Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by rickg523
Don't want to get into a semantic discussion but officious is commonly understood as given to thrusting oneself into the affairs of others or being prone to annoying and usually prying interference in others' affairs.
The guy got up and moved without a word and he proposed diming him out for having the temerity of sitting down.
That's officious, putting it nicely.
By asking for the seat swap, the employee invited the OP to thrust himself into his affairs. So no, I don't think that's officious. Would I have done it myself? No, but the employee opened himself up to it when he did what he wasn't supposed to do.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
By asking for the seat swap, the employee invited the OP to thrust himself into his affairs. So no, I don't think that's officious. Would I have done it myself? No, but the employee opened himself up to it when he did what he wasn't supposed to do.
It's the idea of reporting the guy to his bosses that's officious.
Fortunately, I'm positive that in this circumstance the guy and his boss would have had a good head shaking giggle at the things some people will take time out of their own lives to tattle on..
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
I'm not sure why so many people on here are opposed to "poaching" but will make a trade if asked. If someone wants your seat, it's better that they sit there and wait for you to arrive rather than standing in the aisle and blocking other passengers. If they sit in their assigned seat while waiting for you, then you may sit down and then be asked to move, which is not ideal. As long as they haven't settled into your seat by opening the blanket package and putting their stuff everywhere, I don't see the problem with sitting down and waiting. Of course, I would expect them to be polite about it and move if their offer is declined, but I find this "I say no to poachers on principle" attitude on this thread to be rather ridiculous.
I completely agree. Waiting in your assigned seat can greatly complicate the boarding process. I'll never understand why this is an issue.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjque
I completely agree. Waiting in your assigned seat can greatly complicate the boarding process. I'll never understand why this is an issue.
The big deal is that entirely too many people become convinced they are ENTITLED to the seat they poached simply because they're in it and instead of politely moving when asked by the passenger assigned to that seat, they argue, whine, go entirely non responsive. If so many poachers didn't pull that nonsense, if they simply accepted that this is not a negotiation, that they are ASKING FOR A FAVOR, and that their wishes are not automatically granted by the passenger they've apparently mistaken for the Seat Genie, there wouldn't be hundreds of posts about how messed up the simple process of getting on a damned airplane has become.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Haha, don't people have better things to do than going out of their way to inconvenience those around them? Maybe if they had gotten a toy bear to play with in early childhood, the craving for attention would be less common.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by nmh1204
he wasn't being officious, the employee was in the wrong.
The employee was not in the wrong with respect to the passenger. The employee did not wrong the passenger in any way. He may have violated an employer's policy, but that has nothing to do with the passenger.

The big deal is that entirely too many people become convinced they are ENTITLED to the seat they poached simply because they're in it and instead of politely moving when asked by the passenger assigned to that seat, they argue, whine, go entirely non responsive. If so many poachers didn't pull that nonsense, if they simply accepted that this is not a negotiation, that they are ASKING FOR A FAVOR, and that their wishes are not automatically granted by the passenger they've apparently mistaken for the Seat Genie, there wouldn't be hundreds of posts about how messed up the simple process of getting on a damned airplane has become.
That may be the case, but why make that assumption? If the person sitting there acts entitled, you can respond appropriately.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:25 pm

It's the idea of reporting the guy to his bosses that's officious.
Fortunately, I'm positive that in this circumstance the guy and his boss would have had a good head shaking giggle at the things some people will take time out of their own lives to tattle on..
Where do you draw the line? What behavior deserves to be reported?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold
I'm not sure why so many people on here are opposed to "poaching" but will make a trade if asked.
Poaching is presumptuous. The poacher presumes I should make the trade by the very act of sitting in my seat. Rather than him/her asking me, I'm in a position where I have to initiate contact, informing the poacher that it's my seat. And, as the poacher will be ensconced comfortably with his/her significant other, colleague, etc., there is an intentional application of pressure for me to make the trade.

