Reload this Page >

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, *G, OW G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Leaning tower of Pisa. Not a whole lot going on and swarming with people. There is nothing else around and unless you are doing a trip around the rest of Tuscany, it is not worth it.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:43 am

Programs: QFF
Cannot agree enough with Madame Tussaud's. Went while I was in New York and was pretty disappointed.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:53 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Manneken Pis in Brussels: it's a tiny statue of a boy peeing. Most people are disappointed when the see it. But as it's only a short walk from the Grand Place (definitely a must-see) most people go anyway, only to see what costume it is wearing (if any). So go see it, but expect to be disappointed
Few people know that he has a female counterpart, hidden in a small dead-end street on the other side of Grand Place. A statue of a peeing boy is regarded as funny but many tourists feel different when being confronted with a peeing girl, so the tourist office doesn't promote it.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG Plat Amb, Le Club Accor Plat.
Little Mermaid in Copenhagen.

I love Copenhagen I really do and there are a multitude of things to do here but give the little mermaid a miss - 'little' doesn't justify the word. Location is a bit out of the way and you can do alternative things in your time rather than visit this statue.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:38 pm

I agree with others. Leaning Tower of Pisa
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:17 pm

Disneyworld (or -land, etc.). Perhaps I would have appreciated it had I not gone for the first time in high school on a school trip. However, I am mystified by the fact that Disney has been marketing their parks--successfully!--to childless adults. What's the appeal?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:46 am

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Athens and the Acropolis

Yes, the Parthenon is amazing in many ways and I am glad that I did see it ... once.

But once you get there you realize that the place is not very well maintained, the most recent restoration effort goes unfinished after 30+ years, and the grounds are inhabited by dozens of feral dogs who have discovered that wherever the tourists roam, food waste can't be far behind.

I'd contend that it is worth a trip to take it off your bucket list but, if planning a vacation to Greece, I'd spend much more time on the islands and far less time in the city.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:06 am

I actually liked the campo around the leaning tower, and I would probably never have visited if relatives didn't want to see the leaning tower.

For me it's definitely Manneken Pis.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I'm surprised no one has so far mentioned the Sphinx.

The Pyramids at Giza are impressive and worth visiting (if you can overlook the rubbish, flies, over pricing, over crowding and the close proximity of a KFC) but the Sphinx is so disappointing. For something that is so often photographed and so famous, in reality it is a tiny pile of rubble with only the face now resembling anything that it once was. Definitely not worth bothering with.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:15 am

THE ALAMO.

I'm from San Antonio. It's a huge bummer, and it's because instead of preserving the land, it's downtown, surrounded by hotels, shops, buildings. It's really a sad sight.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by topmikey
THE ALAMO.

I'm from San Antonio. It's a huge bummer, and it's because instead of preserving the land, it's downtown, surrounded by hotels, shops, buildings. It's really a sad sight.
I was especially disappointed with the basement.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by topmikey
THE ALAMO.

Could this be because you are from SAT? Usually people tend to not value things they see regularly. For instance I grew up in India and have seen many Hindu temples but there is clearly a difference in my reaction and that of a non-Indian.

I am thinking of making a trip there next month and so would like to hear what others. have to say about the Alamo.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:41 pm

Probably Times Square in New York. Fascinating to study in terms of urban planning and history, especially with Disney's huge but often hidden role in shaping the entire area, but besides the theaters, it's just a huge tourist trap.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:09 pm

Empire State Building, NYC. Pay $24 for the privilege of waiting in a series of endless lines, all for a not-terribly-impressive view.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MusicManSamwise
Empire State Building, NYC. Pay $24 for the privilege of waiting in a series of endless lines, all for a not-terribly-impressive view.
Wow, they're up to $24 now??

I thought it was a rip-off at $13 a decade ago. Only paid it because it was my colleague's first visit to NYC, and he really wanted to go up.

Can't remember what I paid to go to the top of the WTC back then, but I remember the view was much more impressive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.