ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrDrDr56
ohhh. then why in the heck would it say you're allowed a stopover in NYC?
Copy and paste ... the same rules will be used in hundreds of JL fares. Unfortunately you need to satisfy every rule for the fare to be valid on the sectors.

Anyways, where'd you find that mpm info? I didnt see it on the "rules" given by ITA?
http://www.expertflyer.com/ You can get a free subscription for a few days.

Is there a tool to search the longest MPM on any of the AA Biz class fares?b
Not to my knowledge. The Premium Fare Deals forum (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/) is a good place to find ideas though.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: Olympian, no medals (non-elite status :p )
i have an EF sub. thanks for the heads up on that. got the EF sub so i could check on Award stuff for my 'rents since im now the official travel agent of the family
Have to say i feel like a total idiot on the JL oversight on 30% EQM. i'm literally kicking myself from a room in Tokyo at the moment
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Matrix prices it correctly if it stops in YVR, but I actually want to extend the mileage and stop in NYC rather than YVR (so NRT-JFK-LAX, not NRT-YVR-JFK). however pricing this the price jumps 700 dollars not 100.
What am i doing wrong?
Wouldn't be surprised if the routing exceeds the MPM and you're paying for the excess mileage. But you didn't provide enough data; and did you look at the details of the fare calculation?

BTW I'm willing to bet that Matrix is pricing it correctly on both routings.

Last edited by hillrider; Apr 25, 2015 at 8:24 am
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: Olympian, no medals (non-elite status :p )
calchas was correct above i think with the MPM.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EP, SPG Ambassador (lifetime plat)
I'd greatly appreciate one of your expert guidance.

I'm trying to find trips on EY from BNA to KTM. Looking for specific flights that where EY flies the A380 on one of the 3 legs of the flight. The other two legs can be any aircraft. How do I enter that in matrix ita as advanced booking code?

Last edited by azoomee; Apr 27, 2015 at 1:08 pm
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azoomee
I'd greatly appreciate one of your expert guidance.

I'm trying to find trips on EY from BNA to KTM. Looking for specific flights that where EY flies the A380 on one of the 3 legs of the flight. The other two legs can be any aircraft. How do I enter that in matrix ita as advanced booking code?
Do you know the flight numbers?

I don't believe you can filter by aircraft type.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EP, SPG Ambassador (lifetime plat)
Unfortunately I don't know flight numbers. If you use this code: / aircraft t:388 you can limit to a380 though I don't know how to combine with the other codes to provide ...BNA to KTM. Looking for specific flights that where EY flies the A380 on one of the 3 legs of the flight. The other two legs can be any aircraft.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azoomee
Unfortunately I don't know flight numbers. If you use this code: / aircraft t:388 you can limit to a380 though I don't know how to combine with the other codes to provide ...BNA to KTM. Looking for specific flights that where EY flies the A380 on one of the 3 legs of the flight. The other two legs can be any aircraft.
I didn't know that. ^

Use the multicity search? And give your aircraft specifier only on one leg?

If you don't care which leg, you can do three separate searches.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Looks like ITA made a few changes yesterday, but all I'm getting is "internal server error."
Old May 3, 2015, 10:28 am

ITA AA fare not available at AA

Just wondering.
ITA results shows, ord-dfw-hkg-cgk available at AA in Q @ $846. But, when checking at AA.com, the fare code shows up as "N" @ $995. Any tips on getting the Q fare? Thanks.

ITA
https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#view...OoDAalIraHA00F

http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery/ZZ-Album/Jan_12

Last edited by zznoname; May 3, 2015 at 10:43 am
Old May 3, 2015, 11:11 am

Sort of similar to the last poster I am not getting certain fares on ITA, but I am on Kayak. Looking to go JFK-GIG in business 11/28-12/5.

Kayak returns a fare of $2877 on TAM (mixed-cabin, with longhauls in J and short hauls in Y):

Matrix shows the cheapest "TAM" itinerary at $4885:

Though on closer inspection this is really a mixed JJ/AA itinerary:

Any thoughts on why this would be? Why won't Matrix show the TAM-only itinerary? Is it because Kayak's is mixed cabin?
Old May 3, 2015, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimson12
Sort of similar to the last poster I am not getting certain fares on ITA, but I am on Kayak. Looking to go JFK-GIG in business 11/28-12/5.

Kayak returns a fare of $2877 on TAM (mixed-cabin, with longhauls in J and short hauls in Y):

Matrix shows the cheapest "TAM" itinerary at $4885:

Though on closer inspection this is really a mixed JJ/AA itinerary:

Any thoughts on why this would be? Why won't Matrix show the TAM-only itinerary? Is it because Kayak's is mixed cabin?
Your pictures aren't working

Yes sometimes if you select "Minimum cabin: Business" then ITA will work very hard to avoid putting you in Y. The way around this is to specify the fare booking code (Z is discount business I think) only on the legs you require.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Your pictures aren't working

Yes sometimes if you select "Minimum cabin: Business" then ITA will work very hard to avoid putting you in Y. The way around this is to specify the fare booking code (Z is discount business I think) only on the legs you require.
The pictures show on my computer; odd that they're not working. The bottom line is that Kayak offers me JFK-GRU-SSA-GIG (J/Y/Y) on JJ with a nonstop return for about $2850, and that option doesn't come up in Matrix. Instead Matrix offers various mixed JJ/AA itineraries in the range of $4500-5000.

Obviously I don't much care where I find the best price, but I'm concerned that if there are options that won't come up on Matrix that I may be missing out on some options.

I don't think it will help to specify Z on the "leg that I want," because I think I would put JFK-GIG with /f bc=Z, but I don't necessarily HAVE to fly JFK-GIG. The other day JJ had a decent fare JFK-GRU-GIG, and I wouldn't mind flying that as long as the longhaul was in J. I'm not even opposed to flying LA or even AR, which would entail different connections.

Basically I'm trying to get from JFK to GIG with longhaul in J for ~$2500. AA had a fare around $2300 recently, JJ had one last week, but both expired before I could confirm with my fellow travelers and pull the trigger...
Old May 3, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimson12
I don't think it will help to specify Z on the "leg that I want," because I think I would put JFK-GIG with /f bc=Z, but I don't necessarily HAVE to fly JFK-GIG.
Then leave the routing specifier empty except for /f bc=Z, and you will still find the other routes. ("Leg" was not the right word, I concede.)

"bc" is not actually "booking code" [for some reason], but it refers to the prime code on the fare, so if the Z fare covers Y sectors, those will still be found by /f bc=Z.
Old May 3, 2015, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
Then leave the routing specifier empty except for /f bc=Z, and you will still find the other routes. ("Leg" was not the right word, I concede.)

"bc" is not actually "booking code" [for some reason], but it refers to the prime code on the fare, so if the Z fare covers Y sectors, those will still be found by /f bc=Z.
Still no luck. I get the same TAM flights (~$4500), lose several other options (like AR via EZE, because their discount business code appears to be I), and bring in other options that aren't quite right (because AV uses Z as an economy code apparently).

Oddly, though, I get AR JFK-EZE-GIG when I search for "business class" with no booking code restrictions, with the first leg in J and second in Y, and the reverse on the return. But it won't pull in a similar JJ routing.

Last edited by crimson12; May 3, 2015 at 1:00 pm Reason: added the part in bold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.