Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by CarolynUK
Like many others on the thread, my experience is that those who desire swaps in the main always want to improve their situation rather than offering up their own more attractive seat for trade.

My own experience was on a BA flight from AMS to LGW. I had selected seat 1F when online check in opened (and I had nearly the whole cabin to choose from at that point), and was one of the first to board and settle into my seat with my book. I became aware of a couple of older ladies standing in the aisle having a discussion ABOUT me rather than WITH me.

One of the ladies was clearly my 1D seat mate, and they wanted me to swap seats with her friend, but weren't asking me outright - it was things like "I'm sure she'll move for you" and "we need to sit together" rather than "Excuse me would you mind swapping seats with me as I would like to sit next to my friend?". I interrupted their chat and told them that I would not be changing my front row window seat for her aisle seat at the rear of the cabin, and suggested that if they wished to sit together, that they could ask the person at the back if they would like to swap for the front row.

At this point, the companion attempted to sit in 1E (BA block out the centre seat in their business cabin) at which point the cabin crew member intervened and told her to go to her seat, and reiterated that they should ask the other passenger if they wished to swap. Needless to say, Mrs 1D had no intention whatsoever of changing her prime seat for a window seat in row 6, and the sat down very grumpily (I don't think her friend bothered asking her seatmate to swap!

It was funny watching the behaviour of Mrs 1D though. She dumped her huge bag in the centre seat immediately the seatbelt light went off trying to stop me getting any benefit from it (didn't need it as I already had everything I needed for the flight), tried to obstruct the F&B service ( but the nice FA simply leaned round the bulkhead to hand me my drink and then my food tray), and refused to move to let me out for the loo - again the set up meant that I didn't actually need her to move, so all her attempts to make me uncomfortable and punish me for not giving in were absolutely wasted. Her infantile behaviour was not lost on other passengers in the cabin either, quite a few of whom laughed with me as we were waiting for our luggage. The cabin crew were also highly amused by her antics, as the chap who had thrown the middle seat squatter out rolled his eyes in her direction as I went back to my seat.
Stories like that kind of makes me wish you could keelhaul people during our voyages.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
If it's standing it's not a poacher.

If it's already planted its fat arse in your seat then it is, and it has the potential to try to make you look like the bad guy.
That is exactly what I do (standing), but only because I know some people are bothered by sitting. The standing/sitting distinction seems arbitrary, but to each his own.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220

Once the rightful owner sits down, a swap request becomes twice as onerous.
Why? It still involves the same question.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by rjque
That is exactly what I do (standing), but only because I know some people are bothered by sitting. The standing/sitting distinction seems arbitrary, but to each his own.
It's not at all arbitrary, the distinction is clear: you ask before sitting it's a request. You park your arse in my seat without asking it's poaching. There only seems to be one person in this thread who seems to have trouble seeing the difference.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:07 pm

I also don't understand why someone would need to stand by the seat they want as opposed to going to their assigned seat first. Presumably they want the trade to sit with their companion. They can take their assigned seat and their companion can ask about the swap before the passenger sits down. If they're not trying to sit with a companion surely they don't deserve the new seat over it's rightful owner as they think it is better than the one they already have.

When travelling with my family of 5 I book windows and aisles in 3 adjacent rows. That way we may luck out to have an empty middle seat and if not and desire to sit together usually the middle passenger would prefer an aisle or window and make the trade and if they don't so be it. Most of the time we don't even ask, I'm happy in the aisle with one of the kids at the window with a passenger in between (note, virtual non-existent interaction needed, we're not disturbing the middle passenger). We've also experienced plane changes and our seats shifted around far apart from each other for a TPAC but there is no need to sit together, we can survive sitting separately.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Ice Machine
When travelling with my family of 5 I book windows and aisles in 3 adjacent rows. That way we may luck out to have an empty middle seat and if not and desire to sit together usually the middle passenger would prefer an aisle or window and make the trade and if they don't so be it. Most of the time we don't even ask, I'm happy in the aisle with one of the kids at the window with a passenger in between (note, virtual non-existent interaction needed, we're not disturbing the middle passenger). We've also experienced plane changes and our seats shifted around far apart from each other for a TPAC but there is no need to sit together, we can survive sitting separately.
Question-Do you actually pay to select your seats upon booking and if you do, why not select the entire row of 3 on one side of the plane and the other two in the row in front or behind?

I understand selecting a window/aisle in the row of 2 and hoping the middle will stay free as a better choice than a middle with either the window or aisle in the row of 2.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Question-Do you actually pay to select your seats upon booking and if you do, why not select the entire row of 3 on one side of the plane and the other two in the row in front or behind?

