Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: UA, HA
Out of curiosity, anyone ever take you up on it when you offer to accept cash for your seat? Is this flatly unauthorized (if a FA witnesses)?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
IMO it's perfectly acceptable and reasonable to decline to trade seats for any reason or no reason at all.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by be001
Business for business, window for window,not changing to bulkhead or ANYTHING different. Except 2 rows forward. And he says "i'd prefer not to"

I am waiting for him to ask to go to the bathroom. I am going to say "I'd prefer not to move right now"
A traveler without a deep sense of personal entitlement would accept the answer and not fantasize about petty payback. It's attitudes like this that increase my resolve to never accommodate a seat swap request. Can't sit near your pregnant wife? Not my problem and I don't care.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by casualhopper
Virgin Australia, From BNE -> LAX, on the 773.

I'm on a consolidator fare, and have no status on VA. I kindly asked the gate agent if any bulkhead seats were available. I was granted a new boarding pass with a economy bulkhead "letter J" seat (Middle seat, Right most section).
On this particular flight, the H and J seats have significantly more leg room as K is blocked by the bulkhead.

As I went to my seat, I found a large pile of stuff (purse, empty plastic bags) piled onto my seat, with a gentleman and his wife taking seats H and K respectively. As I sat down, the lady in K offered to trade seats with me.

I declined, but offered to take the husband's seat in H instead. They refused the swap, so I sat down.

A few minutes later, they brought a flight attendant over with them, who then pressured me to swap seats again into seat K. I produced my boarding pass, and again stated I'd be happy to swap seats with the husband - but not the wife, as I prefer having the extra leg room.

At this point, the flight attendant explains to me that bulkhead seats, especially aisle seats, are reserved for those who paid extra and those with elite status. I held my ground and stated that this is the seat that's on my boarding pass, and once boarded, amount paid no longer mattered.

Flight attendant left for a few minutes, came back, and upgraded both the husband and wife to a forward cabin (either W or J). That's fine with me, as I'm finally left alone in my seat.

On deplaning, the flight attendant sought me out and asked me for my boarding pass, so she can make a note of it to corporate. I handed her my boarding pass, and went on my way. This last action was somewhat infuriating - does Virgin really have a corporate policy of elites pushing kettles around however they like?
You should have refused to produce your BP upon deplaning. You actually might get the GA at your embarkation in trouble.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by casualhopper
Virgin Australia, From BNE -> LAX, on the 773.

I'm on a consolidator fare, and have no status on VA. I kindly asked the gate agent if any bulkhead seats were available. I was granted a new boarding pass with a economy bulkhead "letter J" seat (Middle seat, Right most section).
On this particular flight, the H and J seats have significantly more leg room as K is blocked by the bulkhead.

As I went to my seat, I found a large pile of stuff (purse, empty plastic bags) piled onto my seat, with a gentleman and his wife taking seats H and K respectively. As I sat down, the lady in K offered to trade seats with me.

I declined, but offered to take the husband's seat in H instead. They refused the swap, so I sat down.

A few minutes later, they brought a flight attendant over with them, who then pressured me to swap seats again into seat K. I produced my boarding pass, and again stated I'd be happy to swap seats with the husband - but not the wife, as I prefer having the extra leg room.

At this point, the flight attendant explains to me that bulkhead seats, especially aisle seats, are reserved for those who paid extra and those with elite status. I held my ground and stated that this is the seat that's on my boarding pass, and once boarded, amount paid no longer mattered.

Flight attendant left for a few minutes, came back, and upgraded both the husband and wife to a forward cabin (either W or J). That's fine with me, as I'm finally left alone in my seat.

On deplaning, the flight attendant sought me out and asked me for my boarding pass, so she can make a note of it to corporate. I handed her my boarding pass, and went on my way. This last action was somewhat infuriating - does Virgin really have a corporate policy of elites pushing kettles around however they like?
Did you ask her for her ID so you could report her to corporate for attempting to bully you out of the seat on your boarding pass?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by payam81
You should have refused to produce your BP upon deplaning. You actually might get the GA at your embarkation in trouble.
I wouldn't like the idea of some random FA retaining my boarding pass containing my full name, FF number, PNR, etc. She might be able to cancel the rest of your ticket or move you to extremely undesirable seats.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Exactly

Originally Posted by Badenoch
A traveler without a deep sense of personal entitlement would accept the answer and not fantasize about petty payback. It's attitudes like this that increase my resolve to never accommodate a seat swap request. Can't sit near your pregnant wife? Not my problem and I don't care.
Your issue is not my issue.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Out of curiosity, anyone ever take you up on it when you offer to accept cash for your seat? Is this flatly unauthorized (if a FA witnesses)?
I am sure it is considered "Gray Market" and the airline would not approve. To what extent they have instructed crews to stop it should they witness it is something I don't know.

