Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by CKDGM
Where were you flying from and to? For domestic flights, I suspect they'd be fine with it; the page says "Canadian government-issued identification" and they could argue that it's issued by the US CBP, but it also says "Passengers who do not have a Canadian-issued identification can present any of the travel documents used to enter Canada (such as passport, NEXUS card, United States Permanent Resident card or Enhanced Driver's License, etc.)" so they probably wouldn't complain.

For transborder flights, their website's "Identification Requirements" page says "Canadian and US citizens travelling between US and Canada must still carry a valid passport even when travelling with a Nexus card, except when traveling from Canadian airports with CBP preclearance. For Porter passengers, this applies to those departing Canada to the US from Toronto-Pearson and Ottawa International Airport."

Because YTZ does not currently have US preclearance, you cannot enter the US using only a NEXUS card on flights from YTZ to the US.
I was told by an agent at US customs preclearance at YYZ that you cannot fly on passport alone. She said nexus card did not prove citizenship, only a passport does that. I think this is contrary to information posted on CBP website, but they make the rules.

It’s possible you’d get a different answer from a different agent, but given there are agents that have this view, I would never fly with only a nexus card - you always need a passport with you. Regardless of the airport.

It would be nice if there was consistency or a way to better understand the rules (I tried and she thought I was arguing with her).

Just wanted to share for others. The agent ultimately seems to make the decision regardless of what is posted on website/info other agents provide.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerjay
I was told by an agent at US customs preclearance at YYZ that you cannot fly on passport alone. She said nexus card did not prove citizenship, only a passport does that. I think this is contrary to information posted on CBP website, but they make the rules.

It’s possible you’d get a different answer from a different agent, but given there are agents that have this view, I would never fly with only a nexus card - you always need a passport with you. Regardless of the airport.

It would be nice if there was consistency or a way to better understand the rules (I tried and she thought I was arguing with her).

Just wanted to share for others. The agent ultimately seems to make the decision regardless of what is posted on website/info other agents provide.
Context (in this case nationality) matters.

As far as CBP is concern, a NEXUS card is sufficient on its own in lieu of a US/Canadian passport as per US regulations. 8 CFR 212.1(a)(1) and 22 CFR 53.2(b)(4)

If NEXUS member is not a USA/CAN national, then there is no passport exemption.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Context (in this case nationality) matters.

As far as CBP is concern, a NEXUS card is sufficient on its own in lieu of a US/Canadian passport as per US regulations. 8 CFR 212.1(a)(1) and 22 CFR 53.2(b)(4)

If NEXUS member is not a USA/CAN national, then there is no passport exemption.
i am a US citizen (and resident for that matter).

i believed this to be the case as well, but the agent is the one you deal with. Whatever they believe is the “law” for all intents and purposes when crossing. I’m not looking to “win” the argument in court. She seemed itching to exert her authority when she asked for passports after I handed her nexus cards.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL-GM/MM, DL-SC (lifetime), Hilton Diamond
Me Too

Originally Posted by flyerjay

I had this happen YYZ the Nexus card does show citizenship, the agent was on a power trip, maybe some confusion with GE card.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and lensovet like this.

Last edited by WI Guy; Apr 9, 2024 at 8:59 am
Old Apr 9, 2024, 8:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
I received a little insight into why the NEXUS might not be accepted by Air Canada at least. On a recent trip from Toronto to Tampa I booked using NEXUS and it was accepted for the outbound flight but not on the return. The AC agent on the desk in Tampa said they could not swipe the Nexus card on their machines which is why they required a passport.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Heyden; Apr 9, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Old Apr 10, 2024, 12:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K; Cathay Diamond; Asiana Club Diamond; SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by Heyden
I received a little insight into why the NEXUS might not be accepted by Air Canada at least. On a recent trip from Toronto to Tampa I booked using NEXUS and it was accepted for the outbound flight but not on the return. The AC agent on the desk in Tampa said they could not swipe the Nexus card on their machines which is why they required a passport.
That's just an lazy agent. They can always manually type in the APIS info as not all travel documents are machine-readable. Of course, swiping is faster and easier but this step is not required.
Rare and Xyzzy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.