Reload this Page >

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
First, I would use a more descriptive thread title.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:45 pm

Unless that was converted into some kind of "comfort seat" with an issued BP etc I don't think the OP has any claim to it once the other pax no shows.... even if he paid for the ticket originally.

More detail required.

I rang an airline once when I was unable to take a planned trip with friends to see if the seat, or more importantly, the baggage allowance lol could be "retained". Nope.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
if someone sat in a seat that had paid for, I would deal with it then, not days later on FT. I'm weird that way.
Same here. I purchased two tickets for a major sporting event but went alone. I told the person on the other side of the empty seat that I had in fact purchased 2 tickets so this was my 'penthouse'. So when he saw me spreading my things over 2 seats he knew why.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:41 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I don't think you had any right to the seat. Your wife failed to check in and therefore gave up her right to the seat. The airline could have assigned someone else to sit there from the beginning. It's unfortunate, but I would just suck this one up.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Finkface
First, I would use a more descriptive thread title.
Indeed.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Not disagreeing with anyone, but I have a question - If that seat was purchased for someone who never got on the flight, then would the OP have checked in and received a boarding pass for that seat? And scanned both boarding passes as he boarded the plane?

It seems like from the standpoint of the airline this wouldn't be any different than a misconnect, where if the passenger hasn't checked in by T-15 or so, the seat can be given to a standby passenger?

That said, I would have likely asked to see his boarding pass, or called the flight attendant over to referree.
Although OP has paid for the seat, the seat is not on his name but on the name of his wife, who isnt there. This does not entitle him to that seat.

No need for referreeing by a Flight Attendant here.

However I would have certainly argued with that guy as he only gestured to sit there and did not politely ask. I would assume he spoke English so you could have talked about it with him in a polite manner.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:07 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: I've merged this thread into the most appropriate, ongoing thread on the seat swap topic. Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
Originally Posted by cbn42
I don't think you had any right to the seat. Your wife failed to check in and therefore gave up her right to the seat. The airline could have assigned someone else to sit there from the beginning. It's unfortunate, but I would just suck this one up.
OK, let's accept that the OP doesn't have a claim on the seat.

But...neither does the random dude who wants to self-downgrade into a middle seat.

Since no one has a valid claim on the seat, that's who should sit there - no one.

I don't see any reason why the OP should have to put up with a seat poacher, even if the seat being poached isn't technically "his" or "hers".
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by aceman
So on a recent early morning 3 hour flight I was sitting in 1A, a seat with no bulkhead, so a nice long stretch out. 1A & 1B were paid for by me, for the mrs, but she didn't' come, so the seat was empty. 1C was occupied.

As is the norm, we both nicely spread ourselves out, and threw magazines etc onto the spare seat.

At some point in the flight, the guy sitting in 1D (D, E & F all having a bulkhead) got up, and pointed at our seat, making a breast stroke swimming motion, ie please move your things away, and proceeded to sit down in between us, stretch out pull his eye shades down and go to sleep, which obviously had a big comfort effect on myself and the neighbour, who was clearly as miffed about it as me. Obviously I felt a bit of a (misplaced) sense of ownership over that seat since I had paid for it, but ignoring that it certainly had a direct effect on my comfort, I was in essence trading my comfort, for his.

Thoughts? Deny him? suck it up?
Did you have a boarding pass for that seat in your possession? If so then have the guy tossed. Did you get a partial refund of the fare you paid or credit towards a future flight? Suck it up.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:03 pm

A new one for me a few days ago on Ethiopian from Addis to Dubai.

Got up mid-flight to use the lav and returned to find a Nigerian lady had appropriated my bulkhead seat and was pretending to sleep there with eye-mask and headphones on. Summoned the crew to intervene and they eventually shook her "awake". She flatly refused to move and said that I should take her seat instead (middle seat some rows back). She also had the gall to try to lecture me for "disturbing" her sleep and said that she wanted this seat because it was "more comfortable to sleep" and she noticed that I wasn't sleeping so I didn't need it.

Heated argument ensued between her and the crew including threats to have her arrested on arrival and she eventually grudgingly relocated back to her own seat.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B

Got up mid-flight to use the lav and returned to find a Nigerian lady had appropriated my bulkhead seat and was pretending to sleep there with eye-mask and headphones on. Summoned the crew to intervene and they eventually shook her "awake". She flatly refused to move and said that I should take her seat instead (middle seat some rows back). She also had the gall to try to lecture me for "disturbing" her sleep and said that she wanted this seat because it was "more comfortable to sleep" and she noticed that I wasn't sleeping so I didn't need it.

Heated argument ensued between her and the crew including threats to have her arrested on arrival and she eventually grudgingly relocated back to her own seat.
Wow, that was ballsy!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:43 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Wow! I'm speechless over this one...
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:53 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Gregory Nelson
OK, let's accept that the OP doesn't have a claim on the seat.

But...neither does the random dude who wants to self-downgrade into a middle seat.

Since no one has a valid claim on the seat, that's who should sit there - no one.
If no one has a valid claim on the seat, it's first come, first served. Anyone can move to that seat. OP could have moved to that seat if he wanted to.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: AA Explat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
AA ORD-STL, Someone was seated in my pre-selected window seat. I sat down in the adjacent aisle seat, not a word was said. PD Bloody Mary's ensued. A short, but sweet flight. Sometimes the silent request is the most effective.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton

Now this really is the height of cheek. Absolutely jaw-dropping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.