Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by realjd
The coolest stuff at KSC is on extra-charge tours. Currently you can go walk through launch control, go inside the VAB, get up close to one of the shuttles in one of the OPF hangers, and other behind-the-scenes stuff like that. They also have a tour of CCAFS where many of the historic launchpads were, including a stop at the Apollo I memorial.

We did the historic Cape Canaveral tour back when it was included with normal paid admission. The tour guide was a guy who worked as an engineer at KSC for 30+ years and was now picking up a few shifts in a new role because it was a way for him to have a lot of fun while earning a bit of money for golf greens fees. He also had some great stories about the extreme measures they'd have to take about alligator and snake control on some of the launch pads.

That tour pretty much made the trip for us- so much history, and we got to get up close to it. You get to spend a few minutes in the press gallery at the launch control bunker for the Mercury program, and I loved how the building had just been locked up and left when they moved launch responsibilities to Houston- desks and a lot of equipment was still in place, and the ceiling tiles still had massive tobacco stains from an era when everyone smoked at their desks.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
No one's mentioned Pike Place Market? Cramped, dirty, and full of tourists....I don't get the appeal.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lovely15
No one's mentioned Pike Place Market? Cramped, dirty, and full of tourists....I don't get the appeal.
Eh, I've had several good meals there and I get a kick out of watching the fish get thrown around. Plus, there's a good used bookstore too.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:13 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I'll add the A380 to this list. Waiting for bags after flying in economy-that's one reason.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:10 pm

Have to agree with this one.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
The Imperial Palace, Tokyo - because you don't get to see (and even less visit) the palace. You can only have a look at the moat and fortifications surrounding the site.
Agreed. I was quite disappointed. It didn't help that the weather was very hot on the day we visited, and standing there in the sun listening to the loooooong narrations by the guide talking about uninteresting facts and figures was not pleasant.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
It's been under some renovation the past couple of years. If you are there on a weekend it is a madhouse.

Locals go Monday-Thursday and avoid on the weekend.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
It's been under some renovation the past couple of years. If you are there on a weekend it is a madhouse.

Locals go Monday-Thursday and avoid on the weekend.
I went on a weekday just a few weeks ago. Dunno, guess it's just not my thing.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HangukStyle
The 'Walk of Fame' in Los Angeles is by far the most overrated attraction I've ever been to.
That's actually considered an attraction? No kidding...
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:44 pm

Instead of hijacking this thread, I created a new one. What are the best tourist attractions in the world, big or small? The ones that met or exceeded expectation.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ons-world.html
Old Nov 23, 2012, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by titanikusa
Instead of hijacking this thread, I created a new one. What are the best tourist attractions in the world, big or small? The ones that met or exceeded expectation.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ons-world.html
I think there is already a thread about that.

Edit: This is the one I was thinking of.

Last edited by Schmurrr; Nov 23, 2012 at 8:34 am
Old Nov 23, 2012, 2:05 pm

Seattle Aquarium. It's OK but there are better aquariums out there.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
I'm thinking the great Salt Lake was the biggest letdown, followed by Ruby Falls and not far behind as millennium Park in Chicago
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:18 pm

New Orleans was such a letdown. Downtown was filthy, people were so unfriendly and then there was our hotel clerk suggesting we get back before dark as the county was #1 in murders across the country that year. Won't be back by choice.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
That's actually considered an attraction? No kidding...
Many tourists seem excited to take their photos beside a big star's name. I agree though such a disappointment. The entire "Hollywood" experience in southern California is disappointing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.