Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Khaosan is something of a tourist attraction, for the same type of "banana pancake" traveler that stays there.

I visited it (definitely am not a Khaosan backpacker-type) and was satiated by a Middle Eastern lunch followed by mango sticky rice.
While I enjoyed drinking beers and shooting people with waterguns there last spring, I still wouldn't call it a tourist attraction. It's a street with hotels, restaurants and bars. It may be well known in backpacker circles, but I don't think people have expectations of being wowed...it's just a street.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Mart81
Been to Stonehenge 4 times now as it's only half an hours drive away, lost its magic after the 1st time but when relatives/friends from abroad visit its still a must-do on the list. I'm more positive about Winchester and Bath, both beautiful old English towns

On an international level I find the Eiffel Tower (and Paris in general) quite boring
I am surprised how many people mentioned the Eiffel Tower in this thread. That is one site that I fully expected to be disappointed in...instead it completely impressed me! It is huge and awesome.

I will agree with StoneHenge though...
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:29 pm

Niagara Falls - Like many have said, once you see the falls, you've seen the falls. There is very little to do outside of that. The entertainment area on the Canadian side (Clifton Hill) is nothing more than a collection of wax museums, haunted houses, arcades, etc to take as much money as possible, starting from the parking. There are independent lots advertising parking for $5 thinking that it's for all day. Once you pull into the lot and park do they then tell you it's $5/hr.

Even their public transportation is a rip-off. They have a 24 hour pass for $7.00. What if I only intend to ride once? Sorry, it's still $7.00

I kick myself for staying 4 nights there. This was about 3 nights too many.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Nice to see this thread back at the top again ^

Mount Rushmore. You pay $11 to park your vehicle and then you look at it. It's a great approach, you walk up between the flags of every state. And then that's it. After a couple of minutes of looking at it, you get the feeling of "well, now what?". And there's not really much else you can do except walk the crowded trails with everyone else looking at it some more.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 17jwblue17
Pretty much all tourist attractions do not live up to the hype.

Or at least, for every well-known tourist attraction on Earth, there is at least one flyertalk member who thinks it is underwhelming.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:55 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Grand Canyon. ABQ/ Colorado was MUCH more impressive to me.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Wadi Rum, Jordan.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 1:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was not impressed by the Hungarian Parliament in Budapest. It's fairly expensive and the tour is very short. You see about four rooms, can't take any pictures of the crown jewels, then it's over. It doesn't help that the tours are fairly big and in some areas you're packing in pretty tightly.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Of all the places I've been, I felt the most over-rated place was the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, TN area. Had a family reunion there about 10 years ago. Nothing but one gianty, gaudy tourist trap with miniature golf courses, go-kart tracks, and knick-knack shops on every corner, and since there's only one main road through Pigeon Force and Gatlinburg and traffic was horrendous no matter what time of day. The Smoky Mountains are great - hiking and beautiful scenery. And I've only heard good things about the cabins up in the mountains if you do that although I haven't stayed in one personally. But you can skip Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
The Eiffel Tower and the Louvre in Paris, Big Ben and The Eye in London, Times Square in NYC, The Strip in Las Vegas, De Wallen (RLD) in Amsterdam, Taipei 101 Observation Deck in Taiwan, The Bund in Shanghai
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:35 pm

The Great Barrier Reef.

The diving here just wasn't that good.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
London in general. Unless you are big fan of Royal Family its boring as hell.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by fishdance
Wow...you need to get out more when you're in London.

Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, United Gold
Goa, India. It is BY FAR the most overrated beach destination in the world. I was there with my wife for New Years Eve and I found the beaches to be atrocious, dirty, and most definitely not well maintained. The water clarity was probably a notch higher than the Mississippi River. If you're going to fork over a few grand for a tropical vacation, avoid this place. India has many wonderful places worth seeing but this certainly isn't one of them.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by fishdance
I will find London absolutely thrilling then! I love the Royal Family!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.