I understand selecting a window/aisle in the row of 2 and hoping the middle will stay free as a better choice than a middle with either the window or aisle in the row of 2.
No, these would all be flights in economy and not paying to select seats. I don't mind sitting apart and taking the chance on an empty middle (sometimes actually prefer a bit of space between us all). I used to do the 3 and 2 just prefer it this way now and put myself as a loner in third row aisle.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by travellingwineO
Pardon my ignorance, but how does one tell that another passenger is non-rev?
I should have told the whole story.

I asked him what seat he was assigned, just in case it happened to be better. He showed me a BP for a middle seat a few rows up, and tried to fold the BP so I wouldn't see the "NRSA" printed on the pass...that means he is non-rev. However, I glimpsed it before he covered it up.

The second indication was that his GF, who he wanted to sit next to, later took out her UA id badge and placed it on her tray table, and got into a conversation with the window seat pax...basically telling him that both she and her BF (the poacher) were airline emps flying non-rev, and that he was a WN employee.

Normally you won't get so lucky as to get a full admission like that. However, you can usually tell by asking to see their BP and looking for NRSA, and by their interaction with the cabin crew which tend to be very familiar. You may also see them before the flight at the GA desk because they are flying standby most of the time and eager to see if they are going to make the flight.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by saxman66
The thing is that the non-rev is question wasn't even riding on his/her own airline. United can't really punish someone that doesn't work for them. And I seriously doubt Southwest would even take the time to figure who it was out of thousands of employees, especially when it wasn't even on their own metal. Unless you got their name, I doubt any boss would look much into it.
His girlfriend, who he was trying to sit next to, was a UA flight attendant. I assumed he was either on a buddy pass with her, or was on a WN share pass. UA would know who the non-revs are and what type of pass they were on.

I did hear back from UA on the matter and advised that the GF had been counseled as to proper non-rev behavior. I did not hear from WN. I assume this means she was responsible for him and therefore he was non-reving on her buddy pass.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjque
I disagree that the legitimate seat holder "appear[s] like a jerk in public" when he declines to trade, but even so, isn't that true whether the "poacher" makes the request from a seated or standing position?
It is much much less inconvenient to be asked once I have taken my seat than to have someone who has already claimed it ask. Sit in the seat, you take it hostage. A poach. Ask for the seat after I have taken it, it's a request.

Besides, I don't want to feel their assheat in my seat once I sit in it.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarolynUK

It was funny watching the behaviour of Mrs 1D though. She dumped her huge bag in the centre seat immediately the seatbelt light went off trying to stop me getting any benefit from it (didn't need it as I already had everything I needed for the flight), tried to obstruct the F&B service ( but the nice FA simply leaned round the bulkhead to hand me my drink and then my food tray), and refused to move to let me out for the loo - again the set up meant that I didn't actually need her to move, so all her attempts to make me uncomfortable and punish me for not giving in were absolutely wasted. Her infantile behaviour was not lost on other passengers in the cabin either, quite a few of whom laughed with me as we were waiting for our luggage. The cabin crew were also highly amused by her antics, as the chap who had thrown the middle seat squatter out rolled his eyes in her direction as I went back to my seat.
This is where I get really acerbic and start conversing with Mr. or Ms.Disgruntled. I start by telling them how GREAT MY SEAT IS. Perfectly located, I LOVE this seat. I'm so glad I was able to book this seat because I checked in early. I'm relentlessly upbeat and happy to be flying in response to their grumpy.
I continue along this line until I've completely and utterly swamped THEIR passive aggressive nonsense with some of my own. Usually takes about five minutes. After that, it's just another flight sitting next to a stranger.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:49 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Ice Machine
I also don't understand why someone would need to stand by the seat they want as opposed to going to their assigned seat first. Presumably they want the trade to sit with their companion. They can take their assigned seat and their companion can ask about the swap before the passenger sits down.
The "companion" may be a child, and usually it's better if an adult makes the request.

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
It is much much less inconvenient to be asked once I have taken my seat than to have someone who has already claimed it ask.
You're saying it's less inconvenient to sit down in your seat and then get up and move to another seat, than to just go and sit directly in your new seat?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by cbn42
The "companion" may be a child, and usually it's better if an adult makes the request.

You're saying it's less inconvenient to sit down in your seat and then get up and move to another seat, than to just go and sit directly in your new seat?
What new seat? It's the poacher who'll be moving.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's less convenient to sit down in my seat and stay in my seat. Why would you think the outcome would be otherwise?

Your requirement to sit by your child is your problem, not mine, and I'm under no obligation to accommodate you. If you have a compelling reason (one that I consider compelling) AND ask nicely, then I'll probably accommodate you but absent a true emergency I almost certainly will not. If you have a problem, take it up with the airline (which caused it), not with me.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:30 pm
Suspended

At least it's at my choice. I cannot sit my seat if someone is there already, and then I have to engage in an awkward interaction. If I am already there, I am probably going to say no anyhow as I almost always refuse swaps because they are not offering a better seat..if they ARE offering one, then getting up is worth the trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.