ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
BA is the only one I know that does it, and it just gives out two availabilities: one for EU countries (and probably a few non-EU ones, like CH), and one for rest of world.

I know for a fact that none of the U.S. airlines discriminate on availability (they don't have the systems), and that most Asian and Latin American ones implement discrimination based on fares (i.e. certain fares require a specific country of purchase) but the availability is the same everywhere.

IME it's certainly a very uncommon practice.
I know that BA, AF and LH distinguish (in probable violation of EC 1008/2008) on cities within the EC.

BA gets around it by saying "if you ask the Gold line we can show you availability from any EC state"*, and indeed I have got availability that was not available in AMS but was available in LON on that basis on a few occasions; but obviously most people do not know to ask for availability in a specific sales cities.

If indeed no one else bothers with geographical price discrimination, that is interesting to know. ^

Edit: * On the plus side it turns out they are also willing to violate the oneworld RTW fare rule that prevents you from buying a cheap RTW fare originating in CAI/JNB/etc from your local sales office priced in the foreign currency at the foreign dirt cheap rate, so it's not all bad!

Last edited by Calchas; Jun 4, 2015 at 7:49 pm
Old Jun 7, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
I'm looking at flying from Canada to LAS on UA metal, in order to avoid AC Rouge. Does anyone have any good tips on excluding UA codeshares on AC Rouge flights from ITA Matrix search results?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by i59bravo
I'm looking at flying from Canada to LAS on UA metal, in order to avoid AC Rouge. Does anyone have any good tips on excluding UA codeshares on AC Rouge flights from ITA Matrix search results?
I can think of two ways to do it:

Code:
/ -codeshare
but this eliminates all codeshares (which may be OK for your purposes). The second way is to find out if UA has grouped all the AC Rouge flights in a block of flight numbers, and if so, specify only the non-AC Rouge flight numbers.

For example, if you find out that the AC Rouge codeshares are in the UA6000-6499 range, you would use
Code:
UA1-5999,UA6500-9999+
(the + is for "one or more" to allow for connections)
Old Jun 7, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Originally Posted by hillrider
I can think of two ways to do it:

Code:
/ -codeshare
but this eliminates all codeshares (which may be OK for your purposes). The second way is to find out if UA has grouped all the AC Rouge flights in a block of flight numbers, and if so, specify only the non-AC Rouge flight numbers.

For example, if you find out that the AC Rouge codeshares are in the UA6000-6499 range, you would use
Code:
UA1-5999,UA6500-9999+
(the + is for "one or more" to allow for connections)
This should do it - thank you!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:18 am

ITA Matrix - seeking help! :)

Dear all,
I was hoping to get a little bit of help from you guys. I’ve been a silent reader of this forum for a while and have really benefitted from many of the posts that have been discussed here.

OK – so here’s the deal (and I know this is not uncommon). I regularly use ITA Matrix (as many of you) to look for flights. I think it’s a wonderful, handy tool which gives me a great indication for cheap flights when choosing my next holiday destination. Indication only, because I never (ever!) seem to manage to find the fares displayed by ITA Matrix. I have tried Expedia, Hipmunk, the airlines, Kayak, Orbitz and anything in between and I simply don’t manage. It’s not that I can’t find the flights or itinerary, but the price is just never the same (sometimes the difference is small, but very often the prices for bookable fares are 300-400 euros more expensive). Please note I only fly internationally as my base is AMS/BRU.

Now I am looking for my next Christmas break, and once again I find a great fare and the cheapest “bookable” option (same flights) comes out 200 euros more expensive. So, I thought I’d post here and see if I’m doing something wrong or if it’s just “bad luck”?

So, I am looking for a cheap-ish flight to South East Asia (anywhere it won’t be rain season, really) and ran into the following flight:
Outbound: Sat 19 dec 2015: BRU-KUL (via Doha, Qatar Airways flights 196 and 844)
Inbound: Sun 3 Jan 2016: KUL-AMS (via Doha, Qatar Airways flights 853 and 275)

ITA shows this for a price of 556 Euro (incredibly low, I know...). Qatar Airways website shows this itinerary as 2500 Euro.

