Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zitsky
He doesn't want to go to the bathroom and have the sleazy guy take his seat next to the woman.
Seems like far too much involvement in other people's business at this stage.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Seems like far too much involvement in other people's business at this stage.
Not at all.

The poster in question was sitting next to a woman who didn't want some guy who had bought her a coffee prior to the flight to swap seats with the poster. Coffee Guy had requested the seat swap without consulting the woman. These two facts together lead to the inevitable conclusion that Coffee Guy is making unwanted advances toward the woman.

With the poster being physically in the way, this puts the poster directly in the middle of the 'business', and it becomes prudent for the poster to take a few reasonable precautions against further unwanted involvement, such as fully apprising the cabin crew of the situation so they can be aware of potential problems before they arise.

If no further problems arise, nobody has been hurt, but if Coffee Guy does decide to take unwanted action toward the woman (such as poaching the poster's seat when he goes to the lav, or trying to talk to the woman over the poster), then the cabin crew can take corrective action more quickly.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Not at all.

The poster in question was sitting next to a woman who didn't want some guy who had bought her a coffee prior to the flight to swap seats with the poster. Coffee Guy had requested the seat swap without consulting the woman. These two facts together lead to the inevitable conclusion that Coffee Guy is making unwanted advances toward the woman.

With the poster being physically in the way, this puts the poster directly in the middle of the 'business', and it becomes prudent for the poster to take a few reasonable precautions against further unwanted involvement, such as fully apprising the cabin crew of the situation so they can be aware of potential problems before they arise.

If no further problems arise, nobody has been hurt, but if Coffee Guy does decide to take unwanted action toward the woman (such as poaching the poster's seat when he goes to the lav, or trying to talk to the woman over the poster), then the cabin crew can take corrective action more quickly.
The woman asked him not to switch seats and explained why. After he agreed not to swap it was no longer his problem. If he goes to the lav and comes back to find someone else in his seat he can either send the fellow packing or inform the cabin crew. If the woman beside him is being pestered by another passenger it is on her to punch the call button and make a complaint.
LondonElite, MSPeconomist and mmff like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Not at all.

This is all far too much thinking and hypothesising and, frankly, making other people's business your own. She preferred the switch not to happen, OP didn't switch out of (1) general indifference, and (2) as a requested curtesy to his seat neighbour. That is really the end of the story.
LAX-1K, wrp96, mmff and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The woman asked him not to switch seats and explained why. After he agreed not to swap it was no longer his problem. If he goes to the lav and comes back to find someone else in his seat he can either send the fellow packing or inform the cabin crew. If the woman beside him is being pestered by another passenger it is on her to punch the call button and make a complaint.
Or alternately to whisper in the ear of the seat poacher, "I have a very particular set of skills....."
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by typical
Cabin crew.
Cabin crew indeed.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
This is one of my favorite threads. Keep those horror stories rolling!
BadgerBoi and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:04 pm

I was flying up the west coast not long ago and some guy was like hey you want to switch seats.

I was like, nah I'm good.

He was like .... cool.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:39 pm

Here's a seat-swap demand horror story on steroids. https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9020106.html

TL;DR: Passenger sits in a seat and refuses to move even if they bring the police. And, he was true to his word and refused to move even when the police arrived and had to be dragged off the plane.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:32 pm

He was in a wheelchair at the end.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
So much extreme behavior has become normalized nowadays; the answer is to diffuse it before it snowballs. We were recently in NYC and enjoyed Frozen on Broadway one afternoon; you could spot in advance a mile away the few adults addicted to their smartphone, and the ushers were completely on top of of it the second someone lit up. Maybe it was just easier because no play has an alternate location. If you don’t like one airline, you have the option to choose another.
SEA777GUY and ajGoes like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vanillabean
So much extreme behavior has become normalized nowadays; the answer is to diffuse it before it snowballs. We were recently in NYC and enjoyed Frozen on Broadway one afternoon; you could spot in advance a mile away the few adults addicted to their smartphone, and the ushers were completely on top of of it the second someone lit up. Maybe it was just easier because no play has an alternate location. If you don’t like one airline, you have the option to choose another.
Can you explain please?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
Here's a seat-swap demand horror story on steroids. https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9020106.html

TL;DR: Passenger sits in a seat and refuses to move even if they bring the police. And, he was true to his word and refused to move even when the police arrived and had to be dragged off the plane.

Maybe his upgrade didn’t clear.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:22 am
HMO

Originally Posted by zitsky
He was in a wheelchair at the end.
Cuffed to a wheelchair, no?
farci likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:27 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
On my flight from LHR to JFK last night, I experienced an odd seat swap situation. First, an ultra-Orthodox Jewish man, who was traveling with his son, asked the man behind me if he would switch seats with me. The son was supposed to sit next to me, and he did not want the son sitting next to a female. The man behind me and I switched seats, because I really just wanted to get home and didn't want to hold up the flight (which was full). The father was sitting across the aisle and a row back. The father was sitting in the middle seat, and a couple (husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend) had the aisle and window. The father somehow convinced the wife to take the window and the husband to take the middle seat so he didn't sit next to a woman either. As they are still trying to stow their luggage, they realized that as the son is in the row of 4 (it was a 3-4-3 configuration), there was a woman sitting next to the son on the other side too. The father tried to argue with a flight attendant about having the woman move, but the FA told him in no uncertain terms that he could've reduced the issue by paying for seats next to each other so they would only need to worry about one person sitting next to them. The FA said the father could ask a passenger to switch, but the FA wasn't going to do anything to help.

The poor man who switched seats with me and who had an aisle seat, eventually agreed to move to the son's seat, so the son ended up with an aisle seat as well. The son was seated in front of me and spent most of the flight with his seat fully reclined. As I told Mr. Kipper, that is the last time I switch seats with anyone.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.