Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Actually have a positive seat swap story that was very near terrible for someone, had I not chimed in.

Redeye HNL to LAX in AA MCE, lady behind me had the whole row to herself, a lady in first class saw this, got the FA, and they asked the lady if she would like to move to F aisle and the F pax would take her Y seat/empty row to lay down. Of course Y pax agrees and it's done. I told the newly made Y pax she should sit on aisle and refuse anyone who wants to bum rush a seat since she traded F for a Y row with FA approval, but she just smiled and sat at the window leaving middle and aisle open. No sooner than 10,000 ft a lady on the aisle a row back bum rushes up and plops in the empty aisle the old F pax had open. I could hear as the old F lady nervously tried to ask her to not sit there because of what she had done, but the lady essentially ignored her. Even though it wasn't my business, I chimed in and politely explained it to the girl who bum rushed up a row what was going on. The lady went back, old F pax got her row back to lay down, and an FA came up and gave me a few things of Vodka as a "Thank you" for helping a silly situation.
The "newly made Y pax" purchased exactly 1 F seat, and swapped it for exactly 1 Y seat. The fact that the original Y pax had no neigbors in her row was irrelevant; there was no way she could guarantee it would stay that way throughout the flight.

Had the "bum" who subsequently took the seat refused to leave, I doubt much could have been done about it. And if I was that bum, having swapped a seat in a fully occupied row for one with a bit more space, it most likely would have been much harder to convince me to leave.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:43 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by mikeef
Sorry, don't mean to take this OT but, since we're in a "seat switching" thread, it's likely to end up going that way, anyway. I'm not a lawyer.

What can or can't the airline put in that COC? What's to stop them from sneaking in something like, "On command, the passenger in 18-C must run up and down the aisle while imitating a gorilla?"
Some media outlet or consumer group would probably notice and call them out on it, and it would result in bad publicity. Other than that, airlines can put whatever they want in the CoC. SCOTUS has ruled that they are not bound by requirements such as good faith and fair dealing, due to the Deregulation Act.

Originally Posted by WHBM
It is the law in the UK, and other countries as well. The Civil Aviation Authority here requires that at least one adult in a group which includes a child must be sat with the child. This is seen as a safety requirement in case of an evacuation.

It's for the airlines to manage, which in practice they do flawlessly. I can't see what the issue is with US carriers not being able to look to UK airlines and see how to do it, if they don't know themselves.
They could easily do it, but it would cost them money that they don't want to lose. Right now, they can get parents to pay extra to guarantee they will be able to sit next to their kids, and that is a lot of incremental revenue.

Originally Posted by PTravel
I've always believed that families should sit together, but their gripe is with the airline, and not with me for not moving -- their problem is neither my responsibility nor my concern.
When kids are separated from their parents on a plane, it's almost always very easy to rearrange the cabin to let them sit together without moving anyone to an inferior seat. Unfortunately, too many passengers refuse to cooperate, and families start complaining, and eventually the government has to get involved. When the U.S. Congress starts to micromanage things like seating on airplanes, it's not going to end well for anyone.

This discussion reminds me of signs on buses stating "federal law requires these seats to be made available for disabled passengers". I used to wonder why that law was necessary. Who wouldn't give up a seat for a disabled passenger? But after reading this thread, I guess it makes sense.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by cbn42
This discussion reminds me of signs on buses stating "federal law requires these seats to be made available for disabled passengers". I used to wonder why that law was necessary. Who wouldn't give up a seat for a disabled passenger? But after reading this thread, I guess it makes sense.
if a disabled passenger requests or requires use of those marked seats, the non-disabled passenger who plonked their tush in said seat is required to let the disabled passenger sit there ... the issue, however, is that too many folks promptly forget (or simply don't care) about common courtesy, never mind compliance with the law
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:38 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by jrl767
if a disabled passenger requests or requires use of those marked seats, the non-disabled passenger who plonked their tush in said seat is required to let the disabled passenger sit there ... the issue, however, is that too many folks promptly forget (or simply don't care) about common courtesy, never mind compliance with the law
Worse still are wheelchair spaces on buses - often taken up by pushchairs (fair enough if they're otherwise empty) but there's an awful lot of cases of parents refusing to fold pushchairs and vacate the space to make way for a wheelchair user. Sad.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
I think what will be interesting, though, is what happens in IRROPS. I can easily see a family that booked adjacent seats and weren't given the warning winding up in scattered singles due to an equipment swap or IRROPS. I think they would have a valid argument with the airline though, obviously, not with other passengers. I've always believed that families should sit together, but their gripe is with the airline, and not with me for not moving -- their problem is neither my responsibility nor my concern. Similarly, if the airline decides to move me because of a family, my complaint isn't directed to the family but to the airline.
Should this pass, I think we'll see the warning before booking every flight, regardless of whether there are seats together. It will be about as informative to consumers as website terms of service or the seat belt sign.

A better solution would be for the airlines to block a section in the back that can only be assigned by an airport agent. But that would inconvenience the airlines, and the major players consider themselves to be in a commodity business rather than a service business.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by WHBM
Sorry to have been so "ignorant" of something I've been doing most of my life. How about your credentials then ?

When the U.S. Congress starts to micromanage things like seating on airplanes, it's not going to end well for anyone.
absolutely +1
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:24 am
HMO

When kids are separated from their parents on a plane, it's almost always very easy to rearrange the cabin to let them sit together without moving anyone to an inferior seat.
Not really, IMHO.

