Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: SPG LTPlat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by jammanxc
The Eiffel Tower and the Louvre in Paris, Big Ben and The Eye in London, Times Square in NYC, The Strip in Las Vegas, De Wallen (RLD) in Amsterdam, Taipei 101 Observation Deck in Taiwan, The Bund in Shanghai
Can you explain what disappointed you ? By the way you did not see Big Ben, that is the bell you can hear, in the House of Commons Clock Tower.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: SPG LTPlat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I would respectfully add Topkapı Palace in Istanbul as being highly overrated. It's generally included on tours of the city. I've visited twice and was completely un-impressed. On both visits, the tour guides said you could 'spend the entire day' there. We were in and out in about half hour; and that largely due to the enormous lines while visiting during the summer. The one selling point was the views from the balconies facing the Bosphorus (although they were closed last visit a few weeks back).

I would also say the island of Capri, in general. During the summer, the crowds are absolutely horrid, the food totally un-inspired and the lodging ludicrously expensive. One can get the same experience on similar islands in the area for a much smaller price. The Blue Lagoon was a total waste of time.
Could not agree less, the fact so many visit is a testement to its charm and beauty, go in the off season, stay the night and wander the streets when the day trippers have gone, eat in Ana Capri for wonderful reasonably prices food.

The Blue GROTTO takes a little time but well worth it.

It is touristy on this little island but get off the main drag and its wonderful, I do agree there are many other excellent islands and Amalfi close by but I find Capri a special place.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club
Amsterdam.

Went there past weekend with the family and was pretty underwhelmed. If you're into drinking, the Red Light district, or consuming "special" cookies, brownies, and lollipops, then it may excite you. Otherwise, besides the canals and the I Amsterdam sign, there's not much to look at. Museums were eh and food was alright. I think London is MUCH more vibrant.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by chicagodesi
Amsterdam.

Went there past weekend with the family and was pretty underwhelmed. If you're into drinking, the Red Light district, or consuming "special" cookies, brownies, and lollipops, then it may excite you. Otherwise, besides the canals and the I Amsterdam sign, there's not much to look at. Museums were eh and food was alright. I think London is MUCH more vibrant.
Doesn't it depend on what you're interested in? I'm definitely not into the drinking, sex, and dope scene, but if you're interested in Dutch art from the golden era of the 17th century, the Rijksmuseum is not "eh." Similarly for the Van Gogh Museum and Stedelijk Museum, if those are your interests. Otherwise, of course, they wouldn't be too appealing.

There seems to be a pattern in this thread of people citing museums and monuments that aren't really up their alley as being overrated tourist traps. The Louvre? All of London? (both from other posts, above)

As someone who's interested in art, but is not a beach person, I guess I could say that the best tropical islands in the world are overrated. I think it would be more accurate to say that they just don't appeal to me.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Doesn't it depend on what you're interested in? I'm definitely not into the drinking, sex, and dope scene, but if you're interested in Dutch art from the golden era of the 17th century, the Rijksmuseum is not "eh." Similarly for the Van Gogh Museum and Stedelijk Museum, if those are your interests. Otherwise, of course, they wouldn't be too appealing.

There seems to be a pattern in this thread of people citing museums and monuments that aren't really up their alley as being overrated tourist traps. The Louvre? All of London? (both from other posts, above)

As someone who's interested in art, but is not a beach person, I guess I could say that the best tropical islands in the world are overrated. I think it would be more accurate to say that they just don't appeal to me.
50/50 All the good Van Gogh art is elsewhere, but the Rijkmuseum is stunning.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I can say I didn't think the Louvre was a particularly pleasant place- way too many people trying to see way too many paintings that seemed pretty haphazardly placed, climate control that they wouldn't run to keep the big name galleries to tolerable temperatures, and randomly closed galleries where you didn't know about the closure until you'd hiked a quarter mile through other less interesting spots to get there. I wouldn't call it overrated, but Orangerie and d'Orsay, while smaller, were tightly curated and you didn't have the sense that they were just throwing stuff up on the walls and seeing what stuck in the minds of patrons, and I ended up liking those two more than the Louvre.

