Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
2. It's 1963 and you are in Aruba. You need to travel to New York City on business and will be flying on an airline that offers connecting service. Your first flight operates five days a week nonstop to your connecting city with the equipment configured with an all-coach single class cabin. The second flight operates nonstop to NYC on a daily basis with a first and coach two class cabin. Both flights operate with different aircraft types. Name the air carrier, the connecting city and both aircraft types. It wasn't VIASA , KLM or Dominicana de Aviacion and the connection was not made in Caracas, Curacao or Santo Domingo. The first flight was operated with a DC-6B and the second flight was operated with a DC-8 arriving into Idlewild.
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I must admit that it's nice to have the benefit of all these wrong answers ahead of me, knocking off answers that I might well have provided as well. ...
yeah, you're welcome
TC never even crossed my mind ... I was gonna say Panagra, but I couldn't come up with a workable routing
Old May 20, 2020, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
27. Ah, it wasn't JFK.....but you are very much on the right track here!
Well, if it wasn't DFW, ORD, and JFK. One has to assume AA did operate YVR-MIA (cruiseco special?) in the summer so YVR-MIA-LIM?
Old May 20, 2020, 5:04 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
31. (Bonus Item)

I am fairly sure SU operated SEA-SVO.in 1990`s. If memory serves with B767's.
Old May 20, 2020, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
2. It's 1963 and you are in Aruba. You need to travel to New York City on business and will be flying on an airline that offers connecting service. Your first flight operates five days a week nonstop to your connecting city with the equipment configured with an all-coach single class cabin. The second flight operates nonstop to NYC on a daily basis with a first and coach two class cabin. Both flights operate with different aircraft types. Name the air carrier, the connecting city and both aircraft types. It wasn't VIASA , KLM or Dominicana de Aviacion and the connection was not made in Caracas, Curacao or Santo Domingo. The first flight was operated with a DC-6B and the second flight was operated with a DC-8 arriving into Idlewild.

I must admit that it's nice to have the benefit of all these wrong answers ahead of me, knocking off answers that I might well have provided as well. Given all that's gone down, especially given the knowledge that this is a DC-8 operator, let's go with Trans Caribbean Airways routing the DC-6 to San Juan and then the DC-8 up to Idylwild. My only concern with this answer is that there was a period that TCA operated its DC-8s in an all-Y configuration. Hopefully that wasn't in 1963...

14. If you wanted to arrive into Miami on board a Lockheed L-188 Electra nonstop from an international location at this time, what airline would you call and where would you depart from?

I had a question similar to this with an airline operating nonstop LEC flights to St. Maarten and St. Kitts, but I think that was later, as in late 80s or early 90s. Let's try an airline from South America. A couple of longtime Electra operators were Aerocondor and Ecuatoriana. I remember procuring my first Movifoto postcard of the beautiful Aerocondor Electra, so let's try them flying in from Barranquilla.
2. Trans Caribbean Airways is correct! However, I was mistaken concerning the service classes offered on the flight from San Juan to New York. It appears to have featured two class service, but it wasn't first and coach. Here are the scheds.....

TR 102: Aruba (AUA) 10:30a - 1:00p San Juan (SJU)
Freq: Daily except Mondays and Wednesdays
Service class: T (Tourist class)
Meal service: Snack
Equip: DC-6B

Connecting to......

TR 2: San Juan (SJU) 2:30p - 4:40p New York Idlewild (IDL)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: DT/T (Deluxe Tourist class / Tourist class)
Meal service: Buffet in Deluxe Tourist & Snack in Tourist
Equip: DC-8 FAN JET

14. A great guess! However, it wasn't Aerocondor from Barranquilla.....nor was it Ecuatoriana. So you might to look a bit further to the north and west......
Old May 20, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA

I must admit that it's nice to have the benefit of all these wrong answers ahead of me, knocking off answers that I might well have provided as well. Given all that's gone down, especially given the knowledge that this is a DC-8 operator, let's go with Trans Caribbean Airways routing the DC-6 to San Juan and then the DC-8 up to Idlewild. My only concern with this answer is that there was a period that TCA operated its DC-8s in an all-Y configuration. Hopefully that wasn't in 1963.
Have to say I had my eye on this one for TCA as well. You may be surprised that they were even known to me, but apart from the fact that they were one of the carriers that took a page for their timetables in the paid Airline Feature Section at the front of the 1960s ABC World Airways Guide (rest of the world's OAG equivalent), they seem to have had one or two DC-8s spare, they had the overwater safety kit installed for JFK-San Juan flights, which most US domestic carriers did not, and they actually did quite a lot of US military charters across to Europe, mainly but not entirely to Frankfurt, and slotted these in with this back loads of commercial charters out of London Gatwick. Hence the all-Y configuration. So they were a regular sight here in London, mainly just heading back to JFK, possibly only in summer, which is low season for the Caribbean.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Tran...C-8-61/1274052

However did they get the odd flight from San Juan to Aruba ? Pan Am also did San Juan-Curacao-Aruba at the time, with a 727.

