ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Originally Posted by B0gdan
Hey FTers,

Sorry if this is a bit off topic...
Hello @B0gdan,

I moved your question to the relevant thread.

TWA884
Travel Tools moderator
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Hi FTers,

I know this is a bit of a stretch as the fare is low anyway, but I'm looking to see if there's any way to add a leg to SFO before the one to IAD. When I'm trying it's jumping up 3x, 4x the price. Is there anything I'm doing wrong or is it just not possible?
If not, any way to trim the price a bit further?
https://imgur.com/a/lTPSw
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I take it ITA Matrix isn't 'live'?

I've just checked a fare on BA and it's EUR 200.00 lower than ITA Flight Matrix shows.

How reliable is it?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Sealink

I've just checked a fare on BA and it's EUR 200.00 lower than ITA Flight Matrix shows.

How reliable is it?
Usually, extremely reliable. But there are some quirks, including these:-
  1. POS selection on ITA isn't 100% reliable. So ba.com may see inventory that ITA can't see (or vice versa) because the availability shown by ITA isn't the actual to the market whose availability ought to be being shown. This unreliability includes manual selection of the POS city - it doesn't always work.
  2. I think that ITA can see BA DIFs on some routes, but not on others. I don't know why this is, but my surmise is that some DIFs are still coded as private fares but others are coded as public fares. Obviously, ITA has a better chance of returning the latter. On my most common routes, I think that HKG DIFs aren't seen by ITA but JNB DIFs are. So this could account for what you've seen.
  3. ITA fare quotes include BA's GDS fee. That's £8 or USD 10 per fare component, or a similar sum in other currencies. This means that ITA quotes are now reliably higher than ba.com quotes, but if you allow for this fee the match is normally exact. That won't account for (or for all of) that €200 difference, though.
  4. ITA caching could give duff results. But I have only very very rarely seen this myself.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: BA GGL
Also, if your ITA search is too vague, it'll time out and only return the results it found in the time it was searching. More precise searches can result in lower fares.
cheltzel likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sealink

How reliable is it?
I find it is often more reliable than the airlines are for their own products
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by B0gdan
Hey FTers,

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I'm trying to see if there's anyway to get a higher booking class for flights on the dates in the screenshot, eventually some classes that can be upgraded via Miles&More. I can be flexible on the airlines and dates, just want to make sure I can maximize earning/benefits on this route before buying.
https://imgur.com/a/06X8J
Yes, just look up which fare class you want each segment to price in (K, L, S, Y,...) and then add it as an advanced routing code on ITA with /f bc=Y bc=K .....
If that is too complicated consult a travel agent, its their job to price you the exact fare class you wish to book
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fuyao
Yes, just look up which fare class you want each segment to price in (K, L, S, Y,...) and then add it as an advanced routing code on ITA with /f bc=Y bc=K .....
If that is too complicated consult a travel agent, its their job to price you the exact fare class you wish to book
Note that "fc=" specifies the prime booking code of the covering fare, not the desired booking class of the segment.

e.g., fc=F will give results for fares with prime code F, but may still result in sectors booked into Y
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:10 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC

Please help
This ticket has come up for a few days on ITA Matrix but I can't find it on any booking site. Any ideas?
My only guess is it must be booked from a certain country?

[REMOVED PHOTO]

Last edited by caGALINDO; Mar 12, 2018 at 12:28 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:26 am

Did you try to use FareFreaks to create deeplinks?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
This ticket has come up for a few days on ITA Matrix but I can't find it on any booking site. Any ideas?
A quick play on EF suggests it could be a married sector problem. Using a UK POS, it's W9 if you ask for IST-DOH and it's W9 if you ask for IST-CNX; but W0 on both flights if you ask for IST-CNX.

POS could be an issue as well, but I can't test that.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:29 am

Thank you Globaliser, does seem to be an issue with married-segment logic.

EDIT: See below

Last edited by caGALINDO; Mar 12, 2018 at 11:59 am
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by caGALINDO

Please help
My only guess is it must be booked from a certain country?

You can purchase this ticket, not surprisingly, at qatarairways.com.

Use multi-city search: first flight IST-DOH on 7/19 and second flight DOH-CNX also on 7/19.

From search results, select flights QR240 and QR922 respectively.

Hit Continue, etc.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:04 pm

aktchi you're right, it just wasn't showing up direct to CNX. I was playing around further with this & also found it bookable another way.

ITA Matrix Powertools > Click through to Kayak > Click through to Qatar website
Future reference for anyone else.

Thanks

EDIT: Seems fare still isn't bookable, after entering passenger information on Qatar site it throws an error.
- We are unable to confirm the fare for the flights you have selected. Please choose a different fare or flights and resubmit your request. (15012 - 421)

EDIT 2: There seems to be a lot of throwaway ticket deals from Europe > Asia (CNX - Final dest.) > Random City on Qatar. I found one that I could actually book for $280 with a "stopover" in CNX then continue to Yerevan. Just to CNX it's pricing at $500+

Last edited by caGALINDO; Mar 12, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hyatt Gold; Hertz Gold
I'm looking to book a set of flights YVR-AKL-BNE-YVR-BWI-YVR. I'd like to stay on *A but it doesn't have to be a specific airline. Is there a way to specify the YVR-AKL and BNE-YVR flights to be in premium economy, but the remainder can be in Y? I don't think I can specify fare classes since PE may be different classes depending on the airline. Is there a +CABIN code for PE?

Last edited by silver_halide; Mar 15, 2018 at 11:18 pm Reason: Wrong code for Auckland

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.