If I decline and the poacher thinks it's a discussion, he/she may try to debate me from a seated position while I'm waiting to take my seat. Then, of course, the poacher may huff and puff while passively-aggressively slowly collecting possessions. This also seems to leave the poacher's companion with an attitude about the whole thing.

I'm fairly alpha and have no problem at all saying no, and the annoyance of the poacher's companion makes me happy (yes, I'm that guy who replies to an extreme attitude with, "this seat's great...I'm sure glad I didn't trade it!"). Someone trying to push me makes it far more likely not to happen. However, as you see from this thread, many just passively make the move. So, I don't wish to reward such behavior.

I'll almost always make the swap, but ask, don't infringe.

If someone wants your seat, it's better that they sit there and wait for you to arrive rather than standing in the aisle and blocking other passengers. If they sit in their assigned seat while waiting for you, then you may sit down and then be asked to move, which is not ideal.
Yes, that is ideal, because it puts all the effort on the person desiring the seat change, not on me. It's simple enough for the person's companion to ask.

I find this "I say no to poachers on principle" attitude on this thread to be rather ridiculous.
Perhaps. You're entitled to your opinion and all, but if you wish to trade seats, I think following the suggestions ITT will help you to be more successful.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The employee was not in the wrong with respect to the passenger. The employee did not wrong the passenger in any way. He may have violated an employer's policy, but that has nothing to do with the passenger.

That may be the case, but why make that assumption? If the person sitting there acts entitled, you can respond appropriately.
I think after it happens a few times, you just get to a place where you expect a hassle if someone's sitting in your seat. This leads to anticipation of an uncomfortable interaction which makes most people just want to avoid it, thus making that even the most innocent intentions and polite responses feel like an imposition.
As I said before, if so many poachers weren't such a bunch of jerks, most people wouldn't really mind being asked. But it is what it is. Stop poaching.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by zitsky
I would personally draw the line at an impolitely worded request or negative reaction when I declined the swap. I appear to be in the minority. I don't feel it's my job to enforce an employer's policies unless I see a safety risk.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I think after it happens a few times, you just get to a place where you expect a hassle if someone's sitting in your seat. This leads to anticipation of an uncomfortable interaction which makes most people just want to avoid it, thus making that even the most innocent intentions and polite responses feel like an imposition.
As I said before, if so many poachers weren't such a bunch of jerks, most people wouldn't really mind being asked. But it is what it is. Stop poaching.
Exactly. It isn't always easy to shake off such an initial encounter.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
Behaviour that actually impacts another person. Not behaviour that simply upsets their idea of the order of things.
I dislike poaching, and whether it's another passenger, a non rev, or the king of Siam, I'm not granting you my assigned seat if you presumptively take it. But if you move without drama, I'm moving on with my life and in this case wouldn't really want to spend the time reporting the guy...or spend a lot of time with people who would.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjque
It's an issue because it creates and places a burden and inconvenience on the legitimate seat holder and unexpectedly places them in an awkward situation, forcing them to acquiesce or appear like a jerk in public. It's presumptuous and forces the poachers problem upon them.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I read it exactly as worded. Employee asks politely, gets rejected, moves immediately without further discussion. Jerk complains about it to airline and employer. Did I miss something else?
Yeah, apparently you missed the fact that non-revs have strict rules regarding asking rev pax to switch and most policies state that asking revs to switch is enough to get your non-rev privileges revoked. That's just ASKING. What do you suppose poaching will get you?

It is a serious violation and SHOULD be reported.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Don't want to get into a semantic discussion but officious is commonly understood as given to thrusting oneself into the affairs of others or being prone to annoying and usually prying interference in others' affairs.
The guy got up and moved without a word and he proposed diming him out for having the temerity of sitting down.
That's officious, putting it nicely.
It was the employee who thrust himself into MY affairs by putting a burden on me..one I was not in the mood for after a 32 hour trip from South America. Not only did he break the rules, he broke them on the assumption that the person whose seat he stole wouldn't know the rules. Perhaps no more non-rev travel for a year and mark in his record will make him think twice about doing this again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.