ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 1:33 pm

It's annoying but I can live with it, so long as they don't do the same on Google Flights.
Old May 3, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
There are all sorts of possible reasons why ITA might have decided to do this; I can't even begin to hazard a guess as to what they were. But one thing I can express is a hope: if complexity is reduced, then maybe the search results that are returned will become more accurate. IME, there have been increasing (reproducible) instances of things not being quite right in search results. Experience of using ITA has taught me when to ignore the glitches and press on to get an accurate final result, but there is the potential for this to improve search results.
I do hope this change make future searches more concise and load faster. Currently, I always define the fare basis when I search between point A to B - dates and cities alone don't seem to return the best results.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
It's annoying but I can live with it, so long as they don't do the same on Google Flights.
All well and good except the links to actually book never work with Google flights, or at least on more complex itineraries. ITA power tools and bookwithmatrix were *much* more reliable in their handover.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
All well and good except the links to actually book never work with Google flights, or at least on more complex itineraries. ITA power tools and bookwithmatrix were *much* more reliable in their handover.
Would it help if you use GF for mult-city search and copy the itinerary you want onto ITA? It always work for me that way.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
Would it help if you use GF for mult-city search and copy the itinerary you want onto ITA? It always work for me that way.
Having tested this GF was consistently telling me LOWER than ITA, just couldn’t book the damn ticket!
Old May 3, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
It would be nice if they could at least allow the "nearby airports" option to be restricted to the same country.
Then at least you'd only have to repeat this for one airport in every country you're interested in.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Has Alex Cruz taken over and this is one of his 'enhancements' ??
This is a total disaster.
Why has this been done ?
Pressure from airlines to prevent people from finding the best deals ??

Utter disaster and pretty much the best feature of ITA :-(
No need for Alex Cruz to get involved at all - this is Google, and they're very good at "enhancing" their products all by themselves. Maps has gone to s**t, news has gone to s**t, finance has gone completely - it's no surprise to me that they've made another of their products less useful than it was.

One by one, Google seem to be systematically destroying their once great products.

The big downside to this one is that there isn't a competitor out there for us to use instead
JC880 likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by charlie1105
No need for Alex Cruz to get involved at all - this is Google, and they're very good at "enhancing" their products all by themselves. Maps has gone to s**t, news has gone to s**t, finance has gone completely - it's no surprise to me that they've made another of their products less useful than it was.

One by one, Google seem to be systematically destroying their once great products.

The big downside to this one is that there isn't a competitor out there for us to use instead
I am turning to Microsoft except still using Google search.

Microsoft is becoming better and open source friendly since about 2013.

Google is an ad company that it destroys products which people uses but isn't ad-useful, but Microsoft is a real tech company where they can earn $$$ by offering great products.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by miklcct
I am turning to Microsoft except still using Google search.

Microsoft is becoming better and open source friendly since about 2013.

Google is an ad company that it destroys products which people uses but isn't ad-useful, but Microsoft is a real tech company where they can earn $$$ by offering great products.
I have found google search less and less useful over time (over the last 2 - 3 years). I have started using both Bing search and dogpile search. Both seem to return more (and possibly more accurate) results.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: Etihad Plat, A3*G, HHonors DIA, GHA Plat
This is bad... I've been getting the same error lately and thought it'll go after a couple of days. Apparently not!

This "enhancement" is particularly making quick open jaw searches impossible. Especially in Europe there are a ton of combination possibilities, and it was certainly possible to get faily accurate results in the past when restricting results to certain airlines or fare classes but therefor being able to look at a lot of country combinations at once. Not anymore

The really annoying thing is - there's absolutely nothing that could be considered an alternative.
Old May 5, 2018, 11:20 pm

I actually relied on this origin open jaw across countries to find a discounted economy ticket to Europe two weeks before Easter when nearly all tickets were sold out from my nearest airport.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Not likely, given that all of the information is still there, and it simply takes a little more effort to get it.

"Total disaster"? That must be from the school of hyperbole! Anyone who's prepared to do a bit of legwork will still see what's on offer. And it might even be more accurate now than it has been.
Err..... a LOT more effort.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
It would be tremendously useful if the “nearby airports” button at least worked for airports from the same country.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:01 pm

It seems that ITA matrix has some issue in currency handling when making the fare construction:

When I use a pricing currency different from the sale and origin, the ROE field in the fare construction is specified in the currency in the origin but not the pricing currency, but various fees and taxes are shown as the pricing currency.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:49 am

The ITA "enhancement" seems to have been fixed. Anyone else seeing this? Good news if it has!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.