ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:25 pm

It's not cached, it's timeout.
Searches will automatically timeout after 60 seconds, displaying only the results that have been found during that time.
The broader the search, the less accurate.
This is why a monthly search will usually return less results than a +/- 3 days search, or even a day search.

It is true that if you use advanced routing codes in a monthly search, you'll get more accurate results.

If you already know what airlines operate the route you're searching, try limiting your search to those airlines/alliances. It can help sometimes.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 4:28 pm

My calendar fare searches never last 60 seconds, and I have not seen the "not necessarily cheapest fares" problem claimed above.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sabasi
My calendar fare searches never last 60 seconds, and I have not seen the "not necessarily cheapest fares" problem claimed above.
What is your typical search though?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:18 pm

International complex itineraries.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sabasi
International complex itineraries.
I think that's quite a broad ambit.

When I am looking around for fare sales, I might use lots of combinations of starting and ending cities (say more than thirty each of origins and termini). This noticeably slows down on the calendar search, even with a tight routing specification.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
There is definitely some caching issue with ITA... i am getting results that yield same fares (specified route and airlines), however when I go to airline website for booking, the fares are varying greatly.

Not trustworthy at all.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
There is definitely some caching issue with ITA... i am getting results that yield same fares (specified route and airlines), however when I go to airline website for booking, the fares are varying greatly.

Not trustworthy at all.
It might be ITA. But it may also be a point of sale issue. Also, the airlines websites can be giving wrong information.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: DL PM, FB PM, Gamer/Trickster.
Matrix has become absolutely useless for me, as all I ever want to search for is /alliance skyteam, and all that ever happens is the "unknown error" message. I've tried now on 3 different computers, using 3 different browsers on each laptop, and it continutes to screw up.

edit: Wow, now when clicking on flights (e.g. aug1-aug15) displayed within the calendar, the dates of the fares pulled come out incorrectly! For instance, in this picture, all the fares should be august 1-15. Instead, when you click on them some are aug1-aug13, some are aug1-aug17, etc etc.

THIS IS EXCRUCIATING; THE PRODUCT HAS BECOME USELESS. FIX IT, GOOGLE BROGRAMMERS.

(I guarantee that some Product Manager at Google has promulgated an intentional strategy of killing matrix to drive people to Google Flights. Ugh)

Last edited by flargley; Feb 22, 2015 at 10:21 am
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold
shortest flying times for a vacation trip

I want to use the matrix to find the shortest travel time way to get from MCI to CMB on award tickets. I will redeem AA miles and need to fly on oneworld airlines. I'd like to fly CX one direction, JL the other on the TPAC portions. Because it is an Asia 2 award destination I have to fly over the Pacific; I cannot go eastbound through Europe or Middle East cities.

What sort of code do I put in the advanced search line to get me the possible combinations of flights I can use for my vacation trip?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by susiesan
I want to use the matrix to find the shortest travel time way to get from MCI to CMB on award tickets. I will redeem AA miles and need to fly on oneworld airlines. I'd like to fly CX one direction, JL the other on the TPAC portions. Because it is an Asia 2 award destination I have to fly over the Pacific; I cannot go eastbound through Europe or Middle East cities.

What sort of code do I put in the advanced search line to get me the possible combinations of flights I can use for my vacation trip?
First of all: I have no experience in booking AA-Awards and this might be the wrong thread for your question.

You first need to know which airports get served by JL and CX.. You will find it here: http://onw.fltmaps.com/en

Allready did this for you and here is something to start with:

Outbound
Code:
MCI::f+ BOS,EWR,JFK,LAX,ORD,SFO,YVR,YYZ CX1-7000 HKG f+ / alliance oneworld; f bc=Y|bc=C|bc=F
Inbound
Code:
CMB::f+ nrt,hnd,kix JL1-7000 BOS,JFK,LAX,ORD,SAN,SFO,YVR f+ / alliance oneworld; f bc=Y|bc=C|bc=F
Maybe you want to define the minconnect and maxconnect.. since 50min to change the plane might be stressfull. You may also want to exchange the f+ with AA,US+ for the domestic US and maybe to exchange the asia ones too.

