Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Latest version (as of 24-Oct-2021) - available at http://depositfiles.com/files/2c753ofyy.
Print Wikipost

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Dec 3, 2008, 5:38 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by caesar04
OP, this is a wonderful tool! However, I just put the latest version (1.2.0.0) on my main box at home (Vista x64, Radeon 4850 with Catalyst 8.10 drivers running at 2560x1600 on a 30" screen) and everything works great until I maximize the application. At that point both the sea and the land becomes white, i.e. disappears, all I see is the green dots with black borders in a sea of white. The routes and tooltips display fine. I tried the disable transparent tooltips option and it makes no difference.

Please PM me if you would like me to help you track this bug down.

Caesar
Hi, I have the same issue. It worked fine until version 1.1.0.0. Since then, I have that problem.

Any way to circumvent it?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 5:41 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
There are two minor bugs in the tool:
  1. Airline "Y4" comes up as "Eagle Aviation" in Mexico. Indeed, African Eagle in Kenya does have the IATA code Y4, but the same code is used in Mexico by Volaris. Maybe there is a way to differentiate between the two?
  2. Same problem with code "P2", which is used by UTair of Russia, AirKenya and Aero Condor of Peru. However, at least the Kenyan flights show up as "UTair"
  3. Not really a bug, but more of an ommission: Iran Air and Kenyan are not included

Other than that, let me say again how much I love this tool. It's very convenient for travel planning and a source of information and inspiration for aviation fans.

Bravo!^^

Last edited by San Gottardo; Dec 3, 2008 at 5:52 am
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by creber
Hi, I have the same issue. It worked fine until version 1.1.0.0. Since then, I have that problem.
This is very strange, maybe your display driver is refusing to display large bitmaps.
Could you please download and try this versison? It should display two smaller map rectangles (and the map may be distorted), but the question is, does the map appear at all?

1. Airline "Y4" comes up as "Eagle Aviation" in Mexico. Indeed, African Eagle in Kenya does have the IATA code Y4, but the same code is used in Mexico by Volaris. Maybe there is a way to differentiate between the two?

2. Same problem with code "P2", which is used by UTair of Russia, AirKenya and Aero Condor of Peru. However, at least the Kenyan flights show up as "UTair"
Most route data comes arranged by airline code, so if several airlines share the same code, you will likely get only one of them (or the other ones will appear with a 3-letter ICAO code). I'll check airline names used (they are all listed in the file airlines.dat). I think UTair now has "UT" as code.

3. Not really a bug, but more of an ommission: Iran Air and Kenyan are not included
These should be present in the next update.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:32 am

Programs: *A Gold, ST Gold; SPG Plat
I posted the report of the original problem. Here is what I see with the test version:
Regular window
the map is a four rectangle checkerboard, I can see all the airports in green with their shadows but the top-left and bottom-right rectangles are white, the top-right and bottom-left rectangles display the sea and land correctly
Maximized window
after maximizing the bottom-left rectangle became white like the top-left and bottom-right one, the top-right rectangle displays just fine, or in other words, three quarters of the screen are white showing only airport names, the top-right quarter displays correctly

Thanks again for this awesome tool!
Old Dec 3, 2008, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Maximized window
after maximizing the bottom-left rectangle became white like the top-left and bottom-right one, the top-right rectangle displays just fine
Thanks, very interesting!

Could you please try this version out?

I added a "bottom left offset" setting to Options, it will shrink the map by the specified amount of pixels. Try setting it to 100 and verify that the (reduced) map appears fine when the window is maximized. If it does, please try finding the lowest "bottom left offset" value that still allows the map to display correctly when maximized.

Note that this setting is not kept in the registry and has to be made every time after starting the program.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Just another bump for this fantastic program.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 5:45 am

Programs: *A Gold, ST Gold; SPG Plat
cockpitvisit,

You're going to like this. The map always displays correctly if the bottom-left offset is anything other than zero, yes even when the offset is 1. What's more, it doesn't matter how large the maximized window is. Whether or not I have the Taskbar auto-hide or Vista Sidebar enabled (both of which affect the maximized window size) the app always goes white maximized (with 0 offset) and always displays correctly when the offset is 1.

Of course, I'm a software engineer so nothing surprises me any more (although I don't do Win32 API work so I can't help you here).

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Caesar
Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:11 am

Great program. Very useful!!
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

The map always displays correctly if the bottom-left offset is anything other than zero, yes even when the offset is 1.
This is good. I'll add a persistent option for this one-pixel offest in the next update. For now, anyone affected by the problem should download the test version, go into Options and set the bottom left offset to 1.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Are you going to update the database soon?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:08 pm

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
Wonderful piece of work. Thanks a lot. And even my local airline UU is featured.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
This is a great tool, thanks! I will use this, for both entertainment and travel planning.

Not to be too demanding, but a few great enhancements would be:

-- Set up an automatic download from OAG (I imagine that you do this anyway) to keep it current. Of course, that would require licenses and fees (I shudder to wonder whether your tool violates any license currently. . . I won't tell anyone. )

-- Make a zoom feature. This may be difficult technically; I don't know. But it would be helpful for some of the small ones, e.g., the amazing domestic route maps of Chinese airlines. (Kind of like the Northwest Airlines magazine, which shows the route maps of all SkyTeam airlines. It's beautiful, but indecipherable, especially China Southern.)

-- Add a feature to display all non-stop flights on all airlines from a selected airport. This should be a snap to do, and would be very valuable for travel planning.

I am not suggesting that there are shortcomings in your tool; just some ideas for the next version. Thanks again!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Are you going to update the database soon?
I hope so.

Originally Posted by mecabq
-- Set up an automatic download from OAG (I imagine that you do this anyway) to keep it current. Of course, that would require licenses and fees
I am not using OAG data (and am not an OAG subscriber). The data is combined from several timetables publicly available on the Internet. Including any kind of automatic download into the tool is not possible because it might overload some servers if many people do it at the same time. Including an ability to get data from a local OAG installation is not possible because it would violate some laws (OAG timetables are no doubt encrypted, and making a tool to circumvent that protection is illegal in many countries - even when the user has a valid OAG license and no intention to distribute the data).

-- Make a zoom feature. This may be difficult technically; I don't know. But it would be helpful for some of the small ones, e.g., the amazing domestic route maps of Chinese airlines. (Kind of like the Northwest Airlines magazine, which shows the route maps of all SkyTeam airlines. It's beautiful, but indecipherable, especially China Southern.)
You can zoom either using the mouse wheel, or plus and minus keys on the keyboard.

-- Add a feature to display all non-stop flights on all airlines from a selected airport. This should be a snap to do, and would be very valuable for travel planning.
If you click on an airport in the map, all direct flights originating from it will be shown in yellow. If you select an airline in the toolbar, only flights of that airline will be shown.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:33 pm

Runs perfectly in Ubuntu with Wine. Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Wonderful, thanks.

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
I hope so.

I am not using OAG data (and am not an OAG subscriber). The data is combined from several timetables publicly available on the Internet. Including any kind of automatic download into the tool is not possible because it might overload some servers if many people do it at the same time. Including an ability to get data from a local OAG installation is not possible because it would violate some laws (OAG timetables are no doubt encrypted, and making a tool to circumvent that protection is illegal in many countries - even when the user has a valid OAG license and no intention to distribute the data).

You can zoom either using the mouse wheel, or plus and minus keys on the keyboard.

If you click on an airport in the map, all direct flights originating from it will be shown in yellow. If you select an airline in the toolbar, only flights of that airline will be shown.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.