If this family was assigned only middle seats, they will necessarily need to request someone at an aisle or window seat (considered by the majority pax better seats than middle ones) to be able to seat side-by-side with their child.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:45 am

guys, can we please get back on topic, this thread was about seat swap horror stories, not legislation
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
The "newly made Y pax" purchased exactly 1 F seat, and swapped it for exactly 1 Y seat. The fact that the original Y pax had no neigbors in her row was irrelevant; there was no way she could guarantee it would stay that way throughout the flight.

Had the "bum" who subsequently took the seat refused to leave, I doubt much could have been done about it. And if I was that bum, having swapped a seat in a fully occupied row for one with a bit more space, it most likely would have been much harder to convince me to leave.
The FA would have told you to move back to the seat on your boarding pass, and you could have either done that or been arrested upon arrival for failing to obey a crew member's instructions (or theft of services).
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by stut
Worse still are wheelchair spaces on buses - often taken up by pushchairs (fair enough if they're otherwise empty) but there's an awful lot of cases of parents refusing to fold pushchairs and vacate the space to make way for a wheelchair user. Sad.
I've never seen that happen. Of course, most of the buses I ride are in NYC and the drivers are New Yorkers.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I've asked someone to swap twice in the past three months, both on DL. In one case, I asked the person sitting in 7C (Economy Comfort aisle) if he would mind moving to 6C (also Economy comfort aisle) so I could sit across from my family. He was traveling alone, and had no objection (seems like a push or miniscule improvement on his part).

In the second case, I offered to swap an FC aisle for an Economy Comfort aisle (I got upgraded, wife/child on separate PNR did not). The lady in question had absolutely no objection.
I'm not sure about your point. My post said, "I've never been offered a better seat." What has your practice to do with that?

I would never poach a seat, or demand somebody move,
Good.

nor would I ask someone to swap in a scenario where, were I in their shoes, I wouldn't regard the swap as at least neutral.
That's the wrong standard. It doesn't matter whether YOU think the swap is at least neutral. It's what the person you're asking to swap thinks. Everybody has their own reasons for choosing the seat that they do and deciding whether to switch or not. The standard is subjective and most certainly NOT determined by someone else who is asking a favor.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rjque
Should this pass, I think we'll see the warning before booking every flight, regardless of whether there are seats together. It will be about as informative to consumers as website terms of service or the seat belt sign.

A better solution would be for the airlines to block a section in the back that can only be assigned by an airport agent. But that would inconvenience the airlines, and the major players consider themselves to be in a commodity business rather than a service business.
Some airlines already do that. For example, DL blocks the last row or so for gate assignment for exactly this purpose. Perhaps more seats need to be blocked off this way.

IME the problem is that many families don't want to sit together *in the back* (horrors!) of the plane. Sometimes one parent has FF status to get a special (preferred/Y+/C+/bulkhead or exit row) seat and then wants the rest of the nonelite family to sit next to him/here for free.

Folks don't just want seats together--or better yet, the seating that's really required, namely one adult near a small child versus the whole clan together in exactly the seats they want--they want GOOD SEATS TOGETHER FOR FREE.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When kids are separated from their parents on a plane, it's almost always very easy to rearrange the cabin to let them sit together without moving anyone to an inferior seat.
That is certainly not what I've seen. IRROPS aside, this happens most often when parents book seats that were separated to begin and, usually, a bunch of middles.

Unfortunately, too many passengers refuse to cooperate,
Yes, and I'm one of those passengers. As we used to say in aerospace, "The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."

and families start complaining, and eventually the government has to get involved. When the U.S. Congress starts to micromanage things like seating on airplanes, it's not going to end well for anyone.
Maybe, maybe not. A law requiring airlines to seat families together on a space-available basis would solve a lot of problems. If there are seats together, the family can book the block and the airline has to maintain the booking. If there are not seats together, the family has to find another flight. Problem solved.

This discussion reminds me of signs on buses stating "federal law requires these seats to be made available for disabled passengers". I used to wonder why that law was necessary. Who wouldn't give up a seat for a disabled passenger? But after reading this thread, I guess it makes sense.[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
The FA would have told you to move back to the seat on your boarding pass, and you could have either done that or been arrested upon arrival for failing to obey a crew member's instructions (or theft of services).
Unless the seat was in a different/higher class of service (i.e. E+) I seriously doubt it.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Moderator deleted quote. The person quoted denies having made the statement.
Is childhood a disability?

Seriously, all major airlines offer seat selection these days. If you're to cheap to pay for it, you've got to live with that and take the seats, that are offered at the check-in.

I'm ready to give up my seat if the offered seat is equivalent or better. If that's not the case, I don't see why I should.

But these days, some parents expect special treatment because to they managed to make a child.

The other day, a lady skipped the queue at immigration in VIE altogether and asked me (as I was the next one in line) to pass because she had kids (roughly 5 and 7 years old). I failed to see the correlation between having kids and the right to skip queues. Baffled (and a bit furious), that I would dare say no to her, she queued behind me. The passengers behind her were visibly angry at her for skipping the queue, but nobody dared to say something to her.

(Fortunately, such behavior is currently the exception)

Last edited by obscure2k; Apr 19, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.