The next step would be: Check AA for availability on the pacific flights on your desired dates. Matrix can't tell you the award-availability.
Replace the CX1-7000 & JL1-7000 with your possible flights and move on. Build your trip by checking availability and narrowing your search for each flight.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Steppo
First of all: I have no experience in booking AA-Awards and this might be the wrong thread for your question.

You first need to know which airports get served by JL and CX.. You will find it here: http://onw.fltmaps.com/en

Allready did this for you and here is something to start with:

Outbound
Code:
MCI::f+ BOS,EWR,JFK,LAX,ORD,SFO,YVR,YYZ CX1-7000 HKG f+ / alliance oneworld; f bc=Y|bc=C|bc=F
Inbound
Code:
CMB::f+ nrt,hnd,kix JL1-7000 BOS,JFK,LAX,ORD,SAN,SFO,YVR f+ / alliance oneworld; f bc=Y|bc=C|bc=F
Maybe you want to define the minconnect and maxconnect.. since 50min to change the plane might be stressfull. You may also want to exchange the f+ with AA,US+ for the domestic US and maybe to exchange the asia ones too.

The next step would be: Check AA for availability on the pacific flights on your desired dates. Matrix can't tell you the award-availability.
Replace the CX1-7000 & JL1-7000 with your possible flights and move on. Build your trip by checking availability and narrowing your search for each flight.
I tried the first code for the outbound with a modification, took out the CMB:: No flights on JL come up. I know they exist. Also no connections through LAX or SFO come up. I had this working before with another code
someone gave me
N+ ORD,SFO,LAX,NYC,YVR CX HKG N+ / alliance oneworld

But I have not been able to get the web site to work for me again. I did get results that included JL flights once but I don't remember how I got the JL flights to show up. I have been using the oneworld site to search but it never shows all the alternatives. I have also been going back and forth between all the different airline web sites and schedules to build my trip. It would be nice if I could see the results in one place with the hours and minutes totaled up.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried the first code for the outbound with a modification, took out the CMB:: No flights on JL come up. I know they exist. Also no connections through LAX or SFO come up. I had this working before with another code
someone gave me
N+ ORD,SFO,LAX,NYC,YVR CX HKG N+ / alliance oneworld

But I have not been able to get the web site to work for me again. I did get results that included JL flights once but I don't remember how I got the JL flights to show up. I have been using the oneworld site to search but it never shows all the alternatives. I have also been going back and forth between all the different airline web sites and schedules to build my trip. It would be nice if I could see the results in one place with the hours and minutes totaled up.
Without the CMB :: prefix the FROM box is not valid.

Do you mean you put f+ nrt,hnd,kix JL1-7000 BOS,JFK,LAX,ORD,SAN,SFO,YVR f+ / alliance oneworld; f bc=Y|bc=C|bc=F in the routing code box?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Without the CMB :: prefix the FROM box is not valid.

Do you mean you put f+ nrt,hnd,kix JL1-7000 BOS,JFK,LAX,ORD,SAN,SFO,YVR f+ / alliance oneworld; f bc=Y|bc=C|bc=F in the routing code box?
I meant to say I took out MCI::

I put MCI in the departing from box and CMB in the destination box.

When I put the code you gave me in the advanced routing line I get this message:

QPX warning. Bad route specification.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I meant to say I took out MCI::

I put MCI in the departing from box and CMB in the destination box.

When I put the code you gave me in the advanced routing line I get this message:

QPX warning. Bad route specification.
The double colon means "routing information follows". Either put the whole string in the from box, or you can put MCI in the from box and then the stuff after the double colon (not including the colons) in the advance routing box.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
This code found me some routes I had not discovered on my own on JL flights:
CMB-BKK-NRT-SAN-DFW-MCI with 29h48m travel time
CMB-BKK-NRT-LAX-DFW-MCI with 29h48m travel time
CMB-HKG-KIX-LAX-DFW-MCI with 30h43m travel time

The ideal pathway home would be
CMB-HKG-ORD-MCI 27h36m travel time on CX flights. If I cannot get award seats on those flights I'll go for the JL ones.

Thanks Calchas for your assistance using ITA Matrix. Another FT'er comes through with an answer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.