Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Revocations [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
BTW, from that report it appears about 2500 people have lost their GE status as of 1/2014. Fig. 12, p. 55.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:45 am

My partner and I applied for Global Entry roughly six months ago, submitted the online application, was conditionally approved, and went through the one-on-one interview process with CBT.

My application and interview went without any incident, but in my partner's interview they asked regarding a drug possession charged that happened roughly 30 years ago. He answered truthfully and was granted Global Entry.

About a month after the card arrived in the mail and he had activated it, he received a call from the CBT stating that due to the past conviction that he had mentioned in the interview, that his card access was being retroactively revoked and inactivated. The officer provided information as to how to try and remedy this situation which is to provide that the case is closed, and to see if they would re-grant him access.

I would have imagined that if this were an issue, that he would have been denied during the written application process, much less at the interview. Has anyone had an experience like this where you're granted a card and then have it revoked for a charge that was previously disclosed?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by absolutboy20
My partner and I applied for Global Entry roughly six months ago, submitted the online application, was conditionally approved, and went through the one-on-one interview process with CBT.

My application and interview went without any incident, but in my partner's interview they asked regarding a drug possession charged that happened roughly 30 years ago. He answered truthfully and was granted Global Entry.

About a month after the card arrived in the mail and he had activated it, he received a call from the CBT stating that due to the past conviction that he had mentioned in the interview, that his card access was being retroactively revoked and inactivated. The officer provided information as to how to try and remedy this situation which is to provide that the case is closed, and to see if they would re-grant him access.

I would have imagined that if this were an issue, that he would have been denied during the written application process, much less at the interview. Has anyone had an experience like this where you're granted a card and then have it revoked for a charge that was previously disclosed?
Sounds like something came up after the fact. Could be a database somewhere that was queried just got back with information. Since they're asking for paperwork to show the case is closed it sounds like that database either 1)never got updated, 2)or was updated with incorrect information. Basically now they have information that is opposite what they currently have. Thus they need something to prove what really is the truth.

I'm betting getting the paperwork from the court showing the case is closed will be all that is needed. Having multiple databases for this type of information increases the likelihood of information not matching/being updated.

PS Did he provide copies of court paperwork during the interview? If not the agent may have screwed up in approving him without the paperwork, and the system caught the error.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
CBP should have, but did not, request the backup paperwork before approving the partner, but that is water under the bridge.

The partner should do exactly as requested if he wants his GE reconsidered. I'm not sure that "case closed" means in this context and it may be a real hassle locating 30-year old court records, but if you travel enough, the effort is worth it.

Try to track down the court records, obtain attested copies of the entire file (don't stint to avoid copying charges !) and submit exactly as requested.

Note that even if the paperwork is submitted, there is no guarantee of a result, but it seems worth the try.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:55 pm

Thanks to you both for your input.

Here's the update. CBP has given a 30-day time period to send the requested information to them. He no longer lives in the state where the incident happened, and it's quite a distance from where we live now, so it looks as though we are going to need to hire an attorney to get the requested document pulled from court records.

And to answer flyerCO's question. He was not asked or had copies of the paperwork at interview.

I'll let you know the final outcome on this. Just thought it was a very unusual circumstance/call to receive after the fact.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 3:30 pm

Global Entry Revoked

I was in Global Entry for 3 years. All of a sudden, in March 2014, I received a revocation notice. I was never given a reason why it was revoked. I wrote to "ombudsman" several times and requested information under FOIA. All the responses are vague and generic. Since this time, upon each entry into the US, I am subjected to "additional Screening" by customs and they hold me for 30-40 mins.
Can not seem to get any help from anywhere. Looks like discrimination to me. I have perfectly clean record and I am a law abiding tax paying citizen

