Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:19 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by N1120A
Actually, you do require a passport to get NEXUS.
The DHS's website has a comparison chart of trusted traveler programs that says NEXUS doesn't require a passport. The list of acceptable citizenship/admissibility documents for NEXUS includes birth certificates and other passport alternatives.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:28 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CKDGM
The DHS's website has a comparison chart of trusted traveler programs that says NEXUS doesn't require a passport. The list of acceptable citizenship/admissibility documents for NEXUS includes birth certificates and other passport alternatives.
I don't see the list of documents on that page.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by seawolf
I don't see the list of documents on that page.
Look for the row that says "Passport Required" right under application fee.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:09 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Look for the row that says "Passport Required" right under application fee.
Thanks. I was looking for a list of documents; not a Yes/No.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I guess they didn't program the kiosk to reflect the following policy:

CBP at JFK didn't ask to see your passport when you cleared customs?
You may be correct. I may have used my passport in the kiosk.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:51 pm

Old thread, but with incredibly valuable information. It ranks high on Google search results for terms like "nexus without passport."

The CBP WHTI Air FAQ makes it very clear that US & Canadian citizens can enter the US by air with only a Nexus card and no passport:

Q: Other than a passport, what types of documents are acceptable for air travel?
A: Individuals traveling by air within the Western Hemisphere are required to present a passport for admission to the U.S. with limited exceptions.

This Final Rule outlines two additional documents that are acceptable for air travel. The first is the Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) issued by the U.S. Coast Guard that will be acceptable for use under WHTI by U.S. citizen merchant mariners traveling on official business. The other document is the NEXUS card, for which enrollment is limited to citizens of Canada and the United States, lawful permanent residents of the United States and permanent residents of Canada.

Q: Can the NEXUS card be used at any air location?
A: NEXUS cards will only be accepted in conjunction with the NEXUS program at designated NEXUS sites.
However, it sounds like children may be required to have a passport, according to the CBP:

U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business. Note that children are also required to present their own passport when traveling by air.
Is this a poorly phrased way of indicating that children must have their own travel document (either passport, NEXUS, etc.)? Or are they specifically required to have a passport when arriving by air? Anyone have experience or a more clear explanation elsewhere from CBP?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:35 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Travero
The CBP WHTI Air FAQ makes it very clear that US & Canadian citizens can enter the US by air with only a Nexus card and no passport:

Is this a poorly phrased way of indicating that children must have their own travel document (either passport, NEXUS, etc.)? Or are they specifically required to have a passport when arriving by air? Anyone have experience or a more clear explanation elsewhere from CBP?
Slight clarification. USA/CAN citizens can enter US by air with only NEXUS card at US preclearance airports in Canada. Children need to meet the same documentation requirement as adults.

In practice you may run into resistance from the airline with just NEXUS and no passport.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:37 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travero
Old thread, but with incredibly valuable information. It ranks high on Google search results for terms like "nexus without passport."

However, it sounds like children may be required to have a passport, according to the CBP:

The CFR trumps the website and has no special mention of children.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
In practice you may run into resistance from the airline with just NEXUS and no passport.
I would generally agree, although YMMV. I needed to travel last year while my passport was in transit for a visa. Had no problem using only NEXUS with AA agents at LGA and CBP at YUL on my return.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:38 pm

Could someone tell me if my nexus is valid for a land crossing by car although my passport is expired? I hear CBP lets people through but I'm not sure I believe that.

My passport just expired, but i have a nexus. I of course have applied for new one, but can I still travel into US? Looking forward o cross at PAC highway

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 17, 2016 at 5:23 pm Reason: Merge cross-posted posts
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:45 pm

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/passenger-denie...card-1.3029989

Customer flying from EWR on Porter Airlines into Toronto wouldn't allow the customer on without his passport.

He bought a ticket on UAL and they allowed him on with just his Nexus card.
Air Canada allows just the Nexus card.
WestJet says you need your passport.

It is up to the Airlines.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:38 pm

Thanks, but Im not flying. I'm driving as my post mentions
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:40 am

       

Last edited by ksharpe; Feb 2, 2017 at 2:34 am
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: A few, *G,
Originally Posted by Stacey Frayn
Could someone tell me if my nexus is valid for a land crossing by car although my passport is expired? I hear CBP lets people through but I'm not sure I believe that.

My passport just expired, but i have a nexus. I of course have applied for new one, but can I still travel into US? Looking forward o cross at PAC highway
I'd call cbp and ask them directly . Some of us consider a Nexus card validity is based on the status of supporting documents. No one here really can answer the question with certainty.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by surreycrv
I'd call cbp and ask them directly . Some of us consider a Nexus card validity is based on the status of supporting documents. No one here really can answer the question with certainty.
If that was the case then it would expire when the documents do.

Nexus is good for use till the expiration date for it. Having a valid passport isn't needed to use Nexus. It is for GE though since you need a passport to use the GE machines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.