ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
ITA now doesn't allow for searches with multiple country origins (eg, MEX, LAX to XXX)? Starting a few months ago, "Journeys with origins in multiple countries are not supported" pops up.
As a couple more months have passed has anyone found a decent workaround for this or an alternative search tool. Having got matrix set up nicely to search the 10-15 EU start points for J class long haul it's really getting my goat having to enter them into google flights separately.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by tinkicker
As a couple more months have passed has anyone found a decent workaround for this or an alternative search tool. Having got matrix set up nicely to search the 10-15 EU start points for J class long haul it's really getting my goat having to enter them into google flights separately.
There is sadly no workaround and there is no free alternative to ITA
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by fuyao
There is sadly no workaround and there is no free alternative to ITA
That's what I thought. I wonder how much it would cost to create a new site with the functionality that ITA had, I can't believe that cross border searching (in the EU at least) is going to go away as a thing people want to do...
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by tinkicker
That's what I thought. I wonder how much it would cost to create a new site with the functionality that ITA had, I can't believe that cross border searching (in the EU at least) is going to go away as a thing people want to do...
ITA has 30 million lines of code, so coding an entire pricing engine will cost you several million $
I know of companies who have built software on top of the already existing systems and for them their software already cost several million $
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:44 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask - however I have been seeing some odd results with ITA Matrix with regards to the UK Air Passenger Duty

Can I get some clarification over how the tax is levied for mixed class bookings?

I understand the "Band" is based on the final destination of a connected ticket - but what about for mixed classes of travel

As an example - a flight from LHR to BKK in business is Standard APD (156 quid), however on ITA an economy flight from LHR to ZRH and then Business to BKK comes up with the discount APD (26 quid)

Apologies if this is a known work-around - or is it an error on ITA?

I have searched for an answer on an answer to mixed class bookings for APD - but come up fruitless.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baggyred
Not sure if this is the right place to ask - however I have been seeing some odd results with ITA Matrix with regards to the UK Air Passenger Duty

Can I get some clarification over how the tax is levied for mixed class bookings?

I understand the "Band" is based on the final destination of a connected ticket - but what about for mixed classes of travel

As an example - a flight from LHR to BKK in business is Standard APD (156 quid), however on ITA an economy flight from LHR to ZRH and then Business to BKK comes up with the discount APD (26 quid)

Apologies if this is a known work-around - or is it an error on ITA?

I have searched for an answer on an answer to mixed class bookings for APD - but come up fruitless.
Assuming the flights are connected, that looks like a bug.
If a passenger travels in more than one class on their journey, the standard rate is due on the whole journey.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/air-pass...ights#tick-inf

Note, the "standard rate" is the higher of the two rates applicable to public air transport (the "reduced rate" applies where the seat pitch is under 40 inches).
baggyred likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Assuming the flights are connected, that looks like a bug.
If a passenger travels in more than one class on their journey, the standard rate is due on the whole journey.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/air-pass...ights#tick-inf

Note, the "standard rate" is the higher of the two rates (the "reduced rate" applies where the seat pitch is under 40 inches).
Cheers - my thinking was it was a bug. Always worth checking
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: British Airways GCH
Hi all, I’m an infrequent poster and a bit slow on the uptake so apologies if this is a stupid question.

A very basic use use of the ITA matrix is giving me a great price for a trip fromOSL- SYD in J onQatar.

When I go to book the flights on the Qatar I don’t get anywhere near the same price. Is the ITA Matrix always accurate? And if it’s accurate do I need to get a TA to book it for me?

hope the above makes sense.

thanks.YF
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
No, it's not always accurate. But it could also be the case that ITA Matrix shows a valid fare that the Qatar website doesn't show (could be the case if it's a more complex routing etc.).
You should try Google Flights (or some other search engine) or BookWithMatrix (or the ITA PowerTools).
Or we could check for you on ExpertFlyer.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:53 am

Thanks for that. I see the same price on google flights as on the ITA matrix. I might give the matrix power booking tool a go.

Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
You should try if you can book it through Google Flights then. Could be that Google Flights has the same glitch as ITA Matrix.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:10 am

Thanks again for your help, google flights does indeed show the same lovely price but when I click the book button the Qatar website says there is an error ( I can find and book those flights direct on the Qatar website but with a higher price).
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:15 am

Most likely it's already sold out on that day. You can try different dates or send me a PM (or post the details here).
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:04 am

Just post a screenshot of the flights + price incl. basefare etc. from ITA here, then we can tell you why its not bookable or if its bookable where to book
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:02 am

I'm sure it's been asked already, but is there advanced routing code language that I can use that would a booking class for one airline while searching for multiple airlines ie:
WAS-MCO, instead of doing 3 separate searches with (AA+ F ~BC=B)(DL+ F ~BC=E) and (UA+ F ~BC=N) is there a script I can use to merge all three of those and do one search?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.