ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:08 am
Company Representative

To see price per mile, go to the Price filter on the results page and check the "Show price per mile" checkbox.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: United, Southwest, Frontier, Chase UR, Hyatt
Problem replicating ITA price to emirates.com

I am trying to book the following ticket but am not seeing the same pricing on the emirates website. What am I doing wrong here?

San Francisco (SFO) to Dubai (DXB) — Fri, Jun 26
Overnight flight
Emirates 226
Dep: 4:45 pm
Arr: 7:25 pm
15h 40m
Airbus A380
Economy (L)
Meal
Sat, Jun 27

Dubai (DXB) to Dammam (DMM) — Tue, Jul 7
Emirates 821
Dep: 9:45 pm
Arr: 10:05 pm
1h 20m
Airbus A330
Economy (L)
Meal
Jeddah (JED) to San Francisco (SFO) — Sun, Jul 19
Overnight flightLong layover

Jeddah (JED) to Dubai (DXB) — Sun, Jul 19
Emirates 806
Dep: 10:50 am
Arr: 2:30 pm
2h 40m
Airbus A380
Economy (L)
Meal
Layover in DXB
17h 50m

Dubai (DXB) to San Francisco (SFO) — Mon, Jul 20
Emirates 225
Dep: 8:20 am
Arr: 1:10 pm
15h 50m
Airbus A380
Economy (L)
Meal
Mileage
17,583 total miles
Airport Information
San Francisco International (SFO)
Dubai International (DXB)
Dammam King Fahd International (DMM)
Jeddah King Abdulaziz International (JED)
Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees)
$1,586.90
Total cost for 1 passenger
$1,586.90

Fare for 1 adult
Fare 1: Carrier EK LZWSPUS1 SFO to DMM (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code L
Covers SFO-DXB (Economy), DXB-DMM (Economy)
$477.00
Fare 2: Carrier EK LZXSPUS1 JED to SFO (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code L
Covers JED-DXB (Economy), DXB-SFO (Economy)
$414.50
United Arab Emirates ZR (ZR)
$2.80
EK YQ surcharge (YQ)
$594.00
US International Departure Tax (US)
$17.70
US September 11th Security Fee (AY)
$5.60
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF)
$4.50
United Arab Emirates Passenger Service Charge (AE)
$20.40
United Arab Emirates Security and Safety Fee (TP)
$1.40
USDA APHIS Fee (XA)
$5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY)
$7.00
US Customs Fee (YC)
$5.50
US International Arrival Tax (US)
$17.70
Saudi Arabia UR (UR)
$13.30
Subtotal per passenger
$1,586.90
Number of passengers
x1
Subtotal For 1 adult
$1,586.90
This ticket is non-refundable.
Changes to this ticket will incur a penalty fee.
Fare Construction (can be useful to travel agents)
SFO EK DXB EK DMM 477.00LZWSPUS1 /-JED EK X/DXB EK SFO 414.50LZXSPUS1 NUC 891.50 END ROE 1.00 XT 5.50YC 7.00XY 5.00XA 35.40US 5.60AY 20.40AE 1.40TP 2.80ZR 13.30UR 594.00YQ 4.50XF SFO4.50
Total Airfare & Taxes
$1,586.90
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:47 pm

I called Emirates and they said that in my last leg JED-DXB-SFO there is no L class tickets available.
Is there some other site I can get this from?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
ITA shows published fares and that is part of reason you cannot book. If you want to shop and book check out the tools section. I usually use Hipmunk or Google Flights which will take you to booking site.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:11 pm

Its annoying. So basically ITA is useless?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-tools-701/

You might want to look at other tools available. Each tool is useful for different functions. ITA has many good attributes. Being able to replicate all published rate on a confirmed ticket is not their issue. As you found out 1 of the segments is not available in the class needed to confirm the pricing. The pricing exists.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:37 pm

Thanks, for the info.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:53 pm

Is there a way to ask matrix only to return results matching a query when said results are the lowest price available for the defined routes / dates from any queried carrier? Many of us have companion tickets or other instruments whose use is constrained by the instrument provider to be limited to only the lowest available fares for a date / route combination.

Ie. A user may want to search a route, but may only be interested in results that are both the lowest available fare *and* being marketed by the airline they typically wish to credit their flights to.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mster
Is there a way to ask matrix only to return results matching a query when said results are the lowest price available for the defined routes / dates from any queried carrier? Many of us have companion tickets or other instruments whose use is constrained by the instrument provider to be limited to only the lowest available fares for a date / route combination.