Any similar experiences?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA G, *G, Global Entry, Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont, Hyatt, Starwood etc
Someone close to me was falsely accused by US CBP of living in the US as a noncitizen. There was absolutely nothing to support this allegation. He has had to carry a book full of documentation of his residence and travels each time he crosses the border, and been detained in order to present it. The friendly helpful agents have ranged from saying "what I can't figure out is why you are still considered a trusted traveler when we don't trust you!" to "why the hell are you being flagged? this is ridiculous!" However, none of them has any clue as to how to reverse the situation. They've given him all kinds of suggestions, but none of them has panned out. Traveling in constant fear of GE card being removed all based on the specious assessment of one agent, probably the high point of his career considering the location. Since there has been no revocation, is there any recourse to anyone?????
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:30 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by landrew
Someone close to me was falsely accused by US CBP of living in the US as a noncitizen. There was absolutely nothing to support this allegation. He has had to carry a book full of documentation of his residence and travels each time he crosses the border, and been detained in order to present it. The friendly helpful agents have ranged from saying "what I can't figure out is why you are still considered a trusted traveler when we don't trust you!" to "why the hell are you being flagged? this is ridiculous!" However, none of them has any clue as to how to reverse the situation. They've given him all kinds of suggestions, but none of them has panned out. Traveling in constant fear of GE card being removed all based on the specious assessment of one agent, probably the high point of his career considering the location. Since there has been no revocation, is there any recourse to anyone?????
(1)Try contacting the Ombudsman.
(2)Contact Global Entry directly. When I had an issue using one of the kiosks, at JKK T8 (in Feb. 2011), I got an "X" AND was sent to the "special room" for further processing [the agent thought it was fingerprint related]. A few days later, I received an email from them, asking me to describe the issue I had. Part that email included:
We would greatly appreciate it if you can please take a minute of your time and let us know the details of your experience so we can better address any future problems.
They would like the system to be "nice" to use.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by Townshend
Canada accepted me with open arms, US rejected me even though I've already been accepted into GE. Go figure?
Update: The Ombudsman sided with me and allowed me to schedule an interview for the NEXUS program. I haven't done so yet and honestly may not as I no longer travel to Canada with any frequency. It took me 7 months to hear a response.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by flyingpolarbear
I wrote to the Ombudsman back in May. In October it will be 5 months, no response.

I remember the words of one of the officers at the airport "you're not the only one."

I had almost forgotten about it and concluded I got caught up in some error from a program experiencing its growing quirks.
Took 7 months for me but I did hear back and the ombudsman overturned the denial. I would still have to do the face to face interview again however.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:40 pm

I was just revoked for GE as well. Here's my story:

Applied and received GE last year. In 2010 I was arrested and given supervision for DUI (I do not have a conviction). CBP was fully aware of this and admitted me after I supplied official court documentation showing the judgement.

Applied for NEXUS a few months ago and got an interview. Towards the end a CBP officer asked for additional documentation which I provided (same documentation I gave during the GE process). Never the less, my NEXUS was denied and subsequently GE was revoked.

Anyone have a similar experience? Tips/suggestions?

I wish I had read this post back in Dec. My story is similar to yours. Applied for GE and disclosed all arrest I had. Took in all court paper work and was approved after 3 months. Applied for Nexus. Went for my interview, but US CBP didn't ask about my arrest. I had disclosed on my Nexus app. Made it seem like everything was fine and i should get my card in 7 days. Next day after my interview I was denied Nexus and my GE was Revoked.

GE letter

We regret to inform you that your membership in Global Entry has been revoked for the following reason:

You do not meet program eligibility requirements.

Nexus letter

We regret to inform you that your membership in NEXUS has been disapproved for the following reason(s):

You have been convicted and/or arrested for a criminal offense
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by dnLwire
I wish I had read this post back in Dec. My story is similar to yours. Applied for GE and disclosed all arrest I had. Took in all court paper work and was approved after 3 months. Applied for Nexus. Went for my interview, but US CBP didn't ask about my arrest. I had disclosed on my Nexus app. Made it seem like everything was fine and i should get my card in 7 days. Next day after my interview I was denied Nexus and my GE was Revoked.

GE letter

We regret to inform you that your membership in Global Entry has been revoked for the following reason:

Nexus letter

We regret to inform you that your membership in NEXUS has been disapproved for the following reason(s):

You have been convicted and/or arrested for a criminal offense
Were you just arrested or do you have a conviction? NEXUS is more sensitive about having an arrest, whereas if you go to GE provided you can prove you weren't convicted they will let that go.

I actually reapplied to Global Entry after I was revoked and got that back within a short period of time. It took 7 months for me to be able to get the NEXUS decline overturned by the ombudsman.

If you actually have a conviction (which I doubt otherwise you wouldn't have gotten GE) then you're SOL.

Best of luck!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:46 pm

Were you just arrested or do you have a conviction? NEXUS is more sensitive about having an arrest, whereas if you go to GE provided you can prove you weren't convicted they will let that go.

I actually reapplied to Global Entry after I was revoked and got that back within a short period of time. It took 7 months for me to be able to get the NEXUS decline overturned by the ombudsman.

If you actually have a conviction (which I doubt otherwise you wouldn't have gotten GE) then you're SOL.

Best of luck!
How Long after did you reapply for your GE?

After the Ombudsman over turned your Nexus app did it gave you the ability to do schedule another interview?

When I went on my GE interview the CBP agent informed me that you could have 1 misdemeanor conviction as long as it was over 10 Years old.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:41 pm

Best of luck!
There are many travelers with convictions who are approved for GE.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by dnLwire
How Long after did you reapply for your GE?

After the Ombudsman over turned your Nexus app did it gave you the ability to do schedule another interview?

When I went on my GE interview the CBP agent informed me that you could have 1 misdemeanor conviction as long as it was over 10 Years old.
Not long, a few weeks perhaps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.