Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by Tizzette
I lost my empty empty middle to somebody moving out of his family's row of three to give the other two more room. When the FA asked if he was in his assigned seat, he wouldn't move back and she didn't force him. He said he was more comfortable in my row. Most FAs just want to avoid confrontation.
If I saw someone attempting to move into the empty middle seat, I would immediately move into the seat. If they can sit there so can I.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:52 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by rbwpi
If I saw someone attempting to move into the empty middle seat, I would immediately move into the seat. If they can sit there so can I.
Then this person would happily seat at your original windows ou aisle seat...
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Originally Posted by rbwpi
Is this where the man-spread comes into play?? Don't give up your original seat but spread out to the other one...
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Tough call. It's annoying but it was never really 'your' middle seat.
Not "my" middle seat but even less belonging to a seat shifter who has an assigned seat elsewhere.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not "my" middle seat but even less belonging to a seat shifter who has an assigned seat elsewhere.
I obviously agree, but how do you enforce this? Are you really going to get confrontational or bring it up with cabin crew?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
How do you establish ownership over a seat that hasn't been assigned to you or a traveling partner? As London Elite mentioned above, this would seem an awkward thing to actually enforce...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 16, 2016 at 6:00 pm
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
How do you establish ownership over a seat that hasn't been assigned to you or a traveling partner? As London Elite mentioned above, this would seem an awkward thing to actually enforce...
You'd have to come equipped ... with enough material to make the seat look occupied ... or non-op .... or filthy ...
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by weero
You'd have to come equipped ... with enough material to make the seat look occupied ... or non-op .... or filthy ...
Wait - did someone just find an actual use for the plastic vomit that they sell at Spencer's Gifts?

That's genius!!!!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Wait - did someone just find an actual use for the plastic vomit that they sell at Spencer's Gifts?

That's genius!!!!
When I was younger and less observant of rules, I used a sticker on my weekly train commute that made the seat look torn and expose some metal. It did work fairly well, I have to admit.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
It seems like you could say something like "The gate agent told me they were blocking this seat for us. Do you have a boarding pass showing this seat assignment?"
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Rebelyell
It seems like you could say something like "The gate agent told me they were blocking this seat for us. Do you have a boarding pass showing this seat assignment?"
Well, you *could* say something like "Do you know at what distance Tuberculosis is contagious? I was hoping to keep this seat empty until we could get an authoritative answer."
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:29 pm

I obviously agree, but how do you enforce this? Are you really going to get confrontational or bring it up with cabin crew?
I did ask the FA to help. She asked the guy to move but he refused, saying he was more comfortable in my row. He was not going gently and she didn't push it any further.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I did ask the FA to help. She asked the guy to move but he refused, saying he was more comfortable in my row. He was not going gently and she didn't push it any further.
Sounds like he was stalking you, and you were very uncomfortable with him trying to get near you.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
the few times that someone has attempted to sit in an empty middle (I'm always aisle), I politely ask what they're doing as they try to squeeze past me and inform them that is my seat as I bought 2 seats for my comfort and mild claustrophobia. The person has always apologized and returned to their original seat. As in life, having a believable poker face (or being a sociopathic liar) is a useful skill to have.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
... As in life, having a believable poker face (or being a sociopathic liar) is a useful skill to have.
a relatable FT screen name adds to your credibility as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.