Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travellingwineO
I completely agree.

Of course, I just called CX and had them move my wife to 2A, so I don't have to ask at all.
Good, and that's the RIGHT thing to do. Arrange your seats before the flight. Work at it. Get the seats you want.

What most swap seekers seem to do is assume incorrectly that the airline will put people together automatically, they fail to plan ahead, they fail to book their seats in advance (either by going online or calling) and by assuming total strangers care as much about their sitting together as they themselves do.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Wink

Originally Posted by LondonElite
That advice is pretty rubbish.

If someone is already sitting in the seat you want, no amount of nagging various people on your journey through the airport will get them to change that person's seat. They can ask, just like you, but everyone should be prepared for the 'no thank you' reply.
Not always, as I almost found out the hard way.

I was flying bulkhead, 3-4-3 configuration, I had my favorite window seat. I was flying LAX-SFO-HKG*. I had booked the ticket and chosen my seat weeks before.

I checked in the day before, printed BPs at LAX. I had a 90-minute layover in SFO. Because I'm bulkhead and I don't want to swim upstream to get my bag when I land, I'm one of the first to board in Y.

Machine spits out a new BP and I am in a center, non-E+ seat! I hand the BP to the GA and ask what happened. Fortunately for me, she hit the keyboard and soon, I had a new BP with my original seat. I board and take my seat.

It turns out, the middle seat next to me is empty. There is a guy on the aisle. There's a woman across the aisle from him - his wife. Pretty soon, they have an FA and an urgent whispered conversation ensues. I'm trying to read my book, not paying too much attention. Then the FA asks me if I'm happy with my seat. Um, yes. He asks if I want to switch to an exit row farther back with more legroom - but farther back, no window. Um, no.

I don't know if the couple got someone in the lounge or a lazy GA, but they had asked for a seat reassignment and the result was that I got booted from an E+ seat to a non-E+ center seat - even when there were other E+ and non-center E seats available, including the center seat next to mine.

The wife kept raising her voice during the whispered conversations and saying "but he's my husband"! It turned out that they wanted the 3-seat bulkhead section to themselves with an empty middle seat. They tried to convince the FA that something fishy must have gone on and that they'd been screwed - the husband argued that one of them should be allowed to take an open seat up front as 'compensation'.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chollie

I was flying bulkhead, 3-4-3 configuration, I had my favorite window seat. I was flying LAX-SFO-HKG*. I had booked the ticket and chosen my seat weeks before.

I checked in the day before, printed BPs at LAX. I had a 90-minute layover in SFO. Because I'm bulkhead and I don't want to swim upstream to get my bag when I land, I'm one of the first to board in Y.

Machine spits out a new BP and I am in a center, non-E+ seat! I hand the BP to the GA and ask what happened. Fortunately for me, she hit the keyboard and soon, I had a new BP with my original seat. I board and take my seat.

It turns out, the middle seat next to me is empty. There is a guy on the aisle. There's a woman across the aisle from him - his wife. Pretty soon, they have an FA and an urgent whispered conversation ensues. I'm trying to read my book, not paying too much attention. Then the FA asks me if I'm happy with my seat. Um, yes. He asks if I want to switch to an exit row farther back with more legroom - but farther back, no window. Um, no.

I don't know if the couple got someone in the lounge or a lazy GA, but they had asked for a seat reassignment and the result was that I got booted from an E+ seat to a non-E+ center seat - even when there were other E+ and non-center E seats available, including the center seat next to mine.

The wife kept raising her voice during the whispered conversations and saying "but he's my husband"! It turned out that they wanted the 3-seat bulkhead section to themselves with an empty middle seat. They tried to convince the FA that something fishy must have gone on and that they'd been screwed - the husband argued that one of them should be allowed to take an open seat up front as 'compensation'.

LOL. I would have spoken up and said "You can sit together! The middle beside your husband is open!"
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
LOL. I would have spoken up and said "You can sit together! The middle beside your husband is open!"
That's precisely what I was thinking!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by LondonElite
That's precisely what I was thinking!
It took me (and the FA) a while to understand that wasn't all they wanted.

They wanted to sit 'together' but neither wanted a middle seat and they did not want anyone sitting between them.

Worked for me - I got my seat back, fortunately. If I had boarded after them, I probably wouldn't have gotten it back.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Just to add to this, I would not expect the person in 1k to switch. They clearly chose it before you did. Therefore 1a would have been still available when they booked. If they had wanted 1a, they would have booked it.
According to the poster, "seats just opened up" and they were assigned. So was that seat actually chosen?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Pulley
I remember flying back from STT on Delta in an aisle exit row. The young lady in the middle seat asked if her friend a few rows up and in a middle seat could swap seats . Politely declined and then suggested that the passenger next to her friend would probably switch with her. She became indignant and pouted the whole flight. As someone said earlier the majority of the seat swaps are for an inferior seat.
They both had middles, so the person next to her friend might not want to switch either.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
According to the poster, "seats just opened up" and they were assigned. So was that seat actually chosen?
Nope. They were assigned and there was no way to make any changes on the website. The website also said changes need to be made at check-in. On a whim, I called anyway and the agent made the change.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:49 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by chollie

I'll expect at least to be moved to the wife's aisle seat...
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
My policy is simple. Choose an aisle seat, if one is available. If a non-aisle seat is arbitrarily assigned, contact the airline and ask to be moved to an aisle, if one is available. If none are available, bad luck.
You can't always get what you want. Sometimes, what you want is not available. That is just a fact of life.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travellingwineO
Nope. They were assigned and there was no way to make any changes on the website. The website also said changes need to be made at check-in. On a whim, I called anyway and the agent made the change.
That's what I thought you meant. So the person in 1K probably didn't select it either, just got randomly assigned it, and might well be willing to switch.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by mikebg
Why?

Why are so many of us so obsessed with "principles" like "your assigned seat", as if it had been dictated to them direct from heaven?
On the other hand, why should anyone explain him/herself to a stranger? There are people with OCD, people who are afraid to fly, stressed, nervous or simply like for things to be in a particular order. Why should anyone explain or justify him/herself to a stranger? It is not just a 'principle' - for many people it does cause a great emotional discomfort. Ever watched Monk TV show? If a person is happy to switch they will switch, and if someone does not want to - for whatever reason - they owe no one an explanation, and they certainly do not deserve a payback. You make it seem as if people refuse to give up their seats by some evil design, whereas for some it may cause discomfort to travel in a seat assigned to somebody else (no matter what anyone else may think of it).

Originally Posted by theddo

The point is it doesn't matter why you think someone else should do what you'd prefer. They have every right to refuse to do you a favour, for any reason. You don't know why, and you aren't entitled to know why, someone would refuse such a request.
+1
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Sit in your own seat. I really don't care why you want mine. I booked this seat and/or picked it for a reason. I'm sure someone will quote this opinion as Exhibit A for why I'm a terrible human being, but I would posit that that label should be reserved for the ones that feel entitled to my seat.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Sit in your own seat. I really don't care why you want mine. I booked this seat and/or picked it for a reason. I'm sure someone will quote this opinion as Exhibit A for why I'm a terrible human being, but I would posit that that label should be reserved for the ones that feel entitled to my seat.
As a WN A-lister, I am sure you can relate to the major issues solo travelers get with the Lovebird seats..If you ever wanted to have a couple try to guilt you out of your seat, those are the seats.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
As a WN A-lister, I am sure you can relate to the major issues solo travelers get with the Lovebird seats..
Its not just the love seats. As a solo traveler, sometimes I think I have a sign on my head that says "Ask Me to Move to Accommodate Your Seating Arrangements". Happens everywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.