Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kipper
On my flight from LHR to JFK last night, I experienced an odd seat swap situation. First, an ultra-Orthodox Jewish man, who was traveling with his son, asked the man behind me if he would switch seats with me. The son was supposed to sit next to me, and he did not want the son sitting next to a female. The man behind me and I switched seats, because I really just wanted to get home and didn't want to hold up the flight (which was full). The father was sitting across the aisle and a row back. The father was sitting in the middle seat, and a couple (husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend) had the aisle and window. The father somehow convinced the wife to take the window and the husband to take the middle seat so he didn't sit next to a woman either. As they are still trying to stow their luggage, they realized that as the son is in the row of 4 (it was a 3-4-3 configuration), there was a woman sitting next to the son on the other side too. The father tried to argue with a flight attendant about having the woman move, but the FA told him in no uncertain terms that he could've reduced the issue by paying for seats next to each other so they would only need to worry about one person sitting next to them. The FA said the father could ask a passenger to switch, but the FA wasn't going to do anything to help.

The poor man who switched seats with me and who had an aisle seat, eventually agreed to move to the son's seat, so the son ended up with an aisle seat as well. The son was seated in front of me and spent most of the flight with his seat fully reclined. As I told Mr. Kipper, that is the last time I switch seats with anyone.
Can you draw me a diagram, preferably with arrows? I probably would have said no...these things always end in tears.
rickg523 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Can you draw me a diagram, preferably with arrows? I probably would have said no...these things always end in tears.
I feel like I needed a diagram. Add to it that someone else vomited on another passenger, Mr. Kipper's seat wouldn't recline, and it was just a very challenging flight. I will not agree going forward.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I feel like I needed a diagram. Add to it that someone else vomited on another passenger, Mr. Kipper's seat wouldn't recline, and it was just a very challenging flight. I will not agree going forward.
[deleted]. Father and son both ended up in aisle seats when initially father had a middle and if I follow the logic correctly, so did the son. [deleted]

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jan 24, 2020 at 8:54 am Reason: Too Omni-ish
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
[deleted] Father and son both ended up in aisle seats when initially father had a middle and if I follow the logic correctly, so did the son. [deleted]
Yeah, I hear these "won't sit next to" stories and
I'm wondering what would happen if one of the men who were next to a swap out had said they'd prefer sitting next to a woman than an Orthodox Jew.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jan 24, 2020 at 8:53 am
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
On my flight from LHR to JFK last night, I experienced an odd seat swap situation. First, an ultra-Orthodox Jewish man, who was traveling with his son, asked the man behind me if he would switch seats with me. The son was supposed to sit next to me, and he did not want the son sitting next to a female. The man behind me and I switched seats, because I really just wanted to get home and didn't want to hold up the flight (which was full). The father was sitting across the aisle and a row back. The father was sitting in the middle seat, and a couple (husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend) had the aisle and window. The father somehow convinced the wife to take the window and the husband to take the middle seat so he didn't sit next to a woman either. As they are still trying to stow their luggage, they realized that as the son is in the row of 4 (it was a 3-4-3 configuration), there was a woman sitting next to the son on the other side too. The father tried to argue with a flight attendant about having the woman move, but the FA told him in no uncertain terms that he could've reduced the issue by paying for seats next to each other so they would only need to worry about one person sitting next to them. The FA said the father could ask a passenger to switch, but the FA wasn't going to do anything to help.

The poor man who switched seats with me and who had an aisle seat, eventually agreed to move to the son's seat, so the son ended up with an aisle seat as well. The son was seated in front of me and spent most of the flight with his seat fully reclined. As I told Mr. Kipper, that is the last time I switch seats with anyone.
Sorry if your religion forbids you as a male (in this case his son) to sit next to a woman then you should purchase seats. Good for FA standing her ground. In this case they should have purchased an extra seat as the airline can't reserve a seat for a "male only." Flights are packed today. This person's religion requirement isn't practical.
MSPeconomist and altabello like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:32 pm

You're too nice, I wouldn't have agreed to begin with. In this the post UA seat affair era, I'd refuse to move for any reason, won't even bother listening to the explanation, unless ordered by a FA in his/her official capacity. Even then, I'd want the reason, but would comply.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
... First, an ultra-Orthodox Jewish man, who was traveling with his son, asked the man behind me if he would switch seats with me. The son was supposed to sit next to me, and he did not want the son sitting next to a female...
That's a fairly common occurrence on Tel Aviv flights.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:00 pm

What if one of the men they sit next to is Muslim or Hindu? Is that a problem?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
[deleted] Father and son both ended up in aisle seats when initially father had a middle and if I follow the logic correctly, so did the son. [deleted]
Yes, both ended up in aisle seats while both originally had middle seats.
Originally Posted by rickg523
I'm wondering what would happen if one of the men who were next to a swap out had said they'd prefer sitting next to a woman than an Orthodox Jew.
That's an interesting question.
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Sorry if your religion forbids you as a male (in this case his son) to sit next to a woman then you should purchase seats. Good for FA standing her ground. In this case they should have purchased an extra seat as the airline can't reserve a seat for a "male only." Flights are packed today. This person's religion requirement isn't practical.
I agree. Likewise, some of the rows in the very back had sections of 2 seats/row, so they easily could've reserved those if they were willing to pay.
Originally Posted by Visconti
You're too nice, I wouldn't have agreed to begin with. In this the post UA seat affair era, I'd refuse to move for any reason, won't even bother listening to the explanation, unless ordered by a FA in his/her official capacity. Even then, I'd want the reason, but would comply.
I won't agree in the future. It's not worth the hassle.
Originally Posted by TWA884
That's a fairly common occurrence on Tel Aviv flights.
This was headed back to JFK from LHR, but I would guess flights to/from Tel Aviv might have a lot of these issues.
Originally Posted by zitsky
What if one of the men they sit next to is Muslim or Hindu? Is that a problem?
I don't think it is, but I'm not up on that.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jan 24, 2020 at 8:55 am Reason: aligned redacted quote
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:25 am
HMO

Yes, both ended up in aisle seats while both originally had middle seats.
Unbelievable two different people had agreed for worst seats in an int'l flight. We are not talking about 1~2 hours here...
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by HMO
Unbelievable two different people had agreed for worst seats in an int'l flight. We are not talking about 1~2 hours here...
I know. I was hoping the guy who switched with me would insist on staying in an aisle seat.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by rickg523
Do they need to buy an extra spare seat like larger passengers?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:44 am

Location: SYD, YYZ, Southwest UK, a beach somewhere in the world
Programs: AC Prestige, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
I had this happen several years ago on a qantas flight from NYC - SYD. Was bringing the family back to Australia after a summer in Toronto, and had booked myself on a points ticket in J, family in J on our expat package, when they got sick, so we had to delay by a week. Unbelievably, an F points ticket was available, so I booked that and moved the family tickets to a new departure date. The Mrs is all worries that no one will swap seats with me (2 kids under 3, so she doesn’t want to be alone). I laughed and made her bet how long it would take me to convince nearby seat owner to swap. Get on the flight, wait for seat owner, and say, “excuse me sir, I’m in First, but would like to sit next...” boom, guy swaps tickets and is gone. Fair trade, he got a better seat, I got a happy Mrs.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Do they need to buy an extra spare seat like larger passengers?
In this case, had they been willing to pay to reserve seats, there were a few rows in the back that had 2 seats/section, so they could've reserved those and not had a problem.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:58 am

In this case, had they been willing to pay to reserve seats, there were a few rows in the back that had 2 seats/section, so they could've reserved those and not had a problem.
Well at least *they* were comfortable. Who cares about anyone else?
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.