Last edited by WHBM; May 20, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Old May 20, 2020, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by TPJ
31. (Bonus Item)

31. Yep, it was Aeroflot operating nonstop all the way to Moscow.....but not with a B767-200 or -300.
Old May 20, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
14. A great guess! However, it wasn't Aerocondor from Barranquilla.....nor was it Ecuatoriana. So you might to look a bit further to the north and west......
Hmm... north and west of where? Colombia? There was that obscure outfit I alluded to earlier - I believe the name was Sunjet International operating an L-188 Electra out of St. Maarten and/or St. Kitts. Let's try them...
Old May 20, 2020, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
30. Well, you are getting closer here as Virgin Atlantic was indeed operating the transatlantic flight.

However, it wasn't Continental from Kansas City, the aircraft from MCI wasn't a B737-300, the connection was not made at Newark and VS wasn't operating an A340 on the transatlantic leg.
I don't remember AA or UA codesharing with VS and NW seems unlikely given their deep relationship with KL. DL and VS codeshared but ATL-LHR would not have been permitted under the old US/UK treaty. I don't think DL flew MCI-BOS so I am going to go in a completely different direction here:
AC MCI-YYZ CRJ
VS YYZ-LHR 747

Last edited by Herb687; May 20, 2020 at 5:38 pm Reason: eliminate repetitive redundancy
Old May 20, 2020, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Well, if it wasn't DFW, ORD, and JFK. One has to assume AA did operate YVR-MIA (cruiseco special?) in the summer so YVR-MIA-LIM?
27. Well, there weren't too many American hub airports left with regard to Latin America were there? Here are the scheds....

AA 184: Vancouver (YVR) 1:00p - 9:45p Miami (MIA)
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: 757

Connecting to.....

AA 2111: Miami (MIA) 11:50p - 4:22a+1 Lima (LIM)
Service classes: C/Y (I believe the standard domestic first cabin was sold as business class as I do not think AA had reconfigured their 757s with lie-flat biz class seats yet)

And I also believe American was the only airline ever to operate scheduled nonstop service between YVR and MIA.
Old May 20, 2020, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm... north and west of where? Colombia? There was that obscure outfit I alluded to earlier - I believe the name was Sunjet International operating an L-188 Electra out of St. Maarten and/or St. Kitts. Let's try them...
14. Nope! And yes, I meant north and west of Colombia and Ecuador.....which would rule out the Caribbean.
Old May 20, 2020, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
I don't remember AA or UA codesharing with VS and NW seems unlikely given their deep relationship with KL. DL and VS codeshared but ATL-LHR would not have been permitted under the old US/UK treaty. I don't think DL flew MCI-BOS so I am going to go in a completely different direction here:
AC MCI-YYZ CRJ
VS YYZ-LHR 747
30. Ah, it wasn't Air Canada, the connection was not made at Toronto and the aircraft from Kansas City was larger than a Canadair CRJ-200.

However, Virgin Atlantic was operating a 747 on the transatlantic flight into London Heathrow.
Old May 20, 2020, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
31. Yep, it was Aeroflot operating nonstop all the way to Moscow.....but not with a B767-200 or -300.
Originally Posted by TPJ
31. (Bonus Item)

I was going to offer SU but I wasn't sure it had the equipment used later, 777-200(ER)

27. Well, there weren't too many American hub airports left with regard to Latin America were there? Here are the scheds....
Connecting to.....

AA 2111: Miami (MIA) 11:50p - 4:22a+1 Lima (LIM)
Service classes: C/Y (I believe the standard domestic first cabin was sold as business class as I do not think AA had reconfigured their 757s with lie-flat biz class seats yet)
It was sold as/with domestic F seats for a long time past the mid '90s. AA eventually dropped 763 F/J/Y service MIA-GRU-ASU and went with n/s C/Y 752 MIA-ASU (as well as MIA-La Paz/Santa Cruz). My former work colleague were still doing that route and weren't too pleased.

I once flew to ASU via GRU (missed the connection at GRU) and a bag ended up in LIM, no doubt by 752. Took about a week for it to fly back up to MIA before getting to ASU.
Old May 20, 2020, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
30. Ah, it wasn't Air Canada, the connection was not made at Toronto and the aircraft from Kansas City was larger than a Canadair CRJ-200.

However, Virgin Atlantic was operating a 747 on the transatlantic flight into London Heathrow.
Then I will revert back and guess something I thought I had ruled out.
DL MCI-BOS 72S
VS BOS-LHR 747
Old May 20, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA
31. (Bonus Item)

I was going to offer SU but I wasn't sure it had the equipment used later, 777-200(ER)
Somehow I seem to recall Seattle to Moscow with Aeroflot in the late 1990s was on an Ilyushin 96.
Old May 20, 2020, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
31. - BONUS: Nope, it wasn't a B777-200.....however, it was a wide body aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.