ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2013, 6:49 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by Quarantine
Hey guys,

I was playing around with ITA for a while and noticed the following:

It indicates a stop at BLL from AAL. However, when I tried to key this into ITA or TK's website, it doesn't provide any results. What does the 'stop' at BLL indicate?
The flight from AAL to IST is a single flight, with a stop in BLL. Note the same flight number before and after the stop. You may or may not have to get off the plane at BLL and/or change planes.

Some websites would not show the stop in BLL, or at most mark the flight as "one stop". Others like ours think it is more honest to give them basically the same visual treatment as a stop where the flight number changes.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Thanks jib and ITA Hacker! Good to know!

To further clarify my first post (I just realised it wasn't very clear), I meant that I tried to enter a route from AAL to BLL into either ITA or TK's website with no results. I assume that meant that the route doesn't exist or that you're not allowed to stop at BLL, which was why I was puzzled by the 'stop' that appeared on ITA from AAL to IST.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:29 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by Quarantine
Thanks jib and ITA Hacker! Good to know!

To further clarify my first post (I just realised it wasn't very clear), I meant that I tried to enter a route from AAL to BLL into either ITA or TK's website with no results. I assume that meant that the route doesn't exist or that you're not allowed to stop at BLL, which was why I was puzzled by the 'stop' that appeared on ITA from AAL to IST.
The flight TK1347 appears to go in a circle: IST-AAL-BLL-IST. The way the data is filed you can fly any of the following:
IST-AAL
IST-AAL-BLL
IST-AAL-BLL-IST (!!)
AAL-BLL-IST
BLL-IST

Notably, they have prohibited flying just AAL-BLL. Other airline industry rules will prevent flying the IST-AAL-BLL-IST all as one flight with two stops, since fare rules wouldn't find any way to pay for it.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:39 pm

Help with ITA Matrix (MAN-NYC/BOS-MAN)

Hey...

I know this comes up again and again but I am really struggling to find this flight with travel agents, online - Kayak, Orbitz etc and at the airlines directly!

Details from ITA Matrix are:
Manchester (MAN) to New York (JFK) - Sun, Aug 18
Finnair Oyj Finnair Oyj 5801 Dep: 9:50AM Arr: 12:40PM 7h 50m Boeing 757 Economy (N)
OPERATED BY AMERICAN AIRLINES INC.

Boston (BOS) to Manchester (MAN) - Mon, Aug 26
Finnair Oyj Boston (BOS) to New York (JFK) - Mon, Aug 26
Finnair Oyj 5694 Dep: 2:40PM Arr: 4:05PM 1h 25m Boeing 737 Economy (N)
OPERATED BY AMERICAN AIRLINES INC. Layover in JFK 3h 15m

Finnair Oyj New York (JFK) to Manchester (MAN) - Mon, Aug 26
Finnair Oyj 5790 Dep: 7:20PM Arr: 7:25AM 7h 5m Boeing 757 Economy (N)
OPERATED BY AMERICAN AIRLINES INC. Tue, Aug 27
Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) Ł594.80
Total cost for 5 passengers Ł2,974.00

How to buy this ticket
Tickets cannot be purchased directly from ITA Software.
Provide this information to a travel agent to help them match the fares found.
Make sure to provide the exact booking and fare codes shown.
Fare 1: Carrier AY NKWUKJB MAN to NYC (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code N
Covers MAN-JFK (Economy)
Ł153.00
Fare 2: Carrier AY NKXUKJB BOS to MAN (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code N
Covers BOS-JFK (Economy), JFK-MAN (Economy)
Ł107.00
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) Ł3.30
US Immigration Fee (XY) Ł4.60
US Customs Fee (YC) Ł3.60
United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty (GB) Ł67.00
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) Ł14.60
(YR) Ł213.00
US International Arrival Tax (US) Ł11.30
US International Departure Tax (US) Ł11.30
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) Ł3.20
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) Ł2.90

Subtotal per passenger Ł594.80
Number of passengers x5

TOTAL AIRFARE & TAXES Ł2,974.00
This ticket is non-refundable.
Changes to this ticket will incur a penalty fee.
Fare construction (can be useful to travel agents)
MAN AY NYC M 236.28NKWUKJB /-BOS AY X/NYC AY MAN M 165.24NKXUKJB NUC 401.52 END ROE 0.647533 XT 67.00GB 14.60UB 3.60YC 4.60XY 3.30XA 22.60US 3.20AY 213.00YR 2.90XF JFK4.50

The only hope I have had has been from Hipmunk but when it routes me to Priceline I get the price as $917.20USD for all 5 passengers!! When I do a search for 1 passenger on Hipmunk, it routes me to Priceline which gives me price $917.20USD for 1 passenger. And when I search for 2, 3, or even 4 passengers, the price is always the same, total $917.20USD for all passengers regardless of the number. Actually the price per passenger changes by dividing the elusive $917.20USD by total number of passengers.

Please help me find these tickets!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; Hilton Diamond; National Exec
There is no AA flight 211 MAN - JFK operating on Aug18 according to aa.com. Think ITA is mistaken.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by ats262
There is no AA flight 211 MAN - JFK operating on Aug18 according to aa.com. Think ITA is mistaken.
I just checked, and there is AA211 on 18 Aug. However AA.com has extremely limited availability on the flight, and Finnair is sold out.

The only place I have managed to find the availability with is Priceline.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
I am seeing a bunch of such variations between ITA, Airline site and another Consolidator search engine. Wierd!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: Too Many to Count
Still seeing it on Chrome. Have to use IE - ugh!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:22 am

I just updated chrome on my Mac and am having no problems. No problems on my iPad either.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:20 pm

Question ITA - End of Schedule booking UA

Hi,
I saw ITA can price UA ATL - HNL deal for September 13 to September 20 (2014), but I can't find where to book it. The return is out of 330 days so united.com and by telephone don't work.
Does anyone know where to book it or why ITA shows price? Ita only shows price for United not the other airlines
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
ITA prices it because UA has already published the schedule for those dates. You may want to try using Hipmunk to force UA.sux to price the itin.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
ITA prices it because UA has already published the schedule for those dates. You may want to try using Hipmunk to force UA.sux to price the itin.
Thanx. Hipmunk is not even showing September 2014.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Discrepancy between ITA and Sabre?

I'm finding that ITA seems to be off by $9 on YYZ->LAX.

I've been specifically looking at 12/30, and on AA. ITA prices at $396, but, AA/Travelocity/etc price at $405. Not a big deal generally, but, since I wanted to use US Bank Flexperks for booking that has a reward chart where anything above $400 requires an extra 10K points (which has a value up to $200 if used properly), it's rather disappointing to say the least. Or more accurately said, it's making the plan to use the flexpoints a 'no go'.

Kind of curious what's causing the $9 difference? Some 'booking fee' that ITA isn't accounting for? Even confirmed with travel agent that fare is: AA NA30ERC1, but, she get's $405.13 and ITA reports $395.50

Regardless I guess I really can't do much for getting my Flexperks redemption to come in under $400, but, still awfully curious as to where this difference is coