Reload this Page >

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: Who cares about your car rental elite status?
Southernmost point marker in Key West. It's a painted barrel on a street corner. And as a geographical attraction, it comes with conditions.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:26 am

Seven Falls near Colorado Springs was very disappointing. Go drive through the Columbia Gorge in Oregon instead. Oregon has much better waterfalls, and you don't have to pay $10/person to see them.

Edit: The Hollywood sign was disappointing, too. I thought it would be bigger. It barely showed up in my photos.

I was more impressed by the Eiffel Tower than I thought I would be. It was beautiful seeing it for the first time at night.

I liked Oahu as well. Waikiki wasn't my favorite beach on the island, but it was fine.

Last edited by Schmurrr; Jul 11, 2012 at 6:15 pm
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by mapleg
Sushi in Japan no better or worse than here? Seriously? Totally disagree with that statement. Heck, department stores in Tokyo sell better sushi than I can find here in Toronto.
If here is Vancouver or Seattle - that's very true.
I find Sushi great in Japan.. but no better or worse than Seattle or Vancouver.. There's magnificent sushi places in all these places..
Toronto - yah it's lacking hahah but so is Toronto as a city.

Originally Posted by isle11
2. Blue Mosque, Istanbul.
Spent good 3 hours in the queue to get in, and inside, its doesnt have anything spectacular, muslims can atleast have a prayer, tourist will be stranded in the middle with everyone wondering why there are soo many inside..!
Sorta agree.. the inside is nothing spectacular.. I waited about 3 mins before entering.. so it must be the timing.. there were no queues to get in when I went.. which definitely helps. 3 hours and i woulda left
The outside is pretty cool though..
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Surfing at the inordinately expensive and downright useless white elephant of an artificial reef at Boscombe, near Bournemouth, in England.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
A 24h boat trip of Bay Halong, Vietnam.
We were supposed to leave harbor at noon, but had to wait two hours for the captain to come back with some passenger's passport from the capitainery.

At 15.00 we stopped to visit a cave with some other thousand tourists, bloody stupid cave, we have plenty of them in my home country.

Then we needed to change boats for some reason, one more hour wasted.

At last around 17.00 we got to see some of the thousand islands, that's why we came for!

We stayed one night at a 4* hotel on Casba island and it took one hour drive in a bus to get there, the only decent thing of that trip was the hotel and the 6 am walk we had along a beautiful walkway cut out in the mountain.

Then an other hour back to a small harbor waiting for our boat, followed by a 1 hour ride back though some of the thousand islands.

When I complained to the official guide we only had two hours of boating through some of the 1000 islands her response was 1184 islands, yeah.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: UAL, Marriott, Skymiles, AAdvantage, trueBlue, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hyatt,Leaders Club, Alaska
The Bridge on the River Kwai in Thailand. Just plain lame

Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SIN1K

That's because the real one was blown up back in the 40's
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: CO, AA, UA
Originally Posted by divemtt
Southernmost point marker in Key West. It's a painted barrel on a street corner. And as a geographical attraction, it comes with conditions.
Agreed...but it was a good place to take a picture. Actually when we went, it had a line to wait for a picture...LOL
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:58 pm

I am surprised that Loch Ness has not been mentioned anywhere here. I drove by it earlier this year (doing a circuit of Scotland) and found it one of the least-charming and least-picturesque lochs in the country.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: UAL, Marriott, Skymiles, AAdvantage, trueBlue, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hyatt,Leaders Club, Alaska
aham

Originally Posted by CMK10
That's because the real one was blown up back in the 40's
Maybe but either way it is a lame trip.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:52 pm

Lord Krishna's Birthplace

Mainly because the public toilet at this attraction will make you sick just walking in!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by emma69
Stonehenge - agree with completely. I was so disappointed!

The Empire State Building - it was, well, just a tall building.

Singapore - it was my first visit to anywhere in Asia and it felt, well, boring!

Can you please explain why?

I am literally planning my first international trip and Singapore's skyline, Gardens by the Bay, and the hotel everyone keeps talking about is intriguing.

Do you think this is overrated? Can you help me understand the pro's and con's?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by factory81
Can you please explain why?

I am literally planning my first international trip and Singapore's skyline, Gardens by the Bay, and the hotel everyone keeps talking about is intriguing.

Do you think this is overrated? Can you help me understand the pro's and con's?
Singapore is a great place to eat and shop, for tourists. The food is incredible and the shopping is top notch, but it is not an exciting Asian destination, especially compared to Hong Kong. If in Singapore, eat at the different hawker centers and drink at the, as well. It will give you a good feel for the local,scene. There are many places to go, shop and drink outlined in all major tourist books. However, English is widely spoken, and the city is well- scrubbed. I enjoy the place, but there is no real Asian feeling there. It is Singapore.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by SIN1K

The bridge isn't that exciting but I think the area around Kanchanaburi offers some fascinating attractions. I highly recommend taking the train to its terminus at Nam Tok to see Hellfire Pass and the memorial there. A very moving experience that gives more of a feel for what prisoners there went through than just seeing the bridge itself.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:16 pm

Booking a round the world trip in J. I think this is where I want to go on this trip. Keep in mind I have an entirely different trip planned to cover Western Europe.

ORD - NRT - KIX - HKG - BKK - HKT (Phuket) - AMM - FCO - ORD.

I wanted to check out Singapore's Gardens by the Bay, but you all have discouraged me from seeing. I still think seeing Phuket and all the rock formations popping out of the water randomly will be cool.

Is this an overrated trip? Is there a better way you would travel on your first international trip?

Alternatively, what do you think of this trip?

ORD - NRT - KIX - HKG - HKT (Phuket) - DXB - HEL (Helsinki) - ORD

I get Dubai instead of Amman, and Helsinki instead of Rome, and no Bangkok.

Last edited by factory81; Jul 22, 2012 at 9:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.