Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most overrated tourist attractions in the world

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: AA PLT, 60K "old miles"
Maui... mainland on the ocean. Most hyped, least interesting of the Hawaiian islands.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Altoid

I must say I was a bit let down by the size of the Mona Lisa. Amazing to see in person but it was like a postage stamp! I pictured it as huge in my mind.
The Mona Lisa isn't really viewable but turn around and there is quite a sight behind you...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: Starwood, Delta, American Airlines, USA, United
Originally Posted by tommyleo
I agree with tommyleo on this one
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:50 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Originally Posted by enda1
I'm going to throw out quite a controversial one here I think, and nominate Japan as a country as being very underwhelming. Maybe you need to be an asianphile or something, but its not so interesting a place. the most shocking thing to me was the Gad-awful architecture and ugly streetscapes.
I kind of agree. I'm an architect and I went to Japan for 2 weeks in April/May 2012. I thought the urban fabric was horrendous. It is so ugly. Ginza was fancy but ultra sterile. City after city from Kagoshima to Hirosaki were just an urban planners nightmare. Admittedly, most cities have been destroyed by earthquakes or WWII bombing and hastily rebuilt. But the zoning laws must be non-existent,
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:57 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Another one. Death Valley. When we were in California in the summer of 2001 my Dad asked me if I wanted to go with him (We were staying in Three Rivers) and I was all excited. Once I get there (after we got out of the car each time the temperature went up) I'm thinking to myself "Is this it?????? Just sand and a visitor center. I would go back again and maybe go back to the lowest point in the US (Didn't have time to stop there) but I wouldn't make a special trip back. I'd rather go to Yosemite which I have yet to get to.
Death Valley is beautiful. The Sonoran/Mojave Desert is just stunning. If you don't like the desert then that explains it. To me the sculpturing of the rocks and canyons by water and wind is just wonderful. Then to have the below sea level hot desert only 10 miles from 11,000ft. Alpine mountains is simply incredible. I'd go back every year if I could.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by x1achilles
Death Valley is beautiful. The Sonoran/Mojave Desert is just stunning. If you don't like the desert then that explains it. To me the sculpturing of the rocks and canyons by water and wind is just wonderful. Then to have the below sea level hot desert only 10 miles from 11,000ft. Alpine mountains is simply incredible. I'd go back every year if I could.
Agree. There is something incredibly special about the Mojave.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:03 pm

Mona Lisa.
After all the long line up and trying to get to the front to see it, I was really disappointed by how small it was.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by LowFlyOver
I visited Walt Disney World as a teenager, but it wasn't until I actually took my kids to WDW and Disneyland that I learned to appreciate these parks most. Disney Parks offer amazing experiences for children. No question.

When the kids are old enough to appreciate it, we'll go to Mt. Rushmore, the Grand Canyon, DC, NYC, London, Sydney, etc. For now, though, Disney is best.
Gotta disagree a lot with this one. I grew up in central Florida and have been to WDW more times than I can count. I enjoyed it more as a teen with my friends than I ever have with children. It's overwhelming and tiring for children and they pretty quickly turn into freaked out, overtired, crying machines. I've been of the opinion for many years that Disney parks are geared more for adults (despite the lack of alcohol).

And you don't have to wait - I was taken to many landmarks as a child. In fact, my love of travel probably comes from the fact that my family traveled on most school breaks when I was a kid. Don't wait for them to "appreciate" it. They'll appreciate it in retrospect as an adult, no matter how many times they ask to just hang out in the hotel pool.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I kind of agree. I'm an architect and I went to Japan for 2 weeks in April/May 2012. I thought the urban fabric was horrendous. It is so ugly. Ginza was fancy but ultra sterile. City after city from Kagoshima to Hirosaki were just an urban planners nightmare. Admittedly, most cities have been destroyed by earthquakes or WWII bombing and hastily rebuilt. But the zoning laws must be non-existent,
I always smile when I watch a documentary on nature in Japan which will inevitably make the statement that the Japanese love and respect nature. Well coming from cities as ugly as they are, no wonder.

Japanese cities look best after sundown..... Actually, I find the urban ugliness part of the appeal in a bizzaro kind of way.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:56 am

Good stuff
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: AClub, SPG, Ritz Rewards, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by enda1
I'm going to throw out quite a controversial one here I think, and nominate Japan as a country as being very underwhelming. Maybe you need to be an asianphile or something, but its not so interesting a place. the most shocking thing to me was the Gad-awful architecture and ugly streetscapes.
So far I would agree, even though I have only been to the Kansai Region/Osaka. I will surely visit Japan again.

What disappointed me wasn't the architecture though but the general way of life. It seems to me that often everything about Japan is idealized. I have never felt as lonely anywhere on a trip as I did in Japan and I would say this wasn't a communication issue but many japanese do too. Emotions are supressed, the group counts not the individual. Everybody behaves exactly like society expects them to. There seems to be a lot of pressure on people. It was kind of depressing.

After a while I was missing "real emotions" even if it's a grumpy clerk

Still a unique (and strange) experience but I certainly wouldn't want to live there and disagree about Japan being the ultimate "fun place" as many anime-fans/japanophiles seem to think.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by lovely15
No one's mentioned Pike Place Market? Cramped, dirty, and full of tourists....I don't get the appeal.
Piroshky Piroshky.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:38 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Are you familiar with the architectural style of Japanese Metabolism then? Was one reason for your visit to check out the variously modern/post-modern structures on display in the cities? I'd actually like to know- I'm not an architect by trade, just quite fascinated with vernacular architecture and the etymology of designs.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ixplore
So far I would agree, even though I have only been to the Kansai Region/Osaka. I will surely visit Japan again.

What disappointed me wasn't the architecture though but the general way of life. It seems to me that often everything about Japan is idealized. I have never felt as lonely anywhere on a trip as I did in Japan and I would say this wasn't a communication issue but many japanese do too. Emotions are supressed, the group counts not the individual. Everybody behaves exactly like society expects them to. There seems to be a lot of pressure on people. It was kind of depressing.

After a while I was missing "real emotions" even if it's a grumpy clerk
More time drinking in izakayas or bars might have helped, or a visit to some working class entertainment establishments. I have had some great times in Osaka.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA-1K
Navy Pier in Chicago

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.