Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

50. (1995) Business calls in the form of a marketing seminar down in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. From your home in Mt. Kisco, New York you imagine the best way to get to Baton Rouge will by departing out of either LaGuardia or Newark with a probable connection in Atlanta or New Orleans. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a two-stop direct flight departing nearby Westchester County Airport in White Plains each afternoon at 4:00pm. You quickly book a seat. Please identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

54. (1983) It wasn’t so long ago that you remember flyin’ Central Airlines between Dallas and most anywhere in Nebraska. Most all of them flights was aboard Convair 600s or some such airplanes. How times have changed! These days there’s still a direct flight between Dallas and Lincoln, but it’s operated with a jet! The flight makes two stops enroute and a snack is served along the way. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the two enroute stops please.
Time for a couple of wild guesses....

50. Northwest operating a DC-9-30 White Plains - Detroit - Memphis - Baton Rouge.

54. Frontier operating a B737-200 Dallas/Fort Worth - Denver - Omaha - Lincoln.

And BTW, I do not recall Central Airlines serving Nebraska!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: BA
48. (1987) Only one airline operates between North America and London utilizing three different types of wide bodied aircraft on the same route – each built by a different manufacturer. Identify the airline and the city it serves London from with its three different types of widebodies. And what the heck - you might as well identify the aircraft types as well.

You know, I'm pretty confident I checked through all the flights into London when I formulated this question, ….. In the meantime, please feel free to continue to submit your thoughts on this question and I will provide answers to all tomorrow evening.
Going for the B Cal takeover by BA in the dying days of 1987 was quite a chance anyway; they carried on separately as far as the OAG etc would be concerned for quite some months afterwards while the merger was done.

OK, having worked through the principal contenders, who else do we have. A smaller operator with widebodies from three manufacturers ?

Well what about …. Wardair. Established Boeing 747, and also Douglas DC-10 operator, in 1987 I think they would be just taking delivery of some of the first Airbus A310 used across the Atlantic. Principal route was Toronto to London Gatwick. They hadn’t long had scheduled licences for this but had a longstanding tradition of holiday charters on the route. Maybe not daily operations by each of the aircraft types, but possibly different planes on different days of the week. Depends very much on which month of the year – Wardair did multiple flights a day from Toronto to London in summer, but not even daily in winter, when the fleet moved very much to Caribbean and Hawaii runs.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
35- welp, there are actually two other airlines that I can imagine serving RAP-CPR-DEN-XXX-LIT, but the fact that it’s not a 737 makes me very reluctant to posit UA ... that being the case, I suspect the jet in question is a Continental DC-9-10, and that being the case, I suspect XXX is **not** their Houston (IAH) hub ... how’s about Oklahoma City (OKC)
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
50. (1995) Business calls in the form of a marketing seminar down in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. From your home in Mt. Kisco, New York you imagine the beNorthwest NW 297 White Plst way to get to Baton Rouge will by departing out of either LaGuardia or Newark with a probable connection in Atlanta or New Orleans. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a two-stop direct flight departing nearby Westchester County Airport in White Plains each afternoon at 4:00pm. You quickly book a seat. Please identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

Northwest operating a DC-9-30 White Plains - Detroit - Memphis - Baton Rouge.

Yep, that's the one alright. ^ Here's the schedule...

Northwest NW 297 White Plains (HPN) 359p-546p Detroit (DTW) 635p-730p S Memphis (MEM) 810p-915p Baton Rouge (BTR) DC-9-30 Daily

54. (1983) It wasn’t so long ago that you remember flyin’ Central Airlines between Dallas and most anywhere in Nebraska. Most all of them flights was aboard Convair 600s or some such airplanes. How times have changed! These days there’s still a direct flight between Dallas and Lincoln, but it’s operated with a jet! The flight makes two stops enroute and a snack is served along the way. Identify the airline, the aircraft type and the two enroute stops please.

I do not recall Central Airlines serving Nebraska! Frontier operating a B737-200 Dallas/Fort Worth - Denver - Omaha - Lincoln.

Now, now - you can't expect someone who utilizes incomplete present participles to have a good recall of flights from 50 years ago. That said, we're looking for an airline other than Frontier operating a different aircraft type. Please, guess again.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
54- allow me to jump in here with a guess of Ozark, running a DC-9 via St. Louis (STL) and Cedar Rapids (CID)
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
48. (1987) Only one airline operates between North America and London utilizing three different types of wide bodied aircraft on the same route – each built by a different manufacturer. Identify the airline and the city it serves London from with its three different types of widebodies. And what the heck - you might as well identify the aircraft types as well.

Well what about …. Wardair. Established Boeing 747, and also Douglas DC-10 operator, in 1987 I think they would be just taking delivery of some of the first Airbus A310 used across the Atlantic. Principal route was Toronto to London Gatwick.

Yes! This is the trio that I found per the 1987 OAG I referenced. That said, let's keep this question open as I am certainly amenable to checking out other North American gateways upon my return to Denali late tomorrow.

