Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
If someone's religion is causing them a problem functioning in public, that is their problem. There is no way I am going to accomodate someone's religion. I cannot wait for the day I am in a similar situation and am asked to move because some other pax is stuck in the Iron Age.
+1
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
The recent law enforcement assault on an involuntary de-board on United pretty much becomes the ultimate seat-swap horror story, at least until someone gets murdered for their seat.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
The recent law enforcement assault on an involuntary de-board on United pretty much becomes the ultimate seat-swap horror story, at least until someone gets murdered for their seat.
Lucky he didn't get Tased in his seat, or on the floor.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by zitsky
Lucky he didn't get Tased in his seat, or on the floor.
The mall ninja thugs operating under the title of Chicago Aviation Security Officers (thankfully) don't have Tasers or firearms.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
so the safest is when the captain says the door has closed.
Unfortunately, it's not always announced via public Passenger Announcement that boarding has completed.
Knowing whether the doors has been closed or not, is tough.
However, even if you are not sure and no one is coming, make sure to claim this row.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
My partner was asked today to swap his seat on a domestic American Airlines flight. His seat was a window seat with no seat in front of his. He had paid for the seat a couple of hours before the flight for the legroom. The other two seats in his row had seats directly in front and had very limited legroom. A woman boards and sits in the aisle seat of his row with a dog and asks to swap with him so she can put her dog in the extra legroom area. He politely declined...and turns out that aisle seat wasn't even her seat anyway and she had to move.
hurnik, windscar and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:56 pm
Pam

Children aren't allowed in an exit row, I wouldn't think dogs would be either.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Pam
Unless said dogs are Emergency Safety Animals (ESA), like peacocks who can use their feathers to push you to safety from a burning fuselage.
SK, Pam, simpleflyer and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by Pam
You have a high opinion of children.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Two somewhat big guys, whose chattiness I noticed at the gate, approached my B middle seat. One was sliding by into his A, while the other casually assumed I would be better off in his C. Well of course, but they probably split the seats to begin with hoping they would have the three seats to themselves.

Last edited by vanillabean; Oct 23, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Two somewhat big guys, whose chattiness I noticed at the gate, approached my B middle seat. One was sliding by into his A, while the other casually assumed I would be better off in his C. Well of course, but they probably split the seats to begin with hoping they would have the three seats to themselves.
I do this all the time -- do you really feel like it's a problem? If the person in the middle really prefers the middle, then so be it; I'm not going to demand that they switch. But it feels like a win-win to me: either my wife and I get an extra middle seat, or the middle seat owner gets an upgrade to an aisle or window (his/her choice).
SK, Badenoch and catcher1 like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by o mikros
I do this all the time -- do you really feel like it's a problem? If the person in the middle really prefers the middle, then so be it; I'm not going to demand that they switch. But it feels like a win-win to me: either my wife and I get an extra middle seat, or the middle seat owner gets an upgrade to an aisle or window (his/her choice).
It's been discussed on here before and it's a selfish choice.

Picture the guy looking at the seat map and there's only middle seats left. He doesn't know that if he picks the one between you and your wife he's going to be lucky and get a window or aisle, so he picks one at random and loses out.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by ft101
It's been discussed on here before and it's a selfish choice.

Picture the guy looking at the seat map and there's only middle seats left. He doesn't know that if he picks the one between you and your wife he's going to be lucky and get a window or aisle, so he picks one at random and loses out.
Yes, it has been discussed here before. Yes, it's a selfish choice, just like any choice is when one makes a preferred selection in a first-come-first-served world. You could make your "picture the guy forced to select only middles" argument against selecting a window or aisle in the first place, so the logic there is flawed. Yes, the guy may be unlucky and not pick the seat between me and my wife (so he never knows what could have been) or he picks that one and gets an "upgrade" to a window or aisle.

This really feels like a non-issue to me.
travelmad478, weather and mmff like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by o mikros
This really feels like a non-issue to me.
But not to those with manners and consideration for others. Unfortunately that's not the world many live in nowadays.
Carnforth likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:30 pm

Anytime you pick a seat, it becomes unavailable to somebody else who might want it and that it is just how it is. When traveling alone, I would like all the couples to leave the aisles open for me to select, but when I travel as half of a couple we take aisles across.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.