Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
37- NAS-XXX-IND, not a US 737 over BWI; not a PI 733 over CLT ... wild guess time: Pan Am, 72S, JFK

57- YVR-SEA-SFO-PSP, not AS, not a 727-100 ... this would seem to default to United with a 737-222
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
37. (1988) Sheesh! You sure do travel out of Nassau a lot! This time you’ll need to find a flight between Nassau and Indianapolis. You envision a painful layover in Miami’s damp and outdated airport (that carpet smells really bad over on the F Concourse) but lookee here! There’s a single one-stop direct flight each day that even offers not one but two snacks enroute! Book it, Danno! And don’t forget to request the lacto-ovo vegetarian option, please. Airline, aircraft and enroute stop, please.
NAS-XXX-IND, not a US 737 over BWI; not a PI 733 over CLT ... wild guess time: Pan Am, 72S, JFK

Oooo-wee! Gettin' pretty wild there, J! Nope, it wasn't Pan Am either. Nor was the aircraft a 727-200 via JFK. You'd better watch out or WHBM is gonna sweep in here and clear this one off ;eek:!

57. (1988) Boy, you sure do miss Western Airlines and its convenient direct flight from Vancouver, BC down to your winter home down in Palm Springs, California. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that the YVR-PSP market is currently served via a single two-stop direct flight departing Vancouver every afternoon except Saturday. Why, there’s even a snack served enroute! Please identify the usual triumvirate of qualifiers.

YVR-SEA-SFO-PSP, not AS, not a 727-100 ... this would seem to default to United with a 737-222

Correct-a-mundo, Senor! Here's the schedule...

United UA 1433 Vancouver (YVR) 205p-250p Seattle (SEA) 330p-526p S San Francisco (SFO) 605p-727p S Palm Springs (PSP) 737-200 X6
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Given this was pre-open skies, how would AS have gone about obtaining route authority in the day? Not sure how many U.S. airlines were allowed on a given route but UA had SEA-YVR in the day and WA had PDX-YVR s far as jet flight went. I think I flew QX between either or both PDX and SEA and YVR in the early '90s but can't remember if this was open skies or not.
Well, to begin with, I was way off with my time line concerning AS initiating mainline jet flights into YVR. I now think it wasn't until sometime during the late 1990's before this occurred. I do know that by the summer of 1999 Alaska Airlines was operating nonstop service YVR-LAX, YVR-SFO, YVR-LAS and YVR-SEA with B737-400 equipment. QX on the other hand was operating turboprop service on a code sharing basis on behalf of AS between SEA and YVR as early as 1989. So obviously there was a mechanism in place for QX to request and then be allowed to operate these transborder flights. However, I do not know the specifics concerning this process. And another transborder route authority example which comes to mind is Air Cal which began nonstop SJC-YVR flights in 1985.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 10, 2019 at 10:14 am
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
31. (1983) Yes!!! Your signature Blackened Tri-Tips BBQ Sandwich has earned you an invitation to compete in the American Royal World Series of Barbecue being held this year in Kansas City, MO. Better yet, your travel agent has informed you that there’s an airline that offers a direct two-stop flight from Los Angeles into Kansas City’s Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport, much more convenient than Kansas City International (MCI) which is located 20 miles out of town. Name the airline, enroute stops and aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.

America West, Phoenix and Colorado Springs, Boeing 737-100

Was this a guess? If so, pretty good one there, T. Here's the schedule...

America West HP 12 Los Angeles (LAX) 750a-855a Phoenix (PHX) 920a-1142a Colorado Springs (COS) 1200n-228p Kansas City (MKC) 737-200 Daily

I am amazed! I was expecting that the answer would be correct for MCI (Kansas City International), not MKC.

What other airlines served MKC in 1983 besides Air Midwest?

I also see that in recent weeks, MCI's Terminal A is being demolished. It is one of 3 cloverleaf shaped terminals. Very convenient for checking in and boarding, but not connecting flights. A linear terminal is going to be built. I think Terminal B will also be demolished but not C. However, C won't have any airline service eventually.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Aug 10, 2019 at 8:45 pm
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
What other airlines served MKC in 1983 besides Air Midwest?
I cannot find evidence of any other airlines operating mainline jet equipment into MKC, be it in 1983 or any other time. As to smaller regional airlines over the years, well, to quote Sgt. Shultz "I know notink!"
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:46 pm
Suspended

They all must have left in the early 1970's when KCI (MCI) was opened. If I had to take a nationwide tour of a dozen airports, MCI would probably be one of them.

