Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Latest version (as of 24-Oct-2021) - available at http://depositfiles.com/files/2c753ofyy.
Print Wikipost

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Aug 22, 2008, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback!

Originally Posted by JanoS-
The problems I have:
1. QA is not in database of your tool.
Unfortunately, I currently don't have any data for QA.

2. If I allow codeshares, then ALL codeshares of these airlines pop-up, while I am interested only in QF codeshares, and to limit even more only the QF codeshares on the 6 airlines that are allowed.
Will think about it. For now, the only way to determine QF codeshares on these airlines using the progam is by showing route maps of these airlines, hovering with the mouse over individual routes and checking if QF is on the list of codeshares operating this route.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 1:33 pm

Wonderful tool! Thanks for the effort. Is there any

way to superimpose the state outlines over the route? Trying to use for GPS it's a little hard to map all the states along the route.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

This is not possible now, but is planned for future.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 3:52 pm

Cool-thanks! I could while away hours with this thing!
Old Sep 4, 2008, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Update available

An update is now available.

The route maps now reflect September 2008.
New airlines have been added (over 600 airlines now).
Several airport locations corrected.
The list of Star Alliance airlines updated.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 9:47 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I just updated to the newest release, and I can't get the map to stay visible. When I load it, the default view is All Airlines, but when I toggle, the graphic of the map goes completely fuzzy. The points and routes are still there, but without the geographic frame of reference, too difficult to use. Anyone else have this problem?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:48 am

the tool is great, and please consider adding a "zoom" capability that does not require a mouse scroll button. I use a notebook (probably like many others on FT) which has not scroll button and although there is a function in the driver to simulate the scroll button, it does not work with the Route Mapper Tool. It would be great if I could just choose a menu item or icon to zoom in/out....

thanks again for your efforts on this...
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cstead
I just updated to the newest release, and I can't get the map to stay visible. When I load it, the default view is All Airlines, but when I toggle, the graphic of the map goes completely fuzzy. The points and routes are still there, but without the geographic frame of reference, too difficult to use.
Did you have the previous version, and did it work properly?
Do I understand correctly that the map appears correctly in the beginning, but then stopped working?
If you slightly drag the map around, does it reappear correctly?
Does the problem remain if you maximize the window?

Originally Posted by lewinr
please consider adding a "zoom" capability that does not require a mouse scroll button
You can zoom by pressing + and - keys on the keyboard.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 12:06 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Did you have the previous version, and did it work properly?
Do I understand correctly that the map appears correctly in the beginning, but then stopped working?
If you slightly drag the map around, does it reappear correctly?
Does the problem remain if you maximize the window?

You can zoom by pressing + and - keys on the keyboard.
I have the previous version and everything looks fine with the default [All Airlines]. As soon as I toggle, the map goes fuzzy, and zooming/dragging does not restore it. Max/min doesn't seem to help either
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cstead
I have the previous version and everything looks fine with the default [All Airlines]. As soon as I toggle, the map goes fuzzy, and zooming/dragging does not restore it. Max/min doesn't seem to help either
So in other words, the problem existed in the old version too?

Can you try changing the window width by a few pixels to see if it helps?

Other than that, you can try updating your graphics drivers, maybe there is some problem with OpenGL on your PC. I never had this problem reported before.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:39 am

Absolutely Excellent Tool

I am using your tool on a daily basis and all i can say is "wow". Have you considered accepting help from others "like me" who would like to contribute to development. It seems it is somewhat of a side project for you so far.

Let me know if there's a way I can help.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 6:25 pm

The text in pop up boxes should be black, as shown on this screenshot.

Do pop up boxes look different on your PC? Or are you talking about something else?
Yeah, the pop-up boxes on my PC have very little contrast, too.
Any way to change the colors?

Otherwise, very useful. Thanks.

-mike-
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA PLT, BD *G
BDA-LGW shows a carrier ZX, which I think should be Zoom but shows up as Air Georgian.

That having been said, Zoom just filed for bankruptcy and ceased operations.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sofianec
Have you considered accepting help from others "like me" who would like to contribute to development.
This is not possible, because some part of the code is shared with a commercial project and thus I am not prepared to release the source code.

Reports of bugs and inaccuracies are welcome.

And I would not be offended in any way if someone develops a better tool using the same or different data

Originally Posted by mgoble
Yeah, the pop-up boxes on my PC have very little contrast, too.
Any way to change the colors?
They should usually have black characters on yellow background. If you cannot read them, it must be some problem. If you use the "Find" command to find an airport, does the "found" marker appear in high contrast, or is it difficult to read as well?

Originally Posted by BDA shorts
BDA-LGW shows a carrier ZX, which I think should be Zoom but shows up as Air Georgian.
Thanks for noticing! I think Zoom was Z4. No idea why ZX appears here and what it stands for, will check for the next data update.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 8:39 pm

They should usually have black characters on yellow background. If you cannot read them, it must be some problem. If you use the "Find" command to find an airport, does the "found" marker appear in high contrast, or is it difficult to read as well?
The box shown via "Find" appears black on a white background.

The pop-up appears white on a yellow background.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.