Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by ACN Consultant
I had this happen several years ago on a qantas flight from NYC - SYD. Was bringing the family back to Australia after a summer in Toronto, and had booked myself on a points ticket in J, family in J on our expat package, when they got sick, so we had to delay by a week. Unbelievably, an F points ticket was available, so I booked that and moved the family tickets to a new departure date. The Mrs is all worries that no one will swap seats with me (2 kids under 3, so she doesn’t want to be alone). I laughed and made her bet how long it would take me to convince nearby seat owner to swap. Get on the flight, wait for seat owner, and say, “excuse me sir, I’m in First, but would like to sit next...” boom, guy swaps tickets and is gone. Fair trade, he got a better seat, I got a happy Mrs.
Yes, I've never had anyone refuse to swap their economy seat for my first class seat, when I wanted to sit next to family in economy. Though I've only done that for domestic flights.
Redhead likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by zitsky
Well at least *they* were comfortable. Who cares about anyone else?
Unfortunately, that's very much what happened here. They were comfortable and didn't care about anyone else.
rbwpi and rickg523 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by kipper
They were comfortable and didn't care about anyone else.
Schmucks, a term of endearment they would understand.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
that's putting it mildly ...
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: Executive club Gold
I've only had this once, Husband was in 1K, I was aisle next to him, I forget where we were flying from but this works for us in First as we can share the view and still talk/pass things. A lady was happily set up with her Pjs and champers in my seat. FA asked her to move back to her seat on the other aisle. No problem, however she then went to great lengths to try and convince my husband to swap seats so we could sit together in the aisle and she could have 1K. Insisted we'd prefer it as a couple over and over. Lady, we do this a fair amount and know our preferred set up on each plane and flight duration. We both take windows for shorter long haul like Moscow and Toronto, then split on longer flights across the aisle. If we have our children (no faces please, they are adults) the children take our 1A and 1K and we take the middle. I'm really not sure why she thought she knew better but I do look a fair bit younger than my age and she was older so I assume she thought I was new to first.

Theres quite a few posts saying adults can sit separate on flights and wanting to sit together is infantile (implications to that affect). I cannot sit away from my husband or fly without him, I am extremely claustrophobic and over the years have developed my coping techniques, long haul I'm ok but flying Europe in business I find quite difficult and any unexpected delays can hit me (Recently sat at the gate for several hours with doors closed) A stranger wouldn't be able to respond to the increase in anxiety but my husband or either of my children are aware and can help me manage. Just food for thought.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
The funniest one for me was on BA in Club Europe. I was a little tardy in boarding and find a couple sat in 2D and 2F which is bit odd as I was in 2F and the seat next to me was supposedly free, in part why I moved to it when in the lounge.

Standing by 01D I hold up my boarding pass and do the British thing of apologizing for them being in the wrong seat. The couple feign confusion and get up to allow me to take my seat. I put my rollerbag in the overhead locker but just after doing so the husband then shuffles in again before me. He realizes his error and stands in the aisle again.

I take my seat and then the husband comes across and starts trying to squeeze into 2E. (The fold down tray table that is where the empty middle seat goes was up). He is fairly large and I tell him that's not a seat. Sternly he points up at the overhead panel (this is an A319 with markers for 2D/E/F) and says that it is. He shows the boarding passes and he and his wife have 2A and 2C, which I point is on the other side of the plane. He then moves to 2C leaving his wife in 2D.

After the doors shut they both move themselves to the A/C side. Husband then takes a jab at me, "would have been a lot easier if you'd just sat here instead"....I thought would have been a whole lot easier if you could bloody read, mate.

Honestly...
BearX220, farci, FXWizard and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Fraser; Jan 28, 2020 at 2:01 pm
Old Jan 2, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
I was in 1L on an old-config UA 789 SYD-SFO. More than half of business was empty, including all of row 6. (Rows 1 and 6 have much more foot space, so I always choose them.)

A day or so before departure, someone took 1K. When we boarded, the guy in 1K asked me to swap with his girlfriend in 1E so they could be together! 1D and all of row 6 were free. 4 available bulkhead pairs and he was trying to steal my window seat in row 1.

When I firmly refused, he moved to 1D.
MSPeconomist and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.