Let me play that game....what 12 US airports would you visit if you were only going to see the airport, not the city.

1. IAD Washington Dulles (Eero Saarinen main terminal)
2. JFK (many terminals of different design, too bad Pan Am and I. M. Pei's National Airlines terminal are no longer there)
3. MCI (cloverleaf design)
4. ATL (giant airport and organization)
5. IAH Houston Bush Intercontinental (traces of the old airport in Terminal B)
6. SFO (pleasant design that has expanded through the years)
7. DTW (inside train)
8. ABQ (overall smallish airport with a Southwestern design)
9. LGA (old airport that looks 1960's, also Marine Air Terminal, not Terminal A)
10. KOA (outdoor airport) (Long Beach would be a substitute)
11. LAX (big and crowded)
12. OMA (smallish airport serving a medium sized city)

Last edited by Toshbaf; Aug 10, 2019 at 8:56 pm
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:01 pm
Suspended

52. (1988) Normally you prefer to fly out of Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport, but since business this afternoon has you only two miles from Houston’s Intercontinental Airport, it makes sense to catch a flight from there to Albuquerque. As luck would have it, there’s a daily one-stop departure that afternoon that will put you into Albuquerque just in time for dinner at your favorite Mexican restaurant. Identify the airline, the one intermediate stop and the aircraft type, please

Southwest Airlines, DAL, Boeing 737-200

For a number of years, Southwest Airlines did fly out of IAH, probably from Terminal A and, near the United and US Air ticket counters and opposite Eastern. It left roughly 15 years ago.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

52. (1988) Normally you prefer to fly out of Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport, but since business this afternoon has you only two miles from Houston’s Intercontinental Airport, it makes sense to catch a flight from there to Albuquerque. As luck would have it, there’s a daily one-stop departure that afternoon that will put you into Albuquerque just in time for dinner at your favorite Mexican restaurant. Identify the airline, the one intermediate stop and the aircraft type, please

Southwest Airlines, DAL, Boeing 737-200. For a number of years, Southwest Airlines did fly out of IAH, probably from Terminal A and, near the United and US Air ticket counters and opposite Eastern. It left roughly 15 years ago.

Good call, Toshbaf! Southwest is correct, however by 1988 the 737-300 had joined WN's fleet and was - for this flight at least - the aircraft of record. Here's the schedule...

Southwest WN 84 Houston (IAH) 445p-535p Dallas (DAL) 550p-630p Albuquerque (ABQ) 737-300 Daily
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

48. (1987) Only one airline operates between North America and London utilizing three different types of wide bodied aircraft on the same route – each built by a different manufacturer. Identify the airline and the city it serves London from with its three different types of widebodies. And what the heck - you might as well identify the aircraft types as well.
Wardair has been correctly identified with 747, DC-10 and A300 flights out of YYZ. This question remains open to other possibilities if you wish. I'm happy to check them out.

I apologize got the delay in getting back to this question. In reference to WHBM's possibility of B-Cal operating three different widebodies on the NYC-LGW market, my OAG - which dates from November 1987 - does not reflect any service on this market from B-Cal. In fact, a check of the airline flight itinerary listings does not show B-Cal operating any service to North America. BA took over B-Cal in December of 1987. I was surprised to see however that per my OAG at least B-Cal had ceased operations to North America. Could the OAG possibly be in error?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Let me play that game....what 12 US airports would you visit if you were only going to see the airport, not the city.
I suppose if I were going to take a tour of any 12 airports, they would have to be my 12 favorite airports. In no particular order of preference, here are 12 airports I've really enjoyed flying through over the years...

1. Denver International Airport
2. Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
3. Portland International Airport
4. Las Vegas McCarran International Airport
5. Miami International Airport
6. Orlando International Airport
7. Vancouver International Airport
8. Singapore Changi Airport
9. Kuala Lumpur International Airport
10. Denpasar Ngurah Rai International Airport
11. Capetown International Airport
12. Copenhagen Kastrup International Airport
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:30 pm
Suspended

I suppose if I were going to take a tour of any 12 airports, they would have to be my 12 favorite airports. In no particular order of preference, here are 12 airports I've really enjoyed flying through over the years...