I'll save the overrated tag for the Pompidou Centre (l'habitrail des hommes) which was cutting edge architecture when it opened but hasn't really stood the test of time.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I'm getting a bit OT (and pedantic ) here, but though the real "star" Van Gogh paintings are elsewhere, the Van Gogh Museum offers the chance to really trace his development as an artist. He's not my favorite painter, but I find it interesting to trace his evolution. And, if I'm not mistaken, the museum does have The Potato Eaters, The Bedroom in Arles, and the rather chilling Wheatfield with Crows, all of which are pretty significant works.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I'm getting a bit OT (and pedantic ) here, but though the real "star" Van Gogh paintings are elsewhere, the Van Gogh Museum offers the chance to really trace his development as an artist. He's not my favorite painter, but I find it interesting to trace his evolution. And, if I'm not mistaken, the museum does have The Potato Eaters, The Bedroom in Arles, and the rather chilling Wheatfield with Crows, all of which are pretty significant works.
I'll give you part of that and change my vote to 60/40.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:08 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Starry Night is at MoMA | Museum of Modern Art New York but you can't see it for the huge mob of cell-phone flashing patrons about 12 deep. Admittedly it was a free Friday night, but still. They totally ignored the other Van Goghs. It is kind of fun to walk through the exhibits and try to guess what drew the crowd. I'll check out the Rijkmuseum at the end of July.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Gosh this thread is a depressing read...is there anywhere good to travel to?

That being said I'm going to throw my hat into the ring.

1) Madame Tussaud's Wax museum. I was in the one in London but I understand there are quite a few of them. Why you would travel to see something fake like this is just beyond me...

2) Waikiki Beach. Just a mediocre crowded beach with terrible imported/reconstructed sand, and loads of hotels. Short drives/bus trips reveal MUCH better beaches on Oahu (Kailua, Waimea, Kawela, Waimanalo, just to name a few off the top of my head), let alone those on other Islands (Maui)

I can't understand the people here nominating entire cities/countries/states. Surely this means you just didn't do good enough research before travelling?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by insomniac950
Goa, India. It is BY FAR the most overrated beach destination in the world. I was there with my wife for New Years Eve and I found the beaches to be atrocious, dirty, and most definitely not well maintained. The water clarity was probably a notch higher than the Mississippi River. If you're going to fork over a few grand for a tropical vacation, avoid this place. India has many wonderful places worth seeing but this certainly isn't one of them.
Sadly you fell for the tourist trap that is Goa. I have gotten this feedback and hence never visited Goa. There is a million other destinations and experiences in India that will blow you away!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Wellington
your boss must have a huge office.
The chapel is 134 feet long, 44 feet wide and 68 feet high. Who has a 6K sq. ft, 400K cu ft. office? That's bigger than two decent sized multi-floor houses. Were you at the right place? It's been 20 years and I still vividly remember laying on one of the benches and staring at the cieling for a good 5-10 minutes. This was just after the restoratiion, and it was stunning.

But I disagree with many of the above - to each his/her own.

I'll add the Blue Mosque in Istanbul. Yes, impressive for it's achievement for when it was built, but 30 minutes in line to stand in the front 1/6th of the building among a throng of people just isn't that impressive.

The Louvre is impressive for it's size and quantity of content, but a bit numbing after about 30 minutes looking at the umpteenth piece of Egyptian pottery. I'm sure it's great for a knowledgeable art fan. And La Joconde /Mona Lisa wasn't even the best item in the room in which it was located.

And India.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Las Vegas.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue

In general I think you're right - I certainly don't expect other people to share my dislike of St Peter's which is largely down to aesthetic taste. But some things definitely are spoilt by crowds (the Louvre being one of them it appears) or aren't half as impressive as you think they're going to be (Stonehenge for example).
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:51 pm

Pamukkale,Turkey-an interesting landscape ruined by the worst behaved tourist crowds I've encountered. I don't think it is well known in the US, but apparently is everywhere else.

Key West, FL I know many people who love it, who own vacation homes there and go frequently. I just don't get its appeal at all. I can't think of one good thing there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.