Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by CKDGM
Since using a NEXUS card to enter the US by air requires flying from a preclearance airport in Canada (see below) and YTZ is not a preclearance airport, it is effectively required when flying Porter to the US; I suspect they'd rather not get into arguments with people who flew into Canada without their passport and are trying to return to the US, so they make it an airline policy.

CBP's webpage on the NEXUS card says "When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card. "
That doesn't mean the NEXUS can't be used. Officially, it can be entering the US from a non-preclearance airport. It just means you can't use GE because those kiosks aren't set up to take it. You just have to go through the regular line.

In any case, I usually have my passport, but it is a PITA to get at because it's in a neck wallet. I have taken to always bringing it since I lost my wallet once and realized it would be a problem had I lost it (with NEXUS card in it) in Canada.

Last edited by zephyr17; Feb 25, 2023 at 9:26 am
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by herzmeh
Data points:
DL YYZ-SLC -
Check-in agent refused NEXUS initially, asked two colleagues who said it's ok, skeptically accepted it. Got asked for a passport at the the gate, told them don't have it and that was it.

AC EWR-YYZ -
Big stink, AC ended up calling CBSA support line who told them to take it. Gate - unknown yet.
​​​​
​​​​​
Out of all US/CAN airlines, AC and PD are the ones who know NEXUS is acceptable in lieu of passport. It’s on their website. I would file a complaint with AC that their agent needs to be retrained.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:31 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by zephyr17
That doesn't mean the NEXUS can't be used. Officially, it can be entering the US from a non-preclearance airport. It just means you can't use GE because those kiosks aren't set up to take it. You just have to go through the regular line.

In any case, I usually have my passport, but it is a PITA to get at because it's in a neck wallet. I have taken to always bringing it since I lost my wallet once and realized it would be a problem had I lost it (with NEXUS card in it) in Canada.
You need a passport coming back from YTZ.

Passport exemption entering US by air only applies when using a kiosk. As there is no CBP kiosk at Billy Bishop, you need a passport.
SPN Lifer and iamflyer like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Out of all US/CAN airlines, AC and PD are the ones who know NEXUS is acceptable in lieu of passport. It’s on their website. I would file a complaint with AC that their agent needs to be retrained.
Agent (backed up by 3 others) was insisting that if I was a Canadian citizen, it's cool. US citizen - need passport.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:25 am

Agent (backed up by 3 others) was insisting that if I was a Canadian citizen, it's cool. US citizen - need passport.
Guess they didn't bother looking at TIMATIC.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 11:12 am
Original Member

and they are still wrong. Passport exemption applies for US citizen as well on NEXUS flying to Canada. It’s a training issue.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
and they are still wrong. Passport exemption applies for US citizen as well on NEXUS flying to Canada. It’s a training issue.
​​​​​​As evidenced by me waiting on my bags in Toronto right now.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by zephyr17
Guess they didn't bother looking at TIMATIC.
They did but kept insisting that it's only for Canadian citizens.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat
US/Canada Border Crossing Without Passport?

Does Nexus allow a US citizen to cross the US/Canada border without a passport? My passport is held up at the US Passport renewal office. I’m interested in both air crossings and land crossings.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 11:44 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
Does Nexus allow a US citizen to cross the US/Canada border without a passport? My passport is held up at the US Passport renewal office. I’m interested in both air crossings and land crossings.
Yes as far as CBP and CBSA is concern but there is a chance airline may not let you board without a passport especially if not flying Air Canada/Porter. Even if flying either of these airlines you may encounter an airline agent who may insist on a passport.

Last edited by seawolf; Apr 10, 2023 at 8:14 am
Old Apr 9, 2023, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Not sure about getting into Canada or air crossings, but I travel to canada by land a lot and have GE and not nexus, so only can clear on the US side, but have never been asked for my passport crossing into the US at the Detroit/Windsor US crossing. I just put my GE card on the reader before I get to the officer and he already has my pic pulled up on his screen and they ask me a question or two and I'm on my way.

One thing to be careful of though is that the Nexus land crossings aren't 24/7 like the regular lanes so make sure you are doing the crossing when the Nexus lane is open.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:59 pm

By land, definitely. By air, the rules say yes, but as seawolf said, some airline personnel or CBP may insist on or at least request a passport. I have flown using only my NEXUS card, although I had my passport in my backpack just in case. If crossing by land, I leave the passport at home.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
One thing to be careful of though is that the Nexus land crossings aren't 24/7 like the regular lanes so make sure you are doing the crossing when the Nexus lane is open.
It's good to be aware of when the NEXUS lane is open for expedited crossing, but if it's closed you can still use your NEXUS card in a regular lane. You'll just have to wait in line like everyone else.
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:25 am
Original Member

By land/sea passport exemption is in effect 24/7 as it doesn't matter if NEXUS lane is open or not. Just need a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) identification such as TTP/EDL/Passport card.

By air, passport exemption applies when using CBP Nexus kiosk (which implies only available at preclearance airports and during preclearance operating hours). So if you are flying Porter to/from YTZ, in theory a NEXUS card by itself card will get you into Canada as far as authorities (CBSA) is concern but not in the other direction (need passport US bound) due to no CBP preclearance at YTZ. There are plans in the works for CBP to offer YTZ preclearance.
Rare and asovse1 like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:42 am

Not sure about getting into Canada or air crossings, but I travel to canada by land a lot and have GE and not nexus, so only can clear on the US side, but have never been asked for my passport crossing into the US at the Detroit/Windsor US crossing. I just put my GE card on the reader before I get to the officer and he already has my pic pulled up on his screen and they ask me a question or two and I'm on my way.

NEXUS cards are perfectly acceptable in the regular lanes. The crossing at Kingsgate BC/Eastport, ID I have used several times doesn't have NEXUS lanes at all in either direction and the one at Sumas/Abbotsford I use regularly, the NEXUS lane into the US has severely restricted hours (weekday mornings, basically) and I have never once crossed when it was open. I always use my NEXUS card at both.
Rare and jamesteroh like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 3:28 pm

Trying to confirm whether this is ok: My son (9 years old) and I both have Nexus cards (both Canadian citizens). I just submitted his passport for renewal (the old one hasn't expired yet altough on application, they cancelled the old one) and it won't come till 10 days from today. I wanted to travel to Niagara Falls, NY this weekend and cross the land border with him (we're driving from Toronto). Can I still use our Nexus cards on the Whirlpool bridge there and back without issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.