Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Latest version (as of 24-Oct-2021) - available at http://depositfiles.com/files/2c753ofyy.
Print Wikipost

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL; AA PLT
Originally Posted by downandup

I also see routes for Whyalla Airlines which I think are wrongly ascribed to this airline - a search on the internet tells me that Whyalla was a tiny regional Australian airline that went out of business after being grounded following a crash. Nor do I think that these routes are valid.
Actually, I can't find any airline that flies all these routes, some of those listed for Whyalla do not have any direct flights.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 7:04 am

cockpitvisit,

Would you be interested in making that great app opensource ? It appears there are numerous people interested in such a software, some may have computing experience and could help you improve it, and make it available on other platforms (mac, linux...) !!! For example, I am currently working for a large european aircraft manufacturer on a database that would collect many information regarding airports, airlines, and routes. Your application covers an area where there is very little information available at world's scale...

Please tell me what you think,

Regards,

Guillaume
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by downandup
I too have the same problem viewing data on a route as I get white text on a pale box. View .. Find .. on an airport works well enough, I can clearly read the text.
Thanks, this is very useful information.

I also see routes for Whyalla Airlines which I think are wrongly ascribed to this airline - a search on the internet tells me that Whyalla was a tiny regional Australian airline that went out of business after being grounded following a crash. Nor do I think that these routes are valid.
The airline names for some airline codes are incorrect. "WW" is bmibaby, incorrectly listed as Whyalla.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 5:45 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Very cool app, cockpitvisit!

Once upon a time, I built a Google Earth mapping file of all Delta destinations from their key hubs in the U.S. It doesn't show the lines of the routes, show competing airlines or codeshares on those routes, nor automatically calculate the distance point-to-point (though I guess I could have it calculate that). It is by no means a replacement for what you have produced. It has its own place in an arsenal of FF tools.

But I have not kept my Delta file up to date nor expanded it to any other hubs or airlines. Is your data in a shareable format, and would you be willing to share it? (or parts of it?)
Old Feb 9, 2008, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA1P - Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sc flier
Very cool app, cockpitvisit!

[...] Is your data in a shareable format, and would you be willing to share it? (or parts of it?)
I had a similar question: how do you gather the data? Is it tideous manual work, or do you have a more unified "source" that you are pulling from?

Just curious...
Old Mar 29, 2008, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Update available!

You can get an update from the download page.

The application now has route maps for over 500 airlines. Existing route maps have been updated too and should reflect timetables for April.

Airline routes are now stored in a separate text file rather than being embedded in the program, in case anyone wants to use this information.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:58 pm

Wow, add my thanks to the pile! Glad I stumbled upon this just a few days after your update came out. Love it!
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:07 pm

Does this work on mac?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

It's a Windows app. It will work on a Mac running Windows, but not sure about MacOS.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
You can get an update from the download page.

The application now has route maps for over 500 airlines. Existing route maps have been updated too and should reflect timetables for April.

Airline routes are now stored in a separate text file rather than being embedded in the program, in case anyone wants to use this information.

Which reminds me I have to start drawing the new route maps - by hand!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:34 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Thumbs up

This is an excellent tool, I love it! It's great to be able to check out route maps sorted by airline, alliance, etc. for any location(s) of my choosing. ^

A quick FYI, while Allegiant is included in your map, I did notice that RFD (Chicago Rockford International Airport) is entirely absent. Just wanted to let you know!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steex
A quick FYI, while Allegiant is included in your map, I did notice that RFD (Chicago Rockford International Airport) is entirely absent. Just wanted to let you know!
Thanks for noticing, the missing RFD airport is a data error and will be corrected in the next update.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:29 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Wow, nice application! It works perfectly fine on my MacBook Pro running Windows 2000 or XP on Parallels desktop.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 9:35 pm

I downloaded the application but i keep getting this message before it opens.

Error opening airports.dat
Error opening airlines.dat
Error opening alliances.dat

So I cannot access any of the routes. How do I fix this? Im running Windows XP and all....im just not a big techie so I am a bit confused as to fixing it.....and where can I get this 'emulator' to run the program.

thanks for any help....

Last edited by dubba; Apr 12, 2008 at 9:42 pm
Old Apr 13, 2008, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dubba
I downloaded the application but i keep getting this message before it opens.

Error opening airports.dat
Error opening airlines.dat
Error opening alliances.dat
It looks like you are trying to run the application directly from the ZIP archive without unpacking it.

You should create a new folder and copy all files from the downloaded ZIP file there. After that, start the application from that folder.

and where can I get this 'emulator' to run the program.
An emulator is only needed on computers not running Windows.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.