Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by PTravel
That's the wrong standard. It doesn't matter whether YOU think the swap is at least neutral. It's what the person you're asking to swap thinks. Everybody has their own reasons for choosing the seat that they do and deciding whether to switch or not. The standard is subjective and most certainly NOT determined by someone else who is asking a favor.
I can't know what somebody else thinks about the swap without asking, can I?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sethb
No, arrested for failing to obey a flight attendant.

If the swap is to a better (e.g. C+) seat, then yes, theft of services would be a charge.
Have a read of this thread. Despite all the tough talk, nothing ever happens in the instances.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-upgrades.html

I'd be all for it, but it just doesn't happen the way you think it does.

Last edited by LondonElite; Apr 21, 2016 at 1:50 pm
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by rbwpi
Can you be arrested for failing to obey a FA if their request has nothing to do with the safe operation of the aircraft?
As it is the airline's call, not yours, re: whether your actions "interfere with the safe operation of the aircraft," yes. You can be arrested for pretty much anything -- even things that in your view are perfectly benign. So keep your head down.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by rbwpi
Can you be arrested for failing to obey a FA if their request has nothing to do with the safe operation of the aircraft?
The crew can call the applicable law enforcement agency and ask them to take you into custody upon landing. The law enforcement agency will do so on their request. You might be able to argue your way out of their hands on this basis after the fact, but not immediately. If you do, which is far from certain, you may be able to claim that you were not technically arrested - but you will surely go through a lot of hassle and waste a lot of time until that happens.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:01 pm

Today a good reminder to board as early as possible. I am in 9C (an aisle). A large group of non-English speaking passengers board. Two are in the middle and window next to me, one is in the middle across the aisle (9E). As I stood up to let in the two next to me, they brusquely gestured at the middle seat across the aisle and waved to their friend to take my seat. Nope. Why would I do that? But I Have a feeling had I not boarded earlier, I would have found them firmly settled and would have had to have a bit more of a to-do.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by lvnvflyer
Today a good reminder to board as early as possible. I am in 9C (an aisle). A large group of non-English speaking passengers board. Two are in the middle and window next to me, one is in the middle across the aisle (9E). As I stood up to let in the two next to me, they brusquely gestured at the middle seat across the aisle and waved to their friend to take my seat. Nope. Why would I do that? But I Have a feeling had I not boarded earlier, I would have found them firmly settled and would have had to have a bit more of a to-do.
Good for you for standing your ground. Wish more people were like you to deter seat poachers and their sense of entitlement.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
...and another equipment substitution, this one months out.

We had non-exit bulkheads 3 on one side, one across on the other side. Of course, no notification from their airline, and when I look (for another schedule change on the itinerary) we're split 2 and 2, two of us in a non-exit bulkhead, two way back behind the wing.

And the aisle on the other bulkhead was taken, as was the aisle one row back.

Right now, I've switched it to 7AB/8BC and the poor schlub in 7C is going to LOVE all the traffic handing things back and forth, and the poor schlub in 8A is going to like it even less. I could take 7ABC,7F, but what are the odds that 7D is going to be willing to trade? (non-zero, since there is a reasonable access to the aisle, but it's not super.)

Last edited by nkedel; Apr 27, 2016 at 10:57 am
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
. . . . and the poor schlub in 7C is going to LOVE all the traffic handing things back and forth, and the poor schlub in 8A is going to like it even less.
Unless it's your boss or mother in law etc. then you might find your attitude changes somewhat.

I can't imagine going out to make a blameless guy's (7C's) journey into a nightmare.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by ft101
Unless it's your boss or mother in law etc. then you might find your attitude changes somewhat.

I can't imagine going out to make a blameless guy's (7C's) journey into a nightmare.
I'm not trying to make anyone's trip a nightmare. If the airline had just assigned comparable seats during the equipment swap, everyone would be happy except for the folks who got the bulked aisle on the other side after the equipment swap.

There are no good options that keep any of the bulkhead seats, and the only rows with ABC-D or C-DEF are quite a ways further back. Any other option is going to have either one of the adults too far away to assist, or 2-and-2 in separate rows with someone stuck in the same row as kids.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
...and another equipment substitution, this one months out.

We had non-exit bulkheads 3 on one side, one across on the other side. Of course, no notification from their airline, and when I look (for another schedule change on the itinerary) we're split 2 and 2, two of us in a non-exit bulkhead, two way back behind the wing.

And the aisle on the other bulkhead was taken, as was the aisle one row back.

Right now, I've switched it to 7AB/8BC and the poor schlub in 7C is going to LOVE all the traffic handing things back and forth, and the poor schlub in 8A is going to like it even less. I could take 7ABC,7F, but what are the odds that 7D is going to be willing to trade? (non-zero, since there is a reasonable access to the aisle, but it's not super.)
Why not 7ABC and 8C? or 8D if available?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by sethb
The subthread was about people taking seats that weren't theirs and whether an FA would tell them to move, and if they'd be required to move if the FA did.
None of which involved an actual change in class of service, other than one C passenger assuming that her one Business seat entitles her to three in Y.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:27 am

I'm not trying to make anyone's trip a nightmare. If the airline had just assigned comparable seats during the equipment swap, everyone would be happy except for the folks who got the bulked aisle on the other side after the equipment swap.
But they did, so you are - "the poor schlub in 7C is going to LOVE all the traffic handing things back and forth".

Now by your own admission there are suitable seats further back.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Have a read of this thread. Despite all the tough talk, nothing ever happens in the instances.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-upgrades.html

I'd be all for it, but it just doesn't happen the way you think it does.
So, what ended up happening? The thread doesn't say.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
None of which involved an actual change in class of service, other than one C passenger assuming that her one Business seat entitles her to three in Y.
For a value of "assuming" meaning "asking the FA, who agrees".
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Basically nothing. And it has been reported on the BA thread (by employees) that the airline is pretty much unable to do anything about this. I of course don't agree with it, but it seems like the tough approach actually doesn't work. Other airlines may be different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.