Ie. A user may want to search a route, but may only be interested in results that are both the lowest available fare *and* being marketed by the airline they typically wish to credit their flights to.
Use, e.g., MH+ in the advanced routing codes to restrict results only to flights marketed by MH.

The advanced routing codes field appears when you click the Advanced Options link at the bottom of the search page.

I am not sure what you mean by "lowest available". By default ITA sorts by price and only shows you flights with available seats.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: QF Gold, SQ, AA, HA
Split booking for single fare

I'm looking at a fare on ITA Matrix for SYD-MUC via SIN (two hour stopover). On ITA Matrix it comes up as a single fare which can be booked SYD-MUC all the way through. When I try and actually book the fare online, it can't be found. However, if I try and book the fare as SYD-SIN then SIN-MUC (on the same day, with the same two-hour stopover), the fare appears and I can book it. I'm wondering, if I book the fare this way, does it still amount to the same thing (ie. a one-way SYD-MUC) or would I run into trouble with the booking if the SYD-SIN leg was running late and I missed the SIN-MUC leg?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrboh
I'm looking at a fare on ITA Matrix for SYD-MUC via SIN (two hour stopover). On ITA Matrix it comes up as a single fare which can be booked SYD-MUC all the way through. When I try and actually book the fare online, it can't be found. However, if I try and book the fare as SYD-SIN then SIN-MUC (on the same day, with the same two-hour stopover), the fare appears and I can book it. I'm wondering, if I book the fare this way, does it still amount to the same thing (ie. a one-way SYD-MUC) or would I run into trouble with the booking if the SYD-SIN leg was running late and I missed the SIN-MUC leg?
If it is on one ticket you will be protected in the event of delays, no matter how you searched for the segments.

If you are buying these flights in a single transaction then that is one ticket.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: QF Gold, SQ, AA, HA
Originally Posted by Calchas
If it is on one ticket you will be protected in the event of delays, no matter how you searched for the segments.

If you are buying these flights in a single transaction then that is one ticket.
That's great, thanks for your help!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Advanced syntax help

Have read various things that give the / f bc=y construction, but have not seen anywhere this combined with specific instructions across different airlines.

I am trying to find the following, what would be the complete syntax?

HKG-HND CX / fc=x
HND-YYZ AC / f bc=y|bc=b|bc=e|bc=h|bc=m|bc=n|bc=o|bc=v
YYZ-NRT AC / f bc=y|bc=b|bc=e|bc=h|bc=m|bc=n|bc=o|bc=v
NRT-HKG CX / fc=x

Obviously I can't put: CX AC AC / f bc=y|bc=b|bc=e|bc=h|bc=m|bc=n|bc=o|bc=v as this is trying to apply those booking classes to the CX flights as well, which messes it up.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by go_around
Have read various things that give the / f bc=y construction, but have not seen anywhere this combined with specific instructions across different airlines.

I am trying to find the following, what would be the complete syntax?

HKG-HND CX / fc=x
HND-YYZ AC / f bc=y|bc=b|bc=e|bc=h|bc=m|bc=n|bc=o|bc=v
YYZ-NRT AC / f bc=y|bc=b|bc=e|bc=h|bc=m|bc=n|bc=o|bc=v
NRT-HKG CX / fc=x
You are talking of different airlines, but the /f bc=X syntax applies to fares. A single fare issued by one airline can certainly cover different airlines, and it is quite normal for this to happen if there are connections at the remote end.

More importantly, the syntax only applies to the prime booking code of the fare. If the fare's booking code is overridden by the booking code table, then it will still find results under the prime fare.

So /f bc=F will still find you results in Y, if you have a First Class fare that for some reason books into Y on some sectors.

For example consider a trip from LBA-LHR-HND-ITM and back under BA with the final leg in JL, out in First Class (F) back in Premium Economy (W/E/T).

And the results include trips in J, H and Y classes even though I did not ask for them. [Curiously JL111 has J and I think F cabins, so being put in economy (H) is a bit of a slap in the face, but that's what the booking code table requires for the fare in question.]

That's because /f bc=F asked the Matrix to check the prime booking code under the fare(s) covering those sectors, which was certainly F (the first fare was BA F2UKTS). It was just overridden on some sectors.

If you are constructing an itinerary with lots of fares issued by lots of carriers you will run into trouble quickly doing this unless you know how they are going to play with each other.

Perhaps if you have a more specific question I can take a look for you?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
the syntax only applies to the prime booking code of the fare.
I didn't realize this; it is *very* interesting and useful.

So the "bc=" screens out by the fare's primary RBD (Reservation Booking Designator). Makes sense, and it's much more flexible than I understood it to be.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.