Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2021, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA
For a fellow who lives across the vast expanse of the Atlantic from North America, your recall of our airlines, their history and routes is beyond impressive - as evidenced by your correct identification of the short-lived if not obscure carrier Access Air.
Actually there's a connection. After getting going with two ex-Lufthansa 737s, Access Air got two more 737s which were from the old British Airways fleet, G-BKYC and 'YG. These quite late -200 series models were withdrawn by BA, and leased in Peru, but where the airline went under within months. BA got them reassigned again to Access Air, and they were painted up as such, but didn't enter service I believe before they went out of business as well. I think they got a bit of odd work afterwards but were then scrapped - always well looked after at BA and with only about 15 years service. We do tend to keep tabs on our old fleet.

I see (only because I took a photo of it at Tegel) I was once on G-BKYC on Berlin TXL to London, returning from a business trip in western Poland, visiting with a contact there who had another contact in Russia who came into our corporate orbit, who later got married to someone there who had a sister, who ... and a few of you here know the rest
Seat 2A and jlemon like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 7:50 am

My library is temporarily inaccessible due to major remodeling work, but I have another "JoeDTW Special" for you to work on this week, in addition to the terrific questions others have posted. I prepared this question before the remodeling crew arrived.

On September 9, 1972, you're relaxing on Playa del Rey beach, watching the steady stream of aircraft departing from LAX while eating takeout food from Pancho's Restaurant in Manhattan Beach, accompanied by a few cans of Tecate.

As a United 720 screams overhead, you suddenly realize that you've always wanted to fly on a UA 720, but have never done so, and time may be running out. You quickly walk back to your Chevrolet Vega, lift the hatchback, and pull out the OAG you keep just for moments like this.

The Sep 1972 OAG shows that UA has 7 720 departures a day from LAX, to 5 cities, but tomorrow will be the final day of UA 720 service; after that, UA's 720s will be replaced with 727-100s or standard DC-8s.

Which 5 cities could you fly a UA 720 to from LAX on the final day of service? Hint: all 5 cities were in the Pacific and Mountain time zones.

For bonus credit, one of UA's final 720 flights from LAX continued from an airport in the Mountain time zone to an airport in the Central time zone, but that airport was not ORD.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
… On September 9, 1972, you're relaxing on Playa del Rey beach, watching the steady stream of aircraft departing from LAX while eating takeout food from Pancho's Restaurant in Manhattan Beach, accompanied by a few cans of Tecate.
we lived in Westchester (just north of LAX) from ~Jan 1961 to ~Oct 1962; I may be misremembering things, but I recall that Pancho’s in Manhattan Beach was one of my dad’s favorites because it was actually a Chinese restaurant

The Sep 1972 OAG shows that UA has 7 720 departures a day from LAX, to 5 cities … Which 5 cities could you fly a UA 720 to from LAX on the final day of service? Hint: all 5 cities were in the Pacific and Mountain time zones.

For bonus credit, one of UA's final 720 flights from LAX continued from an airport in the Mountain time zone to an airport in the Central time zone, but that airport was not ORD.
PDT: Seattle, Portland, San Francisco
MDT: Denver (continuing to Kansas City), Salt Lake City
Old Jul 26, 2021, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
we lived in Westchester (just north of LAX) from ~Jan 1961 to ~Oct 1962; I may be misremembering things, but I recall that Pancho’s in Manhattan Beach was one of my dad’s favorites because it was actually a Chinese restaurant

Pancho's is currently a Mexican restaurant, but it may have been a Chinese restaurant in the 1960s.

PDT: Seattle, Portland, San Francisco
MDT: Denver (continuing to Kansas City), Salt Lake City

SEA, PDX, SFO, and DEN are correct. SLC is incorrect, and the tag city was not Kansas City.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
ok, let's try these:
  • UA didn't have many (any?) other destinations in the Mountain time zone, so the 5th destination was perhaps Las Vegas
  • the DEN flight may have continued to Milwaukee
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
B008. (1989) As a well sought after free-lance travel writer, yours is an envious lot indeed. You’ve just finished writing an article for Conde Nast Traveler magazine about Varadero, Cuba - one of the largest and most popular resort areas in the Caribbean. Now you’re on your way to Honolulu for a reunion with your old college roommates. Nobody said it would be easy traveling from Cuba to Hawaii in 1989, but you’ve found a workable itinerary involving three flights aboard three different airlines, each operating a different aircraft type. One of the aircraft has two engines, another has three engines and the other has four engines – though they are not necessarily flown in that order. None of the airlines are from the U.S. So then, please identify the three airlines, the route to be flown and the three different aircraft. ¡Apúrate pues!

