Reload this Page >

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Got a seat-swap request last night from FRA-JNB on LH572. Flight was overbooked and spotted a couple in their 60's just about clearing at the GA desk. I pre-boarded in 23D and shortly afterwards they came down the aisle towards me. Mrs 60's started talking in rapid fire German at me for over a minute before she'd listen to even the fact that I don't speak great German ("Ich verstehen Sie nicht. Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut!) and then just said, "No, no, no, my husband must to sit here." I calmly said, "No, this is my seat." To which she responded "8 rows after. You go back."

I had a sneaky look at Mr 60's boarding pass (40B, no thanks!) and got the FA involved. Once she had listened to Mrs 60's get even more agitated she told me the same story - they had been seated apart, would I switch. I said no, because I like having no one said behind me (32 is in front of the galley) and I need an aisle seat. She told Mrs 60's that she had to live with it, but that didn't stop Mrs 60's giving me dirty looks and being over-enthusiastic with her elbows the whole flight. I should've have asked her for cash to move.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by roberino
Got a seat-swap request last night from FRA-JNB on LH572. Flight was overbooked and spotted a couple in their 60's just about clearing at the GA desk. I pre-boarded in 23D and shortly afterwards they came down the aisle towards me. Mrs 60's started talking in rapid fire German at me for over a minute before she'd listen to even the fact that I don't speak great German ("Ich verstehen Sie nicht. Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut!) and then just said, "No, no, no, my husband must to sit here." I calmly said, "No, this is my seat." To which she responded "8 rows after. You go back."

I had a sneaky look at Mr 60's boarding pass (40B, no thanks!) and got the FA involved. Once she had listened to Mrs 60's get even more agitated she told me the same story - they had been seated apart, would I switch. I said no, because I like having no one said behind me (32 is in front of the galley) and I need an aisle seat. She told Mrs 60's that she had to live with it, but that didn't stop Mrs 60's giving me dirty looks and being over-enthusiastic with her elbows the whole flight. I should've have asked her for cash to move.
Did anyone at any point suggest that they ask 40A and 40C if either would be willing to switch with Mrs. 60s, instead of pressuring you to switch with Mr. 60s?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I'm trying to avoid these stories, so I'll post here.

I booked a trip for LWBHBF (I wonder if he joined FT like I told him to?) and I to go to Vegas, and except for a CRJ, picked window for him and aisle for me with empty middle. How do we decide which of us moves when we inevitably have some poor soul stuck between us? I'm afraid of flying, so I say he should go middle seat to hold my hand, but he loves to look out.

Do we flip a coin? Do I naturally move in because I'm bordering on POS (for the record, I'm in a medical weight loss program) and I have the aisle? Do we just keep our seats? What to do, what to do?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by longwaybackhome

I booked a trip for LWBHBF (I wonder if he joined FT like I told him to?) and I to go to Vegas, and except for a CRJ, picked window for him and aisle for me with empty middle. How do we decide which of us moves when we inevitably have some poor soul stuck between us? I'm afraid of flying, so I say he should go middle seat to hold my hand, but he loves to look out.

Do we flip a coin? Do I naturally move in because I'm bordering on POS (for the record, I'm in a medical weight loss program) and I have the aisle? Do we just keep our seats? What to do, what to do?
My wife and I usually keep our seats so we both have it better than in the middle. We are fine with not talking to each other for a few hours so it usually isn't a big deal for us to play the lotto that way.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
How do we decide which of us moves when we inevitably have some poor soul stuck between us? I'm afraid of flying, so I say he should go middle seat to hold my hand, but he loves to look out.

If you are afraid of flying and expect you will want to hold his hand or otherwise need his reassurance in flight, then one of you should take the middle seat. It's not fair to the middle pax for the two of you have extended interaction across the unrelated pax, essentially hold hands in their lap or keep passing things across.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Originally Posted by Segments
If you are afraid of flying and expect you will want to hold his hand or otherwise need his reassurance in flight, then one of you should take the middle seat. It's not fair to the middle pax for the two of you have extended interaction across the unrelated pax, essentially hold hands in their lap or keep passing things across.
Well, yes. That's what I'm getting at. How do we decide who gets the middle seat then? Any creative ideas?

Last edited by longwaybackhome; Oct 9, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:55 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Well, yes. That's what I'm getting at. How do we decide who gets the middle seat then? Any creative ideas?
As a larger person you should keep your aisle seat and your SO should take the middle seat.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
As a larger person you should keep your aisle seat and your SO should take the middle seat.
Especially good if the aisle armrest raises making it easier to get in and out of the seat. On the other hand, taking the aisle and middle seats can be annoying if the other pax needs to access the aisle repeatedly to use the lav and you find getting in and out of your seat difficult.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Be responsible, and fair to the other passenger - buy the middle seat if you need more space - that way, you are comfortable, your partner is happy, and neither of you inconvenience an innocent third party!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
My husband always hogs the window seats on every flight. In the few times that we have had to fly economy I make him sit in the middle seat. That's his "payment" for always getting the window seat. He doesn't seem to mind.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
My husband always hogs the window seats on every flight. In the few times that we have had to fly economy I make him sit in the middle seat. That's his "payment" for always getting the window seat. He doesn't seem to mind.
He's lucky. My wife gets the window - she used to be a sprinter so I know I lose every time if it's eco. Fortunately it's mostly F these days.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:29 am

Let the middle seat pax decide which they would prefer?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
If you must insist on trying this trick - and frankly I think it's bad form - then you should ask the person you want to swap with, which seat they would prefer. He/she is the one being messed around, and he/she is the one who has something that you want. Therefore, he/she is the one who should decide where he/she sits, not you.

If it were I, who were stuck in the middle, I would switch for the aisle, but not for the window.

But seriously, it is often very awkward for the person in the middle in this situation.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
Only happened to me once. I was sitting in the aisle seat and a elderly guy wanted me to swap with his middle-seat claiming knee issues.

This being a flight on Saudia and me not being Saudi, it might not have ended in my favor if crew got involved. Instead I told him to ask the guy at the window seat to switch to the middle, I took window and he got aisle.

On these flights, one interesting dynamic you will come across is if one lady out of a group of ladies traveling without a male gets assigned to you. In many instances, the crew is able to arrange for another lady to switch with you (regardless of what her seat is - you don't have much say at all). Otherwise, you end up with the matriarch by your side. In most instances, when Saudi families travel together, the male will end up sitting in the middle seat to ensure separation from an unrelated male.

The boarding process for these flights is always a treat to observe.

Ro
Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

The person in the middle seat decides which seat they prefer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.