Any idea on what I might be doing wrong?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Joost0308
Dear all,
I was hoping to get a little bit of help from you guys. I’ve been a silent reader of this forum for a while and have really benefitted from many of the posts that have been discussed here.

OK – so here’s the deal (and I know this is not uncommon). I regularly use ITA Matrix (as many of you) to look for flights. I think it’s a wonderful, handy tool which gives me a great indication for cheap flights when choosing my next holiday destination. Indication only, because I never (ever!) seem to manage to find the fares displayed by ITA Matrix. I have tried Expedia, Hipmunk, the airlines, Kayak, Orbitz and anything in between and I simply don’t manage. It’s not that I can’t find the flights or itinerary, but the price is just never the same (sometimes the difference is small, but very often the prices for bookable fares are 300-400 euros more expensive). Please note I only fly internationally as my base is AMS/BRU.

Now I am looking for my next Christmas break, and once again I find a great fare and the cheapest “bookable” option (same flights) comes out 200 euros more expensive. So, I thought I’d post here and see if I’m doing something wrong or if it’s just “bad luck”?

So, I am looking for a cheap-ish flight to South East Asia (anywhere it won’t be rain season, really) and ran into the following flight:
Outbound: Sat 19 dec 2015: BRU-KUL (via Doha, Qatar Airways flights 196 and 844)
Inbound: Sun 3 Jan 2016: KUL-AMS (via Doha, Qatar Airways flights 853 and 275)

ITA shows this for a price of 556 Euro (incredibly low, I know...). Qatar Airways website shows this itinerary as 2500 Euro.

Any idea on what I might be doing wrong?
Checked that route, cheapest I see on ITA is Lufthansa via FRA for €916. Qatar Airways is €1005.

Checking Kayak, I see Lufthansa for $869, Qatar for $893, both via Expedia. They appear to be bookable.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Checked that route, cheapest I see on ITA is Lufthansa via FRA for €916. Qatar Airways is €1005.

Checking Kayak, I see Lufthansa for $869, Qatar for $893, both via Expedia. They appear to be bookable.
Thanks for the quick reply. Very strange as I just re-ran a search on ITA Matrix and it still displays at 556 EUR on Qatar. I really don't get it.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:57 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Have you ticked the "Only show flights and prices with available seats" option?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by nux
Have you ticked the "Only show flights and prices with available seats" option?
Yep, I think that's also the standard setting.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact I'm doing BRU-KUL-AMS?
Really odd as other people seem to get completely different search results.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:07 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the issue just with QR? I have found ITA Matrix does not correctly find QR availability, and shows much lower fares.

See also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ta-matrix.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23703820-post385.html
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by nux
Is the issue just with QR? I have found ITA Matrix does not correctly find QR availability, and shows much lower fares.

See also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ta-matrix.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23703820-post385.html
Well, the next option i find (for instance) is a flight BRU-SIN-BRU with Finnair for 658 Euro.

Sat Dec 19 2015 BRU-HEL (812) and HEL-SIN (81)
Sun Jan 3 2016 SIN-HEL (82) and HEL-BRU (811, Jan 4)

Can't find that one either, the listed prices are not even remotely close to what's bookable out there.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:31 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joost0308
Well, the next option i find (for instance) is a flight BRU-SIN-BRU with Finnair for 658 Euro.

Sat Dec 19 2015 BRU-HEL (812) and HEL-SIN (81)
Sun Jan 3 2016 SIN-HEL (82) and HEL-BRU (811, Jan 4)

Can't find that one either, the listed prices are not even remotely close to what's bookable out there.
I can see that on ITA Matrix and when compared against actual fare bucket availability it is not possible to book. Seems ITA Matrix has an issue.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by nux
I can see that on ITA Matrix and when compared against actual fare bucket availability it is not possible to book. Seems ITA Matrix has an issue.
Thanks, that's what I figured. I guess I'll just go back to using Expedia and Skyscanner .
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:29 am

I always start ITA but double check with skyscanner or any OTA as soon as I have narrowed down the results. I've had price differences many times (for some reason it was usually TK).
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Internal server error ??

Is it just me or is matrix effectively down. Even the simplest search yields an "Internal server error" where all you can do is start over again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.