Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Plymouth Rock (US state of Massachusetts). Pretty sure that, because pilgrims landed in that area, signs for "Plymouth soil" would be just as valid...and just as lackluster.

I'd take the OceanSpray (cranberry juice company) plant over the well-guarded rock any day.
I posted that somewhere above. It should be highlighted as the number one tourist farce in the world, IMO. Maybe it's worth seeing for that...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
I would respectfully add Topkapı Palace in Istanbul as being highly overrated. It's generally included on tours of the city. I've visited twice and was completely un-impressed. On both visits, the tour guides said you could 'spend the entire day' there. We were in and out in about half hour; and that largely due to the enormous lines while visiting during the summer. The one selling point was the views from the balconies facing the Bosphorus (although they were closed last visit a few weeks back).

I would also say the island of Capri, in general. During the summer, the crowds are absolutely horrid, the food totally un-inspired and the lodging ludicrously expensive. One can get the same experience on similar islands in the area for a much smaller price. The Blue Lagoon was a total waste of time.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:29 am

A local tourist trap here in San Jose California is the Winchester Mystery House. Mrs. Winchester had this 160 room mansion built (trying to appease those who lost their life via the Winchester Rifle some say). While interesting (staircases that go no where) it is certainly not worth $35 entry fee for a tour IMHO. I sway visitors away and tell them instead to visit The Tech Museum and IMax Theater for example ($20).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Hard Rock Cafe (any city)
Ripley's Believe it or Not (any city)
Madame Tussaud's (any city)
The M&M's store (any city)
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:06 pm

Mona Lisa

The Mona Lisa would be nice to see if it wasn't tiny, and your view wasn't always blocked by two dozen security guards and three hundred tourists.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Hard Rock Cafe (any city)
Ripley's Believe it or Not (any city)
Madame Tussaud's (any city)
The M&M's store (any city)
Hit the nail on the head, especially with the Hard Rock Cafe. I mean, their food really isn't even that good IMHO.

Madame Tussaud's is also redundant. Seen one, seen 'em all!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
The "Jadeite Cabbage" at the National Palace Museum in Taipei.

Yes the artist was probably a genius since its so hard to carve and he/she used the flaws of the rock to incorporate it into the design, but in the end, its just a very small (much smaller than many expect) cabbage shaped Jadeite.

The Museum itself is lovely, and there is a lot more to see otherwise that will give people a good sense of Chinese and Taiwanese history but everyone always asks about the cabbage...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
There was a time 20 years ago when Hard Rock Cafe actually had a pretty good burger but that time is long past.

Though I do have a friend who ends up in Amsterdam a bunch and she says she'll go to HRC every so often when she just wants one of those American-style endless sodas with proper levels of ice.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Ayers Rock - got up at 3.30am to see sunrise but it was cloudy.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
Ayers Rock - got up at 3.30am to see sunrise but it was cloudy.
Typical Pommy whinge. Blaming the weather. Ayers Rock is stunning no matter what time of day you visit.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by OzJohnno
Typical Pommy whinge. Blaming the weather. Ayers Rock is stunning no matter what time of day you visit.
I haven't been there yet, but even in the wet season it would be spectacular to see the water running off it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by brewdog11
hit the nail on the head, especially with the hard rock cafe. I mean, their food really isn't even that good imho.

Madame tussaud's is also redundant. Seen one, seen 'em all!
absolutely
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:35 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Overrated might be...complaining about a place having too many tourists when in fact, that's what we're designated as when visiting these sites.

If you REALLY don't want to see a horde of mirror images fumbling about, try Great Zimbabwe, Dhaka or Salar de Uyuni.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:00 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Copy that on the Mona Lisa but the rest of the Louvre is so incredible, including the wall painting right behind Mrs Lisa, that it compensates....

Hard Rock....???....what expectation does one have of a chain burger place?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:46 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Stonehenge. DH is from South England and I once begged him to take me. It's a two hour drive I'll never get back.

Mount Rushmore. I feel compelled to explain what I was doing out there.

The summer I turned 20, my sister (who was 29 at the time) and I - purely for the hell of it - drove across the US, making a huge circle from Raleigh, NC. We'd both been across on I40 before and picked a different way; our older brother lives in Seattle so we figured why not take the northern plains across? That's how we ended up in South Dakota. Anyway, you go through Rapid City, go up this mountain (if you can call it that), peek through the trees, and there's this gigantic bust of Teddy Roosevelt peering at you, and you're staring at George's profile. Creepy as hell. You stand at the base of it and look up and you're like, well, duh. Nothing left to do but get back in the car and head west! And we're still several days away from Seattle at the time.

Wall Drug was pretty overrated but definitely hilarious. Are there still signs starting as far back east as Council Bluffs, IA that say, 'HAVE YOU DUG WALL DRUG?'

Since I'm here in TX, I have to admit I've been disappointed by SPI, Port Aransas, Corpus Christi - the Gulf Coast in general. I'm not slamming TX, but I am shocked by their beach areas. Overrated, overpriced, and a host of things I'll leave off this thread. All that stuff is very hyped up here and for the life of me I don't see why.

Stonehenge, though, was definitely the worst. DH has not let me live that one down. Yet.

Last edited by Pup7; Jan 30, 2013 at 3:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.