7. Vancouver International Airport
8. Singapore Changi Airport
9. Kuala Lumpur International Airport
10. Denpasar Ngurah Rai International Airport
11. Capetown International Airport
12. Copenhagen Kastrup International Airport
If I were going to take a world tour of airports and not the cities, for 12 airports outside the US, I'd pick

1. Paris Roissy, Charles de Gaulle (very interesting looking airport, especially CDG 1)
2. Munich (big airport and two designs, one from the 1990's and one a decade later)
3. Changi, Singapore (very popular big airport)
4. Easter Island (very basic airport)
5. London City (looks like an aircraft carrier from the air, pleasant busy little airport)
6. Vancouver (pleasant, somewhat large airport, quiet domestic and chaotic international check in areas, wide international concourse)
7. Kansai, Osaka (one of the first big airports on a man made island)
8. Queen Alia, Amman Jordan (interesting looking terminal)
9. Marrakech Menara, Morocco (critically acclaimed roof with lots of openings for light)
10. Nice France (big round glass concourse)
11. Berlin Tegel (triangles)
12. Melilla (small airport in Spanish North Africa, pleasant exterior but nothing too special)

Disclaimer: I haven't been to quite of few on this list

Kastrup/Copenhagen, I don't remember much except for a long walk to the gate. I do remember a rbus driver giving me a receipt for the fare paid but since I was boarding in the city on a regular city bus (not a special airport bus), I had to pay a higher fare and get two tickets. He mistakenly gave me one ticket then, without me asking tore off another instead of giving me a strip of two tickets, and said "sorry!". He said it in English. It was probably obvious that I wasn't Danish.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Where's your sense of adventure?! C'mon now! Knock these 3 off!

37. (1988) Sheesh! You sure do travel out of Nassau a lot! This time you’ll need to find a flight between Nassau and Indianapolis. You envision a painful layover in Miami’s damp and outdated airport (that carpet smells really bad over on the F Concourse) but lookee here! There’s a single one-stop direct flight each day that even offers not one but two snacks enroute! Book it, Danno! And don’t forget to request the lacto-ovo vegetarian option, please. Airline, aircraft and enroute stop, please.
A N S W E R E D

42. (1983) Following a meeting with your client at the airport lounge in Philadelphia, you’ll continue on down to Raleigh, NC. Three airlines offer nonstop flights on this route but you’ll be traveling on the least expensive one – the only one to operate its aircraft in an all-Economy Class configuration while also still serving its cheapskate passengers a luncheon enroute. By now you surely know the drill – airline, aircraft, rank and serial number. Now drop and give me twenty! Or a correct answer!
HINT: This is the smallest jet serving this route

60. (1982) Back in 1982, twin engine jets were not widely used on long predominantly over-water flights. Indeed, from the east coast of the United States, only one airline operated 737 flights to destinations in the Caribbean over 1000 miles away. Identify that airline, the U.S. gateway airport from which its 737 flights departed and the two Caribbean destinations so served.
HINT: It's a foreign airline

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 12, 2019 at 6:12 pm
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
See Post 16191 & 16198 HINT: It's a twin-engine jet
37. Well, what the heck.....I'll go with a rather mundane guess being good old Eastern operating a DC-9-30 Nassau - Atlanta - Indianapolis.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
See Post 16191 & 16198 HINT: It's a twin-engine jet

Well, what the heck.....I'll go with a rather mundane guess being good old Eastern operating a DC-9-30 Nassau - Atlanta - Indianapolis.

Hey now! Way to step up to the plate and take a swing! Pity those poor cads too timid to do so! Unfortunately, this swing's a strike but in thinking back to twin jet operators back east in 1988, I'm sure you'll knock this one out of the park sooner rather than later. Good luck! ^
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
60. (1982) Back in 1982, twin engine jets were not widely used on long predominantly over-water flights. Indeed, from the east coast of the United States, only one airline operated 737 flights to destinations in the Caribbean over 1000 miles away. Identify that airline, the U.S. gateway airport from which its 737 flights departed and the two Caribbean destinations so served.
HINT: It's a foreign airline
Offhand, I can think of two Caribbean airlines who were big operators of 737s. The fact that there are two Caribbean destinations as opposed to just one involved is leading me to guess Bahamasair.

Bahamasair 737 EWR-NAS and EWR-FPO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.