I have never been offered nor asked for money during a seat swap, but I may just do it if the situation ever presents itself again. And it would be well above market prices, and of course, the requestor must have sufficient cash.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Paying by buying the other passenger a drink seems to be OK, but it's not a very big payment.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by be001
Currently on a delta flight with my pregnant wife - this is the last week she can travel so, very pregnant. Our flight got delayed so we had to switch onto a new flight. Our seats aren't together. Business class. I am on the aisle. She is 2 rows forward on the window. We get on the plane and ask the guy next to her if he would mind switching. He says, sure, but he can't walk so we would need to find people to carry him. Nicest guy, but of course thats not necessary.

So I go to ask the guy next to me, maybe 31 years old. He can walk without help. He is mowing down on his eggs. I say, "hey man my wife is really pregnant, would you mind moving up to that window seat right up there?"

Business for business, window for window,not changing to bulkhead or ANYTHING different. Except 2 rows forward. And he says "i'd prefer not to"

I am waiting for him to ask to go to the bathroom. I am going to say "I'd prefer not to move right now"
The simplest solution would have been for you to swap seats with your wife.
That way, she would have had an aisle seat, without inconveniencing anyone else.

Your wife is an adult and she's pregnant, not sick. She's old enough to sit on a plane without you beside her.
By swapping seats with her, you would have avoided any problem she might have had with accessing a window seat. You had no need at all to ask other people to solve your perceived problem and you had no right to expect they should.
iflymsy and Cotumely like this.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I am sure it is considered "Gray Market" and the airline would not approve. To what extent they have instructed crews to stop it should they witness it is something I don't know.

I have never been offered nor asked for money during a seat swap, but I may just do it if the situation ever presents itself again. And it would be well above market prices, and of course, the requestor must have sufficient cash.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Paying by buying the other passenger a drink seems to be OK, but it's not a very big payment.
Yeah, I guess I was falling into the passive-aggressive trap, albeit with good humor. As in, if I say, "Sure! Only $500" then I get to put the onus back on the dude. But as so many here have noted, it's best not to engage with people who won't take a simple no. Let the FAs sort it out. Although one does like to save them the headache, if possible.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wouldn't like the idea of some random FA retaining my boarding pass containing my full name, FF number, PNR, etc. She might be able to cancel the rest of your ticket or move you to extremely undesirable seats.
Exactly. I would have told her no. It's not like she can't get the name from the seat roster.

I think she needed to justify the onboard UG and needed it for a report she is required to do. Why help her out? She certainly didn't help the guy out. Let her do the legwork for the report.

The fact that she even asked suggests that she was not 100% sure she was within policy, and may get in a bit of trouble for giving them the ug. If she was confident about her leeway in that situation, she wouldn't have troubled herself to get his info.

Besides, at that point it's not even anyones problem but her own.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:23 pm

There could be more personal information on the boarding pass than what's on the flight manifest. Moreover, I'm not sure that a FA (perhaps as opposed to the purser, service director, or whatever the lead position is called) is entitled to see the flight manifest after the end of the flight.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:41 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by rudycantfail0
..She angrily holds her boarding pass up so he can see it, and he realizes she's actually in a middle seat in the middle section. He tells her he'd like his original seat back. At this point, she strangely lost the ability to speak English. She started yelling at him in a language I didn't understand, gave him a dismissive wave of the hand, and eventually turned away and refused to communicate any further. He stood there for a minute saying "Excuse me. Excuse me." but eventually gave up and took the middle seat in the middle section..
Wow ... what a victory for her.

Rudeness and lying often has good returns but such an Earth shattering Endsieg, I have yet to witness .
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Badenoch
and not fantasize about petty payback.
Especially since there was absolutely nothing to pay back for - nobody took anything from them and they travelled in their assigned seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.