Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
The Sistine Chapel (Yeah, I'll get slammed for this). OK. The art is beautiful. But the thing is the size of my boss' office. There are teen-aged kids in my neighborhood who could have painted that in half a day. You want to see art, go to the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
This. I think the pyramids were one of if not the only one that made me think "huh, these are actually impressive." To the guy who listed Khao Sahn Rd. above...what are you talking about? It's a street with cheap backpacker lodging and bars, not a tourist attraction.
You're right, but there are people who think it's tourist Mecca. Some go to BKK just to stay there. To me it's a place to avoid.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
The Sistine Chapel (Yeah, I'll get slammed for this). OK. The art is beautiful. But the thing is the size of my boss' office. There are teen-aged kids in my neighborhood who could have painted that in half a day. You want to see art, go to the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.
I'm with you, I was not impressed. Especially with St. Pietro right next door which really wowed me.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by wastedwords
I am surprised how many people mentioned the Eiffel Tower in this thread. That is one site that I fully expected to be disappointed in...instead it completely impressed me! It is huge and awesome.

I will agree with StoneHenge though...
Stonehenge is incredibly unimpressive in light of Avebury being a short drive away, being much larger, and also having a pub in the middle (Not a good pub, mind you, but a pub, nonetheless...).
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by jammanxc
...the Louvre...
WAT?

Yes it is touristy and the mobs large, but really?

Mine would be Atlantis in Nassau. $120 for water slides and a fake river. Yeah it was fun, but not $120 worth of fun. I had way more fun on a Sea-Doo in Key West a few days later for less than that.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm with you, I was not impressed. Especially with St. Pietro right next door which really wowed me.
I don't rate St Peter's personally. Too dark and ostentatious for my liking. I haven't seen the Sistine Chapel.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:49 am

I think San Francisco’s cable car is the most overrated tourist attraction in the world.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
The Eiffel Tower - I remember it as rusty and like giant meccano. Mind you I was a moody teenager at the time so I'm not sure anything would have impressed me.

The Pyramids at Giza - whilst the construction of the pyramids is undoubtedly spectacular I didn't expect the slums and neon coca cola signs to be within touching distance

The Grand Canal, Venice - filthy water, horrendous smell and so crowded it was claustrophobic.

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge - a complete assualt on the senses after driving through the beauty of the Smoky mountains

Kensington Palace, London - embarassingly poor selection of empty rooms with blacked out windows and pretentious arty displays of tiny chairs and folder paper.

I'm sure there are more than totally underwhelmed me - like the entire "historic" island of Malta however at least nobody ever described it as a tourist attraction!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
While I agree with you, your boss must have a huge office.

I basically ran through it as my girlfriend was not feeling well and even in the brief amount of time we did spend there I thought I had seen more than enough. We went in March and the crowds were out of control already. I can't imagine in the summer.

I'll add the Pantheon to this list.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: Up there, Route 36 LaPaz Diamond
South of the Border and nearby Myrtle Beach.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by fishdance
London in general. Unless you are big fan of Royal Family its boring as hell.
That's not being discriminating, that's ignorance.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fishdance
London in general. Unless you are big fan of Royal Family its boring as hell.
London is a fantastic city. And I really don't give a hoot about the Windsors or Battenbergs or Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha family
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Sedona, Arizona. The area is pretty enough, but so is most of Arizona. And all that new-agey stuff does nothing for me.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by brendog
Stonehenge is incredibly unimpressive in light of Avebury being a short drive away, being much larger, and also having a pub in the middle (Not a good pub, mind you, but a pub, nonetheless...).
Ha. Less crowded and you can get just a tad closer as well.

I will say that we were able to get to Stonehenge before convoy of tourist buses showed up and found our experience with the other 3 people who were there when we first arrived in stark contrast to our experience when joined by the crowds that were there when we left.

Originally Posted by Delta Hog
And all that new-agey stuff does nothing for me.
How do you know that? Did you try all 435 crystal healing, vortexy places?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: SPG LTPlat ANA Plat
a second to the merlion and also the sphinx in Cairo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.