Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta, AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I've asked someone to swap twice in the past three months, both on DL. In one case, I asked the person sitting in 7C (Economy Comfort aisle) if he would mind moving to 6C (also Economy comfort aisle) so I could sit across from my family. He was traveling alone, and had no objection (seems like a push or miniscule improvement on his part).

In the second case, I offered to swap an FC aisle for an Economy Comfort aisle (I got upgraded, wife/child on separate PNR did not). The lady in question had absolutely no objection.

I would never poach a seat, or demand somebody move, nor would I ask someone to swap in a scenario where, were I in their shoes, I wouldn't regard the swap as at least neutral.
I rarely am the asking one bc I mostly fly for business so I'm flying alone but whenever I'm asked as long as it's a reasonable approach as you stated I have no problem. I don't even mind moving back as long as I don't have a real tight connection. Had one the other day where a group of ladies were going on a group vacation and I happened to be their row with them with one lady several rows back. She asked once we were all boarded if I minded switching with her as they were all of her friends and I said absolutely. It was nice seeing all of them have a good time and excited about vacation. Maybe its just me but I don't mind being nice to people as long as they aren't trying to screw me over. Hopefully all of this good flyer karma will come back to help me some day.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some airlines already do that. For example, DL blocks the last row or so for gate assignment for exactly this purpose. Perhaps more seats need to be blocked off this way.

IME the problem is that many families don't want to sit together *in the back* (horrors!) of the plane. Sometimes one parent has FF status to get a special (preferred/Y+/C+/bulkhead or exit row) seat and then wants the rest of the nonelite family to sit next to him/here for free.

Folks don't just want seats together--or better yet, the seating that's really required, namely one adult near a small child versus the whole clan together in exactly the seats they want--they want GOOD SEATS TOGETHER FOR FREE.
I disagree. I think everyone wants the best seats on the aircraft, but if a family who is separated for whatever reason is offered the last row together, they will usually happily take it to avoid having to negotiate on board. It needs to be offered before the family boards, and not onboard where human nature kicks in and everyone tries to improve his lot.

I also think the last row is an ideal place for a family with a toddler, and it's the row I select with my three year old if no MCE or E+ seats are available. Easy access to the lav is a luxury with a three year old, and most families with small children are checking bags rather than trying to manage them on board, so being first off the aircraft is of little use.

Last edited by rjque; Apr 19, 2016 at 1:40 pm
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:35 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by HMO
Not really, IMHO.

If this family was assigned only middle seats, they will necessarily need to request someone at an aisle or window seat (considered by the majority pax better seats than middle ones) to be able to seat side-by-side with their child.
True, but in my experience this is rare. Even if the airline cannot get the whole family together in advance, they will usually manage to give them 2 seats together somewhere.

It might be different on the ULCCs that charge for seat assignments , but I don't have enough data points from those airlines.

Originally Posted by PTravel
Yes, and I'm one of those passengers. As we used to say in aerospace, "The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
Yup, you are one of those passengers that is causing the government to start meddling in this.

Maybe, maybe not. A law requiring airlines to seat families together on a space-available basis would solve a lot of problems. If there are seats together, the family can book the block and the airline has to maintain the booking. If there are not seats together, the family has to find another flight. Problem solved.
What would be the point of such a law? Of course an airline will seat families together if space is available. A law saying "do it if you can" is completely meaningless.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
What would be the point of such a law? Of course an airline will seat families together if space is available. A law saying "do it if you can" is completely meaningless.
The reservation system should preclude a family from booking if there are not adjacent seats. If there are adjacent seats, the system should not allow the family to be separated, whether for equipment change or whatever arbitrary glitch results in random seat changes.

A law like this would prevent a family from booking separate seats and then crying about, "but what am I supposed to do?" after they are on-board.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

The reservation system should preclude a family from booking if there are not adjacent seats.
There would be blood running in the streets if any airline did that.

"You are discriminating against people with children! Call the civil rights lawyers!"
Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
There would be blood running in the streets if any airline did that.

"You are discriminating against people with children! Call the civil rights lawyers!"
There might be blood in the streets. However, it would not inappropriate discrimination, either legally or morally.

Here's a thought: the airline could try to programmatically broker a seat swap, e.g. automatically generate an email to booked passengers and say, "would you be willing to change your seat for a drink coupon?" or something like that. Someone accepts, the parents get email notifying them that their booking is confirmed and providing seat assignments.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I'm not sure about your point. My post said, "I've never been offered a better seat." What has your practice to do with that?
I was pointing out that, even if you personally have never been offered a better seat, I offered people better seats twice in a couple of months, so it does happen.

