Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Latest version (as of 24-Oct-2021) - available at http://depositfiles.com/files/2c753ofyy.
Print Wikipost

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Dec 1, 2007, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
How does it differ from this aviation specific program which has been out for years...........?

http://gc.kls2.com/

Last edited by Carioca Canuck; Dec 2, 2007 at 11:58 am
Old Dec 1, 2007, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carioca Canuck
How does it differ from this aviation specfic program which has been out for years...........?

http://gc.kls2.com/
The purpose of my tool is not to plot arbitrary routes like the GC mapper does, but to show you airline route maps (routes actually flown by various airlines).
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
Friday I am flying as follows on United...........YYC-DEN-IAD-GIG.

YYC-DEN is 898 miles on the GC mapper and 899 on yours.
DEN-IAD is 1452 miles on the GC mapper and 1450 on yours.
IAD-GIG is 4791 miles on the GC mapper and 4811 on yours.

A difference of 22 miles on a trip of 7141 miles.....a difference of 00.33 %. The UAL website shows the same numbers as the GC mapper.......so I don't think it's arbitrary at all.

I don't see the point.....or what is different. Sorry.

Last edited by Carioca Canuck; Dec 2, 2007 at 12:42 pm
Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Friday I am flying as follows on United...........YYC-DEN-IAD-GIG.

YYC-DEN is 898 miles on the GC mapper and 899 on yours.
DEN-IAD is 1452 miles on the GC mapper and 1450 on yours.
IAD-GIG is 4791 miles on the GC mapper and 4811 on yours.

A difference of 22 miles on a trip of 7141 miles.....a difference of 00.33 %. The UAL website shows the same numbers as the GC mapper.......so I don't think it's arbitrary at all.

I'm completely baffled by whatever your point is. Sorry.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
The text in pop up boxes should be black, as shown on this screenshot.

Do pop up boxes look different on your PC? Or are you talking about something else?
Here is what I see. Windows XP SP2, Intel 945GM graphics on Toshiba Satellite Centrino Duo processor.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by omahajim
Here is what I see. Windows XP SP2, Intel 945GM graphics on Toshiba Satellite Centrino Duo processor.
Got it, thanks! Very strange, must be an OpenGL issue. Does anyone else have this problem?

Are all text labels for airports readable? The DEN label seems to be missing a shadow, not sure if it is a JPEG artifact or a real problem.

If you use the View|Find menu command to find an airport, then click OK, does the "find result" label show a black text, or is it unreadable as well?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Got it, thanks! Are all text labels for airports readable? The DEN label seems to be missing a shadow, not sure if it is a JPEG artifact or a real problem.

...does the "find result" label show a black text, or is it unreadable as well?
JPEG artifact, the city labels look normal here. All text boxes for all the various features have the same color scheme I showed.

Thanks for looking in to it.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
Very, very nice tool!!!!! Thank you very much!!! ^^
Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Friday I am flying as follows on

This mapper isn't meant to calculate mileage...it shows actual scheduled routes offered by airlines. The Great Circle Mapper gives you a map and mileage based upon city pairs you enter.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Sweet tool, thanks! I noticed that Air Greenland (http://www.airgreenland.com, airline code GL) is conspicuously absent, though. It would be awesome if you add GL in one of your future updates!
Old Dec 8, 2007, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Smile Wow. way cool. Sehr gut!

This is really fun. Are there not any airlines that fly to the Galapogos Islands, or are they just charters? Even if this is a work in progress it is wonderful.

Thank You
Old Dec 8, 2007, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Question The info boxes are hard to read.

The small info boxes that pop up when you hover over a route or airport are in white and the lettering is also in white making them almost impossible to read for me. Is there a way to adjust the color of the background of these boxes?
Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
This is a wonderful tool. Thank you!

I noticed that seasonal flights don't show up. Is this on purpose? For instance, NW goes nonstop to GCM and STT on Saturday's during the winter. I'm sure there are others also. Is there a way to add these myself?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Darien-l
It would be awesome if you add GL in one of your future updates!
I am planning to add Air Greenland in the future.

Originally Posted by x1achilles
Are there not any airlines that fly to the Galapogos Islands, or are they just charters?
AEROGAL and TAME fly to Galapagos from Ecuador. These airlines are not included in the tool (yet).

The small info boxes that pop up when you hover over a route or airport are in white and the lettering is also in white making them almost impossible to read for me. Is there a way to adjust the color of the background of these boxes?
The white lettering is a bug that appears on some systems, it should be black. I hope to fix it in the next update. There is no way to change the color.

Originally Posted by jcherney
I noticed that seasonal flights don't show up. Is this on purpose? For instance, NW goes nonstop to GCM and STT on Saturday's during the winter.
Are you sure? I think the NW routes EWR-GCM and EWR-STT are codeshares operated by CO. When I select NW and enable codeshares in the tool, I get to see them. For most airlines, the tool should have seasonal routes as well.

I'm sure there are others also. Is there a way to add these myself?
Right now it is not possible to add routes yourself. Maybe I'll add this in the future.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Yes. I'm sure. The flight I'm on is NW 1731 DTW-STT (Feb 2 08). It's definately not a codeshare with anyone (as far as I know). And the DTW-GCM is flight 1796 (Mar 22 08) which is a codeshare w/ CO, but it's on NW metal.

I can't speak for the flights out of EWR...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.