ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: Concorde Connoisseur, ua 1mm
Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
You can send feedback to Google using the "Send feedback" link at the top-right corner of the page. It lets you send Google suggestions about their products. They welcome problem reports, feature ideas and general comments. Start by writing a brief description, next they'll let you identify areas of the page related to your description.
LOL So far the theory, but have you actually done that ?
I tried about 10 times yesterday and this morning.
All I get, each single time, is this:

Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:09 am

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this yet.

What happened to the search for nearby airports within up to 2000 miles? This was probably the best feature! Now ITA matrix is almost pointless to me.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTJ
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this yet.

What happened to the search for nearby airports within up to 2000 miles? This was probably the best feature! Now ITA matrix is almost pointless to me.
Read the thread again.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
I'm very, very disappointed by this. I used to love searching the "Nearby" > 2000 miles. It's helped me find so many throwaway tickets too. Sigh. Major, major downgrade. I have noticed though that Google Flights allows by 'area', but it's not the same.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA CO DL
Matrix 3.0

The 3.0 is useless, less than useless, frustrating. Ruined for profit.
Innovation at Google is dead, not slowing, DEAD.

Are you reading this Google???....or too busy playing ping pong at the Googleplex??
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airboss
The 3.0 is useless, less than useless, frustrating. Ruined for profit.
Innovation at Google is dead, not slowing, DEAD.

Are you reading this Google???....or too busy playing ping pong at the Googleplex??
Agreed. Tried using the Send Feedback button & it doesn't even work!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I just tried to use the new Matrix and is it buggy!!

None of the sorting/filtering on the results works. The cost/mile disappeared.

I hope this stuff gets fixed quickly.
When you get the table of results, press Shift and click on the "Price" column header - cost/mile will return
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:20 pm

Is the airport autofill not working for anyone else, for example if I start typing Chi it should drop down and allow me to select an airport. Now I have to manually type in the airport code. Not sure if this is a bug or a "feature." Its pretty obvious though that they are trying to push everyone to google flights.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Same thing for WAS ... need to enter "washington".

As for the issue with ports within x miles - perhaps one could set up manual text file lists which can be copied and pasted into the fields. (e.g. "LAX, ONT, SFO, LAS, SJC ...")
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, FB PM, Gamer/Trickster.
My god, they completely gutted the nearby airports feature! And I have gotten nothing but "unknown internal error"s.

For those of us who have worked for, or worked with Google in the past, this should come as no surprise. The place is now run almost entirely by marketing/BD bros. The nerdy function-focused Google is a thing of the past, sadly.............

Last edited by flargley; Dec 17, 2014 at 6:07 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
I sent feedback which I imagine will fall on deaf ears. Searches that I was just doing a couple days ago are completely impossible. It was buggy before, but I'd prefer Exceeded Boombox a thousand times over to not being able to find flights. This is what always made me mad about Microsoft. They dumb down a product so much to the point where it is useless for a competent individual. I wish Google hadn't bought ITA. I believe there is a trend in the airline industry to keep software at an 80s level so nobody can find out when there are better deals, and it looks like Google wants to be a cog in that. Honestly, this kind of anti-innovation makes me think Google won't even be on people's minds a decade from now. As someone in Google's field, I'm glad I don't work for them because I wouldn't want to defend this trash.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MOC991
I sent feedback which I imagine will fall on deaf ears. Searches that I was just doing a couple days ago are completely impossible. It was buggy before, but I'd prefer Exceeded Boombox a thousand times over to not being able to find flights. This is what always made me mad about Microsoft. They dumb down a product so much to the point where it is useless for a competent individual. I wish Google hadn't bought ITA. I believe there is a trend in the airline industry to keep software at an 80s level so nobody can find out when there are better deals, and it looks like Google wants to be a cog in that. Honestly, this kind of anti-innovation makes me think Google won't even be on people's minds a decade from now. As someone in Google's field, I'm glad I don't work for them because I wouldn't want to defend this trash.
It's a free tool and you get what you pay for.

There is I think a big gaping hole in the market for something like an ExpertFlyer for fare construction. I would certainly pay a subscription fee for access to an unencumbered ITA Matrix.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:11 am

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Originally Posted by Calchas
It's a free tool and you get what you pay for.

There is I think a big gaping hole in the market for something like an ExpertFlyer for fare construction. I would certainly pay a subscription fee for access to an unencumbered ITA Matrix.
Actually that ponders me for a second. If you had the option to pay a subscription fee, how high would you be willing to pay? Or the alternative is a pay as you go (eg. 1 credit per query).

One other suggested option by someone is to use advertising.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Server
Actually that ponders me for a second. If you had the option to pay a subscription fee, how high would you be willing to pay? Or the alternative is a pay as you go (eg. 1 credit per query).

One other suggested option by someone is to use advertising.
I don't want to show my hand but the EF fee has always struck me as very reasonable.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by nsummy
Is the airport autofill not working for anyone else, for example if I start typing Chi it should drop down and allow me to select an airport. Now I have to manually type in the airport code. Not sure if this is a bug or a "feature." Its pretty obvious though that they are trying to push everyone to google flights.
It is all kinds of wonky on IE for me. I usually know the airport codes I'm typing in, but the new 3.0 thinks it knows better than I do.

Putting in LIH usually brings up Lisbon, Lima, and Little Rock before Lihue.
Putting in DAC usually brings up Dallas Love Field or a whole host of other DAx airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.