I'll start with Cubana flying VRA-YYZ with a TU-154, connecting to an Air Canada 767-200 to YVR and then a Canadian Airlines 747-200 to HNL.

You're off to a fairly decent start here, YVR. The routing you've submitted is correct, as are Air Canada (though not between YYZ and YVR) and the 747-200. However, Cubana and Canadian Airlines were not part of the routing. This should be fairly easy to clean up. ¡Adelante, entonces!
If Air Canada was not on the YYZ-YVR leg, then I assume it was on the VRA-YYZ leg then, with a 727-200. Canada 3000 with a A-310 YYZ-YVR and WardAir YVR-HNL747-200.

I was actulally thinking the route could have been VRA-MEX-YVR-HNL but I doubt there were VRA-MEX flights then (or now).
Old Jul 27, 2021, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
ok, let's try these:
  • UA didn't have many (any?) other destinations in the Mountain time zone, so the 5th destination was perhaps Las Vegas
  • the DEN flight may have continued to Milwaukee
LAS and MKE are both incorrect.

UA did fly a 720 DEN-MKE on the last day, but it originated in SFO, not LAX.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

The Sep 1972 OAG shows that UA has 7 720 departures a day from LAX, to 5 cities, but tomorrow will be the final day of UA 720 service; after that, UA's 720s will be replaced with 727-100s or standard DC-8s.

Which 5 cities could you fly a UA 720 to from LAX on the final day of service? Hint: all 5 cities were in the Pacific and Mountain time zones.

I'll guess the missing city we are looking for here with nonstop Boeing 720 service from LAX was San Diego and the 720 eastbound service from DEN continued on to Omaha.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

I was actually thinking the route could have been VRA-MEX-YVR-HNL but I doubt there were VRA-MEX flights then (or now).
I don't think Varadero ever had service to Mexico City as well as I believe one would have to depart from Havana instead with Cancun and Merida also being served from Havana.

And BTW, back in the mid 1990s, Cubana was operating Tupolev Tu-154 service nonstop between Havana and Cancun several days a week.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by WHBM
Wasn't there a short-lived prairie carrier called Access Air that ran 737-200s across the continent at this time ? New York to Peoria, Moline, Des Moines and then LAX ? I presume they aimed at traffic to their homeland ports from both ends rather than the throughout trip. Their 737s came from Lufthansa, so if we want the aircraft type more than that given, it would be a 737-230.
I had the pleasure of seeing an AccessAir 737 in person. Waiting to board another airline and flight, I saw the AccessAir 737 taxi past the gate in the narrow areas between concourses. Only saw it once. It was at LAX.

The airline wasn't around very long, probably less than a year though it did resume service again briefly but not to LGA or LAX.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
B008. (1989) As a well sought after free-lance travel writer, yours is an envious lot indeed. You’ve just finished writing an article for Conde Nast Traveler magazine about Varadero, Cuba - one of the largest and most popular resort areas in the Caribbean. Now you’re on your way to Honolulu for a reunion with your old college roommates. Nobody said it would be easy traveling from Cuba to Hawaii in 1989, but you’ve found a workable itinerary involving three flights aboard three different airlines, each operating a different aircraft type. One of the aircraft has two engines, another has three engines and the other has four engines – though they are not necessarily flown in that order. None of the airlines are from the U.S. So then, please identify the three airlines, the route to be flown and the three different aircraft. ¡Apúrate pues!

If Air Canada was not on the YYZ-YVR leg, then I assume it was on the VRA-YYZ leg with a 727-200. Canada 3000 with a A-310 YYZ-YVR and WardAir YVR-HNL 747-200.

