ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 9:06 am

I read somewhere that /f is only post-processing. Is that so? I've always tried to narrow down searches by specifying fare basis code so matrix can spend time on what's relevant, but is this then unnecessary?
Old May 18, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mbglo
I read somewhere that /f is only post-processing. Is that so? I've always tried to narrow down searches by specifying fare basis code so matrix can spend time on what's relevant, but is this then unnecessary?
Yes.

Somewhere upthread I discussed a case where giving an explicit fare basis found 0 results but not giving the basis gave results, including (eventually) results under the basis I originally specified.

The reason was that until the first few flights were selected, the Matrix didn't find results under that specified basis.

So the filter /f removed all the results, even though eventually the Matrix would have realized that the basis was allowed.

Last edited by Calchas; May 18, 2015 at 9:13 am
Old May 22, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Anybody else getting this error:
"Internal Error: Column index: 7, Column size: 7"

I'm doing a calendar search. Exact dates seems to be ok.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:10 pm

Cant figure out how to buy ITA ticket with exact departure times

I found a ticket I'd like to purchase using ITA and the total comes to $1133.20 using:
LAX SU X/MOW SU HEL 370.00THPX SU X/MOW SU LAX 370.00THPX NUC 740.00 END ROE 1.00 XT 5.50YC 7.00XY 5.00XA 35.40US 5.60AY 5.20DQ 9.70FI 1.30XU 297.60YQ 16.40YR 4.50XF LAX4.50

However, once I go to plug the ITA into hipmunk I can't find it at that price. I can find a similar ticket with different return flight departure times(same day, different times). Can someone please help me find the corresponding ticket at that price?

Code:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Moscow (SVO) — Mon, Jun 22
Aeroflot 107

Dep: 4:55 pm

Arr: 2:45 pm

11h 50m

Boeing 777

Economy (T)

[Lunch, Lunch]

Layover in SVO

Tue, Jun 23

3h 35m

Moscow (SVO) to Helsinki (HEL) — Tue, Jun 23
Aeroflot 2200

Dep: 6:20 pm

Arr: 8:05 pm

1h 45m

Airbus A319

Economy (T)

[Snack or Brunch]

Helsinki (HEL) to Los Angeles (LAX) — Wed, Jul 8

[Long layover] [Overnight flight]

Helsinki (HEL) to Moscow (SVO) — Wed, Jul 8
Aeroflot 2201

Dep: 8:55 pm

Arr: 10:30 pm

1h 35m

Airbus A319

Economy (T)

[Snack or Brunch]

Layover in SVO

14h 15m

Moscow (SVO) to Los Angeles (LAX) — Thu, Jul 9
Aeroflot 106

Dep: 12:45 pm

Arr: 3:05 pm

12h 20m

Boeing 777

Economy (T)
Old May 29, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheCrispyToast
I found a ticket I'd like to purchase using ITA and the total comes to $1133.20 using:
Did you try SU?

SU is selling a Q fare with only one seat left. I guess the T seats have gone but the Matrix isn't aware of it.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:22 pm

Hi guys, first time poster but long time lurker. I've seen this fare for just over a week now on Matrix and never had a problem before. Unfortunately, I can't get any one to book it, despite still coming up every day at this price. I've tried 2 local travel agent offices, called Cathay Pacific Toronto and Australia booking numbers, but no luck. Also tried all the online usuals, Orbitz, Hipmunk, Expedia, etc. etc. But no one can reproduce this fare. PLEASE HELP!

Toronto (YYZ) to Brisbane (BNE) — Thu, Oct 8
Long layover

Toronto (YYZ) to Hong Kong (HKG) — Thu, Oct 8
Cathay Pacific 829
Dep: 1:45 am
Arr: 5:00 am
15h 15m
Boeing 777
Economy (V)

Layover in HKG
Fri, Oct 9
7h 50m

Hong Kong (HKG) to Brisbane (BNE) — Fri, Oct 9
Cathay Pacific 157
Dep: 12:50 pm
Arr: 11:25 pm
8h 35m
Airbus A330
Economy (V)

Brisbane (BNE) to Toronto (YYZ) — Fri, Oct 30
Overnight flight

Brisbane (BNE) to Hong Kong (HKG) — Fri, Oct 30
Cathay Pacific 156
Dep: 12:50 am
Arr: 7:25 am
8h 35m
Airbus A330
Economy (V)

Layover in HKG
3h 15m

Hong Kong (HKG) to Toronto (YYZ) — Fri, Oct 30
Cathay Pacific 828
Dep: 10:40 am
Arr: 1:30 pm
14h 50m
Boeing 777
Economy (V)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees)
CA$1,717.86
Total cost for 2 passengers
CA$3,435.72

I can pay in Canadian dollars = $3435 or approximately $2758 USD for 2. Either will be fine.

