Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
CBSA published NEXUS processing times to get to conditional approval can be found here. The most recently published processing time is below, along with a short history of recent official published times. A longer history of published wait times is here, via the Internet Archive Wayback machine. Please post your personal experiences below in the thread. All posts are appreciated. Thank you/Merci!

5 business days as of 2020-04-29
30 business days as of 2020-02-17
39 business days as of 2019-10-07
40 business days as of 2019-08-28
25 business days as of 2019-04-11

Print Wikipost

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA: MM
Renew Without Interview?

Has anyone renewed their NEXUS and gotten an approval without having to complete an interview? The site says is is possible. Just curious.

TIA
DLM
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by dmunz
Has anyone renewed their NEXUS and gotten an approval without having to complete an interview? The site says is is possible. Just curious.

TIA
DLM
There are quite a few recent reports of this in this thread.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by ayking
Conditionally approved today at around noon. Saw an appt at YYZ for Aug 17 but by the time I confirm I can do it it was gone! Initial appt on Sep 7, checked twice this afternoon and finally got one for Aug 15.

Thanks a lot to everyone. If not for the advice here I'd never have checked this frequently to see if there are any earlier opening, and am really surprised that there are so many changes throughout an afternoon!
Snatched Aug 12 afternoon one morning so I was there yesterday. Interview was almost 45 minutes after appointment time, though actual interview was less than 15 minutes. Make sure you save enough time for the possible wait. Approval email arrived almost instantly after I left building.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
Woah. I applied a few weeks ago and have some Canadian trips scheduled end of this month. By the sound of it, I probably won't get my approval in time for the trips.
Unfortunately, that seems more certain than probable.

I am optimistic, however, about all these open appointments which may be an indication that the summer backlog clearance is picking up steam.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:43 pm

conditional approval, finally!

Applied May 31 for family of 5, all approved Aug 13. Scheduled appointments for Aug 25, but there are slots available in Pembina and Warroad this week. I'm in no rush anymore. Wanted it for a July trip, and we don't have anything scheduled for now.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
You may be able to keep extending your appointment to a later date as long as you a confirmed appointment. I do not have personal experience. Most of us want just the opposite.

NEXUS is a complete separate program from Global Entry. You have to pay $100 application fee for Global Entry. It is not wise to apply for NEXUS knowing one is unable to travel to a NEXUS interview center.
Interestingly enough, my wife's application was just conditionally approved, and there was a big blue "CONVERT TO GLOBAL ENTRY" button next to the "SCHEDULE INTERVIEW" button.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by ahecht
I have been waiting for six weeks for conditional approval, and given how long some of you have been waiting, it doesn't look like I should expect to get it anytime soon. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I will be able to travel to any of the NEXUS centers after Labor Day this year due to other planned travel, so I'm worried that I might not be able to schedule an appointment within the 120 day window once I do get conditional approval.

Once approved, is there any way to pay another $50 to convert the application to Global Entry and do an interview locally, or would I have to let my Nexus application expire and start over with the full $100 fee?
You applied June 6? My young child applied for Nexus in April, $0 fee, was conditionally approved in May, and in July, cancelled the Nexus appointment, saw the button to convert to GE appear immediately, paid the $100 fee to apply to GE, and was almost immediately (1 hour) was conditionally approved for GE.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by TonyLuke
You applied June 6? My young child applied for Nexus in April, $0 fee, was conditionally approved in May, and in July, cancelled the Nexus appointment, saw the button to convert to GE appear immediately, paid the $100 fee to apply to GE, and was almost immediately (1 hour) was conditionally approved for GE.
What is the advantage of GE when you could have had Nexus which includes GE.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by ahecht
Interestingly enough, my wife's application was just conditionally approved, and there was a big blue "CONVERT TO GLOBAL ENTRY" button next to the "SCHEDULE INTERVIEW" button.
Thank you for sharing. This is something new to me. I still think NEXUS is a better deal, $50 instead of $100. You get Global Entry and TSA Pre check for free with NEXUS.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:17 am

If the cost of travel in time or money to a nexus application center is significantly higher than the closest global entry center, I could see why.

Also, many credit cards reimburse global entry fees but either exclude completely or make no mention of nexus reimbursements at all
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by crimsona
If the cost of travel in time or money to a nexus application center is significantly higher than the closest global entry center, I could see why.

Also, many credit cards reimburse global entry fees but either exclude completely or make no mention of nexus reimbursements at all
This and this. I have to take a 4 hour flight if I were to go purely for a NEXUS interview. A GE interview wouldn't take this level of effort on my part.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: Nexus
May approval!

Just an update. 5/25 application time, conditional approval on 7/14 and have an interview appointment scheduled today 7/16 in Blaine WA!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by u2beal999
Just an update. 5/25 application time, conditional approval on 7/14 and have an interview appointment scheduled today 7/16 in Blaine WA!
I think you meant 8/14 and 8/16?

A family member applied in mid-June. Still waiting. Probably will continue to have to wait for another ~3 weeks based on reports on this thread, I'd guess...
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: Nexus
June 2016 applicant

I applied June 12th. Still waiting for Conditional approval.

If approved, I will be looking to book appointment at YYZ.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by u2beal999
Did you mean to say Aug instead of July?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.