Moving right along here... Herb Alpert's Greatest Hits is playing in the background as I make my way through a fifth of Bulleit Bourbon here at 2:06am ADT. Air Canada between VRA and YYZ with a 727-200 is correct!. Canada 3000 has no place in this itinerary. However, Wardair does. Additionally, the A310 also plays a role. Neither flew the YVR-HNL leg though.... You're almost there, YVR.

I was actulally thinking the route could have been VRA-MEX-YVR-HNL but I doubt there were VRA-MEX flights then (or now).

Have you also been up late drinking to excess? Probably not, since you recognized the improbability of VRA-MEX flights then and now. Truth be told, had there been a flight from VRA to MEX, I suspect the better routing to HNL would have been through LAX.

Here's what we know so far...
  • The routing is VRA-YYZ-YVR-HNL
  • The other two aircraft are an A310 and a 747-200
  • The first leg VRA-YYZ was flown by an Air Canada 727-200
  • Wardair is one of the airlines involved

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 28, 2021 at 12:22 pm
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
I don't think Varadero ever had service to Mexico City as well as I believe one would have to depart from Havana instead with Cancun and Merida also being served from Havana.
Varadero is essentially the tourist airport of Cuba, where you will find Canadian (particularly) and European holiday flights, as opposed to normal commercial operations. It's not too far from Havana, and on that side of the resorts, but a different experience. Notably flights inbound from Europe work Miami Center before transferring to the Cuban tower.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
B009. (1993) As the buyer for Denver’s leading supplier of Mexican artisanal housewares, you’re off to Veracruz, Mexico next week to inspect and possibly purchase a large supply of Mexican Talavera tiles. Your travel agent has come up with an intriguing three flight itinerary utilizing three different airlines, each of them operating a different aircraft built by the same manufacturer. Can you identify the three airlines, the routing and the three different aircraft types? Por supuesto!
B009- let's give this one a whirl:
  • DEN-Houston/IAH, Continental, 737-324
  • IAH-Mexico City/MEX, Air France, 747-228B (perhaps even a Combi, depending on day of the week)
  • MEX-VER, Mexicana, 727-264
Old Jul 28, 2021, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

And BTW, back in the mid 1990s, Cubana was operating Tupolev Tu-154 service nonstop between Havana and Cancun several days a week.
I was thinking if there was a way to make the JAL 747-200 tag between MEX and YVR work, but, as we all surmised, flights between countries in this part of the world are probably between capital (political which are often the business/commercial one too) cities. And I doubt anyone in Mexico would fly to a resort in Cuba!

Originally Posted by WHBM
Varadero is essentially the tourist airport of Cuba, where you will find Canadian (particularly) and European holiday flights, as opposed to normal commercial operations. It's not too far from Havana, and on that side of the resorts, but a different experience. Notably flights inbound from Europe work Miami Center before transferring to the Cuban tower.
Yes, and I am surprised by the infrastructure. Not huge and luxurious but more than adequate given the low volume of flights. FWIW, VRA was the first and only airport by which I've arrived into Cuba. I think almost all the pax (except my wife and myself, and this young goth-ish coupled clad in black who we passed trekking out to the main road) boarded busses or taxis for the resort. We tried to find a car to take us to Matanzas. (oil refining city in the other direction) but the only transportation available were cabs,

Most of the provincial Cuban airports can accommodate surprisingly-large a/c. On our departure out of HOG, there was a A330 belonging to, IIRC, LTU.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

B008.

(was trying to make the JAL MEX-YVR tag work for the 4-engine flight but that would probably only have worked out of HAV if at all)

From the clues it is pretty obvious WardAir with an A310 for the YYZ-YVR leg.

If it isn't WardAir, Air Canada or Canadian for the YVR-HNL leg operated by a 747, I think that eliminates all Canadian carriers? Doubt if it was an European carrier in that era, and don't think any Asian carrier would have gone off the great circle that much to go via HNL. Have no idea if QANTAS operated 747s between HNL and YVR (just 763s ~10-12 years later) but it certainly did out of SFO but I will guess QANTAS anyway for YVR-HNL, with the 747-200...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.