ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP 2015, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Diamond Marriott Silver Alamo Budget Hertz
UA use to run a 747 between ORD and SFO a few years back..not sure if it is still on the schedule.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 2:42 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Originally Posted by sokolov
Today I searched for a rather simple itinerary: NYC to VIE, one way, Economy, 1 passenger Dec 21st +/-2 days.

Cheapest according to Matrix: AB at $616 (via DUS) (and many other option for various price points, from direct to 2 stops)

Then I did the same search adding "X" as an option.

Cheapest according to Matrix: same as above, AB at $616 (via DUS)

Then I did the same search but with "X:SVO" as an option.

Suddenly a cheaper flight with SU for $ 547 was found. The travel time is not extreme in any way and very comparable to many othe results show before.

Why does the Matrix miss the cheapest result? Bug or feature?

Even after repeating the original search, the cheaper SU connection was missing from the results. It doesn't seem to be a learning system. Not a single SU flight was offered.
I agree with sokolov. ITA Matrix misses many complicated solutions. They may not seem complex to us but remember that these are machines and thank god they aren't that smart yet. As for why ITA seems to have diminished its capabilities in the last 18 months, Google may have turned the "volume" down a bit.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Question on ITA software

Sorry if this is incorrect place to post.

Often when I'm searching for business class or higher fares a really cheap price will come up and when I look at flight details, the price is for economy not business.

For example, searching NY-DEL 1/10/13 8-10 nights flexible dates business class
an option is $1458 on delta in economy T class outbound H class inbound. Or $1728 all H class. When searching Delta T and H class they do not seem to be instant upgrade fares. They are upgradable domestic fare classes but this is an international flight.

Same thing happens searching NY-PVG 1/17/13 flex 10-16 nights I get $1393 on US Air economy S class.

I can then hit back button and uncheck that airline to see the real business class fares but what am I doing wrong in the original search that allows these economy fares to come up. Or are these economy fares actually seats in business class (like the Delta S class).

Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:07 am

My guess is that this thread will be moved to Travel Tools, but regardless, I don't believe you're doing anything wrong, it's simply a quirk of ITA. ITA seems to default to Economy for flights which may have J-class available, but not in a manner that's always combinable. If you notice, in the initial display of fares, at least when viewing them using the Time Bars format as I do, the detail for those non-Business fares don't display, even though they're in the matrix above.

If any flight in an itinerary is not all in the class you requested, a warning icon appears in gray to the right in the Advisory column to alert you to this situation.

Some time search for First Class instead of Business. It'll return Economy/Coach fares instead of Business for some itineraries, even if the airline offers Business. Those results tell me there's some display quirk having to do with the underlying inventory.

Perhaps someone else has a better explanation, but I've never seen a way to restrict those out-of-desired-class entries from displaying in the calendar.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:21 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 2:06 am
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:58 pm

It seems that Google has "integrated" the Matrix in their systems, which has diminished the quality a lot.
When I click "Help" on a Matrix results page I get a "not found" message from Google. No way to get in touch with the Matrix team any longer.

Today I looked for specific dates +/-2 days on a return flight from YHZ to PRG. Min price is C$ 856. When I look for YHZ to "PRG, OSR" the minimum prize rises (!) over $80. The cheaper connections are lost although they do not have more connections than then more expensive ones.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:01 am
Company Representative - Superfly

Originally Posted by Deltahater
It has been said here before, but ITA's usability has decreased substantially for us.
Deltahater,

HAve you ever tried Superfly?
We use similar seat availability technology (like ITA, Everbread and Vayant) and provide a personalize sorting that includes value of miles earned.

Would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,

Jonathan Meiri
CEO Superfly

ps. for miles junkies, check review of Superbox.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:48 am

Ita matrix user issues

Anyone else hard tme using ita? Lately i keep getting Server Busy message. Especially on iphone.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:52 am

Yes, I've noticed that a lot recently as well. "Please try again"... Usually takes me anywhere from 2 to 20 times to get a search through.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EX PLT, AS MVPG, AR PLT,SPG GOLD
same here ..lots of people trying to start the year off to a fast start I guess.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:21 am

Ok. I thought it was just me.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
I've running into this problem for a couple of weeks.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:49 pm

Same here. It's been going on for some time - at several days. I can't get a single search to complete.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:08 pm

The past two days it has become impossible to search fares. Usually the first search works then I continue to get errors.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:30 pm

Also having issues for the last couple days, getting "server unable to process your request" error. ugh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.