Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I had a memorable incident with United 2 years ago that I posted about here. Short version: 2 non-revs travelling together...she was a UA FA and he was a WN Mechanic. He poached my seat to sit next to her, told me I could have his old one..showed me a BP for a middle, but insisted he was "really" in the aisle because he swapped with the aisle guy in that row. BP also said NRSA. The male FA just looked on sheepishly and clearly didn't want to say anything because he knew her. I refused, took my seat, got a sarcastic "Thanks a lot" from the non-rev UA..reported them both at the destination, with UA customer service, and to a sup here on FT who actually did something about it. Point is, at the departure the non-rev FA was noticably buddy buddy with the gate staff. Hugging, talking about old times, even boarded first..I knew going in they were non-revs, but yeah when I boarded,..sure enough...MY seat would be the issue. Of course.
Delta has a very explicit rule that nonrevs aren't even allowed to ask anyone to swap seats with them.
Spiff, SK and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by cbn42
But having the sick baby in Y would be fine? Is the health of F passengers more important than those in the back?

If anything, I think that having the sick baby in F would be better, because passengers are more spaced out than in Y, so there is less chance of someone else catching the illness if it is contagious.
The baby wasn't contagious.
jinglish likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I think babies should be held to the standard for service animals.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I think babies should be held to the standard for service animals.
I caught the note about yelling but happy baby. Do I want to sit next to a happy baby? Hmm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chessman
It doesn't look like the sickness was in anyway contagious or communicable. From the article:
I never suggested that communicability was the problem.

It's just unpleasant to be near a sick baby. Heck, it's unpleasant to have a healthy baby in F.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zitsky
I caught the note about yelling but happy baby. Do I want to sit next to a happy baby? Hmm
Even happy babys fill their diapers. Happy, sad, sick, healthy...it's a baby. Eeeeww.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
That's where I started - I thought that he took my seat because I had taken his. But that wasn't the case. I sat across the aisle from where I was supposed to be, and he took an aisle seat because he didn't want his window.

It was my mistake - that was the point. I sat on the wrong side of the aisle.

When I asked to move to my correct seat, he tried to get me to sit *anywhere but* the seat that was on my BP. I was just recounting his repeated attempts at deflection.

If you re-read my post, it seems fairly obvious to me - the other guy was booked in 3A (window) but was sitting in 3B (aisle). I was booked in 3B, but had mistakenly sat in 3C. I was trying to vacate that seat before the rightful 'owner' arrived, but the guy in my seat didn't want to give it up. He wanted me to take his window. Then he wanted me to swap with his buddy in the bulkhead. Then he wanted me to stay where I was and work something out with the person who showed up with a BP for 3C. At each of those "offers", I said that I wanted to sit in the seat I had been assigned. I don't see how telepathy enters in to the conversation.

Hey, that wasn't you, was it?
No, because I always pre-select a seat I wish to sit in, so I have no need to sit in someone else's.

If I pitch up and someone is sat in my seat (it happens quite rarely) I ask them to shift. If they don't I call an attendant to shift them. On the one occasion that didn't work (as outlined upthread) I threatened to offload with my bags and the purser did the necessary rather than piss off a plane load of passengers.

I didn't feel the need to get into a long windy story about not liking windows, not liking bulkheads etc. That is completely irrelevant....I don't like jam sandwiches either.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I never suggested that communicability was the problem.

It's just unpleasant to be near a sick baby. Heck, it's unpleasant to have a healthy baby in F.
WPFP
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by herzmeh
WPFP
????
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
WPFP
Originally Posted by zitsky
????
Want Privacy, Fly Private
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:11 pm

Got it thanks. Learn something every day.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:39 pm
Suspended

WPFP
That applies to this whole thread....the very subject of which is swapping with strangers. Moot.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:01 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: All posts specifically directed to seating Federal Agents on board have been moved to Omni. Please follow that discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...signments.html
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Ok could do with some advice on how to follow up on this... on a 4ish hour flight, in Y.

About 20 minutes in the CC comes to me and says "Sorry sir, but would you mind swapping seats? The gentleman a few seats forward would like to sit next to the lady next to you. It's still an aisle seat."

Well, I mean ok, an aisle seat for a futher-forward aisle seat, not end of the world if a couple wants to sit together. I look to my seatmate, who says:

"Actually, please don't. You're nice and quiet, but I only just met him, he bought me coffee in the airport, and I really don't want to talk to him."

Uh.

I say to the CC "well, I think it's really up to her", and she pleads with the CC to pass the message forward she's sleeping or somesuch, so not only does he not swap, he doesn't come back to see what's going on. I make it clear I'm not moving if she doesn't want me to.

All that said: WWYD now? Leave it to her to take it up with the airline? Assume the guy spun such a story to the CC that the CC thought it was natural she'd want the same thing? Send a message to the airline explaining what happened and gently suggesting this isn't how the situation should have gone down?

Last edited by typical; Jul 21, 2019 at 3:58 am Reason: Removed some identifying info
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by typical
All that said: WWYD now?
Absolutely nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.