Per the OAG schedules between Toronto and London Gatwick Wardair was shown to be operating the 747, DC-10 and A300. Although the schedules dd not reflect A310 operations, they could have easily been lumped under the generic AB3 listing, especially if Wardair varied the type depending upon projected loads each day.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
35. (1983) You’re in Rapid City, South Dakota and have just received a call from the home office that your services are required in Little Rock, Arkansas the day after tomorrow. A quick check of the schedules indicates it can be done, albeit via a 3-stop direct flight tomorrow morning. After getting over your shock that there’s actually a direct flight between these two disparate destinations, you call the travel office and arrange to book a seat on that flight. Name the airline, aircraft type and the three enroute stops please.
Welp, there are actually two other airlines that I can imagine serving RAP-CPR-DEN-XXX-LIT, but the fact that it’s not a 737 makes me very reluctant to posit UA ... that being the case, I suspect the jet in question is a Continental DC-9-10, and that being the case, I suspect XXX is **not** their Houston (IAH) hub ... how’s about Oklahoma City (OKC)?

Continental is correct! However, the last stop was not OKC. We're definitely moving into "tap in" territory now, but even the best golfers occasionally miss those short putts. Put this ball in the hole, J!

Allow me to jump in here with a guess of Ozark, running a DC-9 via St. Louis (STL) and Cedar Rapids (CID)

Did Ozark serve Lincoln? Probably. I don't know. That said, the airline we're looking for was not Ozark and the routing did not include either STL or CID. However, the aircraft was a member of the DC-9 family. Please, guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 1, 2019 at 2:05 pm
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

35- gotta be Tulsa (TUL) for the tap-in
54- let’s say Republic; D9S; Memphis (MEM) and Kansas City (MCI)
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA
Per the OAG schedules between Toronto and London Gatwick Wardair was shown to be operating the 747, DC-10 and A300. Although the schedules dd not reflect A310 operations, they could have easily been lumped under the generic AB3 listing, especially if Wardair varied the type depending upon projected loads each day.
Just looked this up, Wardair had both A300 and A310 that year. The A300 were the ex-South African Airways fleet secondhand, the A310 were new. I don't remember ever seeing a Wardair A300 in Britain, only the A310 (which nowadays incidentally are the Canadian Air Force troop and VIP fleet). I'm not sure the A300 had the legs for Transatlantic flights, they were early A300-B4 models, not the later A300-600 that American and others used. I know Laker, who took delivery of the first couple of their A300-B4s in the months before they went under, looked at using them on Gatwick to Toronto, where they had become the No 2 carrier after Wardair, instead of DC-10s, but concluded it was beyond their range.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

54. An even wilder guess....

Emerald Air operating a DC-9-10 Dallas/Fort Worth - Wichita - Omaha - Lincoln.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Just looked this up, Wardair had both A300 and A310 that year. The A300 were the ex-South African Airways fleet secondhand, the A310 were new. I don't remember ever seeing a Wardair A300 in Britain, only the A310 (which nowadays incidentally are the Canadian Air Force troop and VIP fleet).
I saw one of these Royal Canadian Air Force A310 aircraft several years ago parked on the ramp at, of all places, New Orleans International (MSY).

The A310 was parked adjacent to the Atlantic Aviation FBO (yes, they have a quite spacious aircraft parking area) along with four RCAF CF-18 "Hornet" fighters. all of which were preparing to depart MSY.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
40. (1982) In 1982, this domestic U.S. airline flew just one type of jet in scheduled service and operated a total of six flights – three in each direction between just one city pair. Can you identify the airline, the city pair and the aircraft type flown?

Muse Air, MD-80, DAL-HOU
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
35. (1983) You’re in Rapid City, South Dakota and have just received a call from the home office that your services are required in Little Rock, Arkansas the day after tomorrow. A quick check of the schedules indicates it can be done, albeit via a 3-stop direct flight tomorrow morning. After getting over your shock that there’s actually a direct flight between these two disparate destinations, you call the travel office and arrange to book a seat on that flight. Name the airline, aircraft type and the three enroute stops please.

Gotta be Tulsa (TUL) for the tap-in

That's the ticket, J! Here's the schedule...

Continental Airlines CO 740 Rapid City (RAP) 705a-746a S Casper (CPR) 806a-855a Denver (DEN) 1055a-121p S Tulsa (TUL) 145p-232p Little Rock (LIT) DC9-10 Daily

Let’s say Republic; D9S; Memphis (MEM) and Kansas City (MCI)

Alas, it was not Republic. Nor was the flight routed via MEM and MCI. That means it must have been __________________________
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

An even wilder guess.... Emerald Air operating a DC-9-10 Dallas/Fort Worth - Wichita - Omaha - Lincoln.

Sounds good, but then again, did Emerald serve LNK? OMA yes, but not LNK me thinks. In any event, we're still looking for a different airline - the only one to offer direct service between DFW and LNK and one that also operated the DC-9-10 on this route. Additionally, OMA was indeed one of the stops, as in DFW - _____ - OMA - LNK.

Armed with this additional knowledge, I expect you'll make short work of this question now...
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
40. (1982) In 1982, this domestic U.S. airline flew just one type of jet in scheduled service and operated a total of six flights – three in each direction between just one city pair. Can you identify the airline, the city pair and the aircraft type flown?

Muse Air, MD-80, DAL-HOU

Per the 1982 schedule I referenced for this question, Muse was by then serving a good number of Texas destinations with more than just six flights. The search continues!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.