ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

A recent question about BookWithMatrix.com was moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Trying to book a flight with 2 stops, first leg shortest possible connection (ideally less than 1 hour), second leg longest possible connection (ideally 20+hours). Is it possible to delineate which stop you want to be long and which stop you want to be short? If I use MINCONNECT it applies to both stops...

Thank you
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:59 pm

Are there any airlines that publish basic economy fares separately from economy fares? ( In a way that ITA can see it)
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Andrew Kolodgie
Are there any airlines that publish basic economy fares separately from economy fares? ( In a way that ITA can see it)
ITA can "see" any published fare, but Basic Economy is not classified as a group in any useful way. You can't demand to search only BE or exclude all BE. So BE fares will continue to pollute your ITA search results for now. Comparisons are rendered much less useful as some of the "cheapest available" fares can be BE and others regular Economy. However, I have not found any clean way around it. We have to know which airlines offer BE, what the fare codes are, and of course repeat the search more narrowly more often than we previously had to.

Last edited by aktchi; Jun 24, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:33 pm

I'm looking for Pegasus Airline flights ZRH-SAW, roundtrip early August. ItA gives fares for 189 CHF roundtrip, Economy class G. But I can't find anywhere I can book that fare rate. The same flights on pegasus own website is over 500 CHF. Any help where to find it? Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: LO
I'm playing with ITA and I have a question - for example Expedia/Hotwire shows WAW-LAS RT by OS E but ITA only to LAS, return only via AC. Why?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:19 am

Anyone having the issue that sometimes only non-stop flights are returned, even though there are obviously many flights with connections available? And obviously I didn't select it.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Anyone having the issue that sometimes only non-stop flights are returned, even though there are obviously many flights with connections available? And obviously I didn't select it.
As always, the narrower you make your search, the closer the search results will be to being comprehensive within your search parameters. Anything that's more complex than the simplest searches always runs the risk that you won't be shown every possible permutation; there are often just too many to be manageable.

So if you want to see what is available other than non-stops, exclude non-stops.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
As always, the narrower you make your search, the closer the search results will be to being comprehensive within your search parameters. Anything that's more complex than the simplest searches always runs the risk that you won't be shown every possible permutation; there are often just too many to be manageable.

So if you want to see what is available other than non-stops, exclude non-stops.
No, the issue is that it only shows non-stops. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
It sucks how Google is purposefully making itamatrix unuseable.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, the issue is that it only shows non-stops.
Even when you explicitly tell it not to? I've not seen that.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Even when you explicitly tell it not to? I've not seen that.
No. I didn't put in any parameters. But it only shows the non-stop. Or may tell me no flight exists. When connecting flights obviously do.

Why should I have to do everything step by step? That is the whole point of a search engine. If I have to tweak every little parameter every search, it is basically like searching award flights on Singapore Airline's website.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. I didn't put in any parameters. But it only shows the non-stop. Or may tell me no flight exists. When connecting flights obviously do.

Why should I have to do everything step by step? That is the whole point of a search engine. If I have to tweak every little parameter every search, it is basically like searching award flights on Singapore Airline's website.
Flight searches are enormously computationally intensive (formally the problem is undecidable). You don’t have to do every step, but you do need to be a bit more explicit in your searches.

I’d say the power to constrain the search so precisely is the main feature of ITA Matrix, not its drawback.

This is a free service remember.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why should I have to do everything step by step?
Because the volume of search results is otherwise unmanageable - simple search queries quickly produce many millions of potential routing results, each of which would then has to be fared for display. ITA has always, at heart, been an exercise in trying how best to manage the unmanageable, while allowing the user to specify some very specific parameters to help ITA produce results that are exactly tailored to the individual's needs.

If you don't want to put the effort in to learning how to use ITA to your advantage, you can always try some dumbed-down search engine instead. Google Flights, for example.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Shangri-la Gold, Taj Gold, Krisflyer Gold, BA Gold
new to ITA Matrix

Guys.. did a lot of googling but couldnt find the info

i am looking to fly from LHR-CPT - and i want to fly ONLY on say EK or BA or CX

Then what would be the coding?
Would it be AIRLINES EK BA CX under the outbound code?

Also say i want only Y B H fares on the above 3 airlines? then how do i go about it
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The first of these will return only non-stops between LHR and CPT, so specifying CX and EK will do nothing. The second will return connecting itineraries. However, you will still get nothing back on CX with this because as far as I can see it's a minimum two-stop itinerary on CX, so you would also have to change the "Extra stops" selection to allow 2 extra stops (or more) - plus because CX is such an outlier compared to BA and EK, you actually probably won't get any CX results unless you specify it as the only airline of these three (ie just CX+).

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 8:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.