That's the wrong standard. It doesn't matter whether YOU think the swap is at least neutral. It's what the person you're asking to swap thinks. Everybody has their own reasons for choosing the seat that they do and deciding whether to switch or not. The standard is subjective and most certainly NOT determined by someone else who is asking a favor.
I'm talking about my standard for _asking_ someone to switch. Whether or not to switch is entirely up to them. I would never even _ask_ somebody to switch if I thought they'd end up worse off.

In the case of the F seat mentioned above, I certainly think an F aisle beats an EC aisle, which is why I felt comfortable offering it. If the person in that EC seat had disagreed, that's entirely fine, their call.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There might be blood in the streets. However, it would not inappropriate discrimination, either legally or morally.

Here's a thought: the airline could try to programmatically broker a seat swap, e.g. automatically generate an email to booked passengers and say, "would you be willing to change your seat for a drink coupon?" or something like that. Someone accepts, the parents get email notifying them that their booking is confirmed and providing seat assignments.
But the airlines have no incentive to do anything like that. They already take the position that they can change your seat for whatever reason (or no reason). Sure, it would be a much better service to passengers to try to avoid moving people around, but airlines have almost no concern for that. Nor are airlines going to turn down someone who is willing to pay just because there are no current seats together. After all, people cancel reservations all the time, and they get upgraded, making room for more passengers.

Like I said, it would make much more sense for airlines to simply reserve the last few rows for airport assignment, which is similar to what they used to do before they charged for even the most basic coach seats. But, again, the major airlines consider themselves to be in the business of selling a commodity, not a service business, so there is little incentive for them to make things easier.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I think they've switched from reserving the back rows for airport assignment to reserving the middle seats for airport assignment.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjque
But the airlines have no incentive to do anything like that.
We were discussing the parameters of a hypothetical law. The law would be incentive.

But, again, the major airlines consider themselves to be in the business of selling a commodity, not a service business, so there is little incentive for them to make things easier.
Agreed.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I'm talking about my standard for _asking_ someone to switch. Whether or not to switch is entirely up to them. I would never even _ask_ somebody to switch if I thought they'd end up worse off.
This is a very noble perspective. I myself would hesitate, and then go ahead and ask politely if they'd switch. You never know, sometimes boldness pays, or they have a different set of concerns, or [insert other rationale].

Asking politely for a possible inconvenience isn't itself rude. In my book.

But yeah, if they refused I'd probably beat them about the head with my willfulness. Cause I'm civilized like that.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: 1 thousand
It seems like the european solution would be so much simpler: block all seats until checkin, and auto-assign seats for groups. You could still allow seat selection for payment (almost no-one will use that) or with status, and for E+/First/other premium cabins. No unnecessary discrimination, families and other groups get to sit together.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:56 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by sethb
I've never seen that happen. Of course, most of the buses I ride are in NYC and the drivers are New Yorkers.
London drivers can kick off quite happily when they need to Thing is, London transport is at such capacity that the buses are obsessively monitored (they are each GPS tracked). Drivers are under immense pressure to keep things moving, and will get disciplined for not doing so. Doing something that delays the bus is a big no-no.

(Which can also lead to drivers allegedly deliberately skipping stops where a wheelchair user is waiting, due to the time taken to extend the ramp, etc.)
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:43 am

The reservation system should preclude a family from booking if there are not adjacent seats. If there are adjacent seats, the system should not allow the family to be separated, whether for equipment change or whatever arbitrary glitch results in random seat changes.
more precisely, the system should recognize when a reservation includes an underage child, and require a seat selection adjacent to an adult on the same PNR. any attempt to seat a child, by either the passenger or the airline, separately should be prohibited. in the event of IROPS, equipment change, or something else that shuffles seats, the system should put the child+adult into either gate-reserved seats (e.g., bulkhead or last row), or move them up to economy plus or whatever.

i am not aware of any reason why the airlines can't do this. they just don't want to.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by crabbing
more precisely, the system should recognize when a reservation includes an underage child, and require a seat selection adjacent to an adult on the same PNR. any attempt to seat a child, by either the passenger or the airline, separately should be prohibited. in the event of IROPS, equipment change, or something else that shuffles seats, the system should put the child+adult into either gate-reserved seats (e.g., bulkhead or last row), or move them up to economy plus or whatever.

i am not aware of any reason why the airlines can't do this. they just don't want to.
Emirates does this - to some extent - for pax traveling with infants.

Bassinet seats are blocked off on seat maps and can only be selected by pax with an infant on the PNR.

Seats next to bassinet seats are available for selection, but the airline reserves the right to reassign you if a family with an infant needs it (and I've seen it done). [Note: and do you really want to pick a Y seat next a bassinet on an EK long haul???]

Phone CSRs will generally let you reserve a bassinet seat in J (mainly because there are less infants traveling), but will explicitly warn you that you will get the boot if an infant bassinet seat is required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.