Further Matrix copy and paste:

Provide this information to a travel agent to help them match the fares found.
Make sure to provide the exact booking and fare codes shown.
Fare for 2 adults
Fare 1: Carrier CX VXE6M YTO to BNE (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code V
Covers YYZ-HKG (Economy), HKG-BNE (Economy)
CA$705.77
Fare 2: Carrier CX VWE6M BNE to YTO (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code V
Covers BNE-HKG (Economy), HKG-YYZ (Economy)
CA$720.77
Australian Safety & Security Surcharge (WG)
CA$3.70
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY)
CA$23.00
CX YR surcharge (YR)
CA$130.80
Toronto Airport Improvement Fee (SQ)
CA$25.00
Canadian Harmonized Sales Tax (ON) (RC)
CA$3.25
Canadian Air Travelers Security Charge (CA)
CA$25.91
Australia AU (AU)
CA$52.50
Australian Safety & Security Surcharge (WG)
CA$3.70
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY)
CA$23.00
Subtotal per passenger
CA$1,717.86
Number of passengers
x2
Subtotal For 2 adults
CA$3,435.72
Changes to this ticket will incur a penalty fee.
Fare Construction (can be useful to travel agents)
YTO CX X/HKG CX BNE Q5.80 557.31VXE6M CX X/HKG CX YTO Q5.80 569.27VWE6M NUC 1138.18 END ROE 1.253340 XT 25.91CA 3.25RC 25.00SQ 52.50AU 7.40WG 46.00WY 130.80YR

Hope someone can help. Thank you all!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rochbaz
Hi guys, first time poster but long time lurker. I've seen this fare for just over a week now on Matrix and never had a problem before. Unfortunately, I can't get any one to book it, despite still coming up every day at this price. I've tried 2 local travel agent offices, called Cathay Pacific Toronto and Australia booking numbers, but no luck. Also tried all the online usuals, Orbitz, Hipmunk, Expedia, etc. etc. But no one can reproduce this fare. PLEASE HELP!
Welcome to FlyerTalk rochbaz. Thanks for joining us here.

It is possible that this is a glitch in the Matrix (pardon the reference) and this fare is not bookable; probably because of an availability problem.

When you spoke to CX or your TAs, what did they say?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
Welcome to FlyerTalk rochbaz. Thanks for joining us here.

It is possible that this is a glitch in the Matrix (pardon the reference) and this fare is not bookable; probably because of an availability problem.

When you spoke to CX or your TAs, what did they say?

Thanks for the quick reply and welcome! The troubling part is that I've been given different information each time, which is a little confusing. The flight was bookable on Orbitz for approximately $200 higher all the way to the checkout process, but that has since risen again. This whole time however, the price remained the same on Matrix.

The local travel agents said booking code V didn't exist?
Cathay Pacific Australia could only book for a much higher rate in Australia dollars, and Cathay Pacific Toronto said the flight didn't exist? Which makes the least sense!

It's kind of funny really, but incredibly frustrating at the same time!

Was hoping someone here had access to a better TA or knew what was so complicated with what I thought would be a straightforward booking.

Thanks for the help ^
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rochbaz
Thanks for the quick reply and welcome! The troubling part is that I've been given different information each time, which is a little confusing. The flight was bookable on Orbitz for approximately $200 higher all the way to the checkout process, but that has since risen again. This whole time however, the price remained the same on Matrix.

The local travel agents said booking code V didn't exist?
Cathay Pacific Australia could only book for a much higher rate in Australia dollars, and Cathay Pacific Toronto said the flight didn't exist? Which makes the least sense!

It's kind of funny really, but incredibly frustrating at the same time!

Was hoping someone here had access to a better TA or knew what was so complicated with what I thought would be a straightforward booking.

Thanks for the help ^
Sometimes the Matrix does price things wrongly. A 200 CAD difference would probably be acceptable to me if I tried all the alternatives.

However, your conversations with CX don't sound very reassuring (or competent)! Were you able to price it at all on their websites? What if Google Flights?

Did you talk to a TA in person?

If you happen to be passing through Toronto airport in the near future you could drop the Matrix print out off at the CX desk and ask them to sort it out.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you've found a Matrix bug.

There is no "V" availability on your outbound legs, and for some reason Matrix is not seeing this. Hopefully the ITA person who lurks here (and who's very good) will have a more in-depth explanation about what's going on.

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Availability Search
Departing YTO on 15/10/08 0:00 for BNE
Returning on 15/10/30 0:00 
Flying CX   on booking class V        

Frequency
Flight        Stops  Depart             Arrive             Aircraft  Reliability     Available Classes
1 Connection
CX 829        0      YYZ                HKG                77W       Daily           V0 
                     15/10/08 1:45      15/10/09 5:00                82% / 19m
CX 157        0      HKG                BNE                333       M,F             V0 
                     15/10/09 12:50     15/10/09 23:25               77% / 16m
I've looked +/- 7 days and it's V0 throughout.

On the flights you're listing I'm seeing a CAD2270 price, with a KLXCX1Y fare on the outbound and the VWE6M on the inbound.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
I think you've found a Matrix bug.

There is no "V" availability on your outbound legs, and for some reason Matrix is not seeing this. Hopefully the ITA person who lurks here (and who's very good) will have a more in-depth explanation about what's going on.

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Availability Search
Departing YTO on 15/10/08 0:00 for BNE
Returning on 15/10/30 0:00 
Flying CX   on booking class V        

Frequency
Flight        Stops  Depart             Arrive             Aircraft  Reliability     Available Classes
1 Connection
CX 829        0      YYZ                HKG                77W       Daily           V0 
                     15/10/08 1:45      15/10/09 5:00                82% / 19m
CX 157        0      HKG                BNE                333       M,F             V0 
                     15/10/09 12:50     15/10/09 23:25               77% / 16m
I've looked +/- 7 days and it's V0 throughout.

On the flights you're listing I'm seeing a CAD2270 price, with a KLXCX1Y fare on the outbound and the VWE6M on the inbound.
I agree that this is probably the reason, but you are doing your availability search in the USA. The CX YTO office will not necessarily see the same availability as ExpertFlyer does.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that this is probably the reason, but you are doing your availability search in the USA. The CX YTO office will not necessarily see the same availability as ExpertFlyer does.
I was unaware CX discriminated availability by country of sale (do you know for sure?)

In any case it's easy enough to check: I ran a query on http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_CA.html and CX Canada returned the same CAD 2270.56 I got from another source.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was unaware CX discriminated availability by country of sale (do you know for sure?)
It is a common practise in the industry, but I do not know specifically for CX. It may well be that CX does not.

In any case it's easy enough to check: I ran a query on http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_CA.html and CX Canada returned the same CAD 2270.56 I got from another source.
^ ^

In this case I would suspect that it is probably a Matrix bug. ITA Support may be able to advise.

Another way to test this is to ask the Matrix to search from a different Point of Sale in the advance options.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:54 pm

Thanks for all the replies and ideas!

So it sounds like it could be a bug, but I guess either way that fare is truly unbookable then? Even if I pay in CAD, AUD or USD?

I really need departing YYZ on the 8th or 9th and return from BNE on the 29th or 30th. I suppose the $1700 CAD with only one stopover fare was too good to be true
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a common practise in the industry.
BA is the only one I know that does it, and it just gives out two availabilities: one for EU countries (and probably a few non-EU ones, like CH), and one for rest of world.

I know for a fact that none of the U.S. airlines discriminate on availability (they don't have the systems), and that most Asian and Latin American ones implement discrimination based on fares (i.e. certain fares require a specific country of purchase) but the availability is the same everywhere.

IME it's certainly a very uncommon practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.