Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Latest version (as of 24-Oct-2021) - available at http://depositfiles.com/files/2c753ofyy.
Print Wikipost

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL, UA
Handy tool - thanks. I like that it is offline so I don't have to be "connected" to use it.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 4:57 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Really cool! Great work!
Old Nov 24, 2007, 2:49 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Neat tool! ^ In case you're planning an update... the list of OW carriers is also deficient - missing RJ.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the kind words!

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Neat tool! ^ In case you're planning an update... the list of OW carriers is also deficient - missing RJ.
I know this, but I don't have a route map for RJ (yet). Some RJ routes from AMM will show up if you enable codeshares. There are also a few other important route maps missing, notably CI.

A web version may appear at some point in the future, but my priority right now is to get data on more airlines, improve the data accuracy, add a simple planner and maybe also a simple availability checker for RTW planning.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat
^ This is excellent - thank you! ^
Old Nov 24, 2007, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Suggestions or bug reports are welcome.
First off it, it's great in most ways. Thanks!

One specific problem, though: I can't seem to find a way to display American Eagle and American Connection flights (the regional jet arms of AA). I'm don't think they have separate airline code, they're just 3xxx (and maybe also 4xxx?) flight numbers on AA. From LAX, there are a number of Eagle-only AA destinations, such as FAT (Frencso CA) that you don't show. (You show FAT but not with a direct flight to LAX, on AA or otherwise.)

Are you cutting off flight numbers above a certain threshold (to weed out codeshares), and could that number be too low (blocking out regional subsidiaries too)?

Btw, UA also flies nonstop LAX-FAT using a regional subsidiary (in that case again using regular UA flight numbers but this time in the 5xxx range), but again you don't show that.

It's obvious you can't use one flight number cutoff for all airlines, as UA is using 5xxx for its own RJ flights, but AS uses 4xxx for codeshares!
Old Nov 24, 2007, 5:41 pm

Hey thanks, I like it!
Old Nov 24, 2007, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Cool tool - thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2007, 7:11 pm

Very usefull. Thank you very much!
Old Nov 25, 2007, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
One specific problem, though: I can't seem to find a way to display American Eagle and American Connection flights (the regional jet arms of AA).
You should see these flights if you enable codeshares on the toolbar.
Currently, there is no way to distinguish between codeshares with other airlines and regional operations of the same airline though. I hope to have that at some point in the future. The problem is, regionals appear as "codeshares" in most timetable data, but there is no information who operates the codeshare.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:12 am

Mac Emulation

For folks with recent Macs (with Intel processors) - you no longer need to emulate a PC, Macs now use the same processors as wintel machines.

If you only need to run one or two Wintel programs, first try Crossover Mac from Codeweavers. It manages to let you run many Wintel programs without having to buy Windows itself.

If you want to actually run Windows, you can install it with Apple's BootCamp, included in OS X 10.5 (Leopard). That let's you reboot your Mac into Windows. The only cost is a copy of Windows (OEM versions are under $200). We actually have one client who found that an 8-core Mac Pro was the fastest Windows machine they could buy at the price, they use to for a rendering engine.

If you want to run Windows in another window while using your Mac (without rebooting) Parallels and VMWare Fusion both allow that, and each costs about $80. Parallels is more mature, Fusion seems slightly faster (but both are quite fast). Again, you also have to buy Windows itself.

If you are not sure if your Mac has an Intel processor or not, under the Apple menu select "About this Mac" and the processor info will be shown. If it includes the word "Intel" then all the above applies. If it says PowerPC, it may be time for an upgraded Mac!
Old Nov 25, 2007, 2:58 pm

Programs: ac
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
You should see these flights if you enable codeshares on the toolbar.
Currently, there is no way to distinguish between codeshares with other airlines and regional operations of the same airline though. I hope to have that at some point in the future. The problem is, regionals appear as "codeshares" in most timetable data, but there is no information who operates the codeshare.
wow and i thought i wasted a whole day, trying to figure out codes and arguments on the biz / first class deal thread.
Now i have found something very usefull. Thanks!!!!
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
Thanks cockpitvisit, nice app.

It may be just me, but I find the color scheme makes the pop up boxes hard to read. White or light yellow/tan text on an only slightly darker background is very difficult to make out for my eyes.

Maybe a dark blue or otherwise dark font would be helpful?

Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:01 pm

Dude. That's cool as heck. Nice work!
Old Dec 1, 2007, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by omahajim
It may be just me, but I find the color scheme makes the pop up boxes hard to read. White or light yellow/tan text on an only slightly darker background is very difficult to make out for my eyes.
The text in pop up boxes should be black, as shown on this screenshot.

Do pop up boxes look different on your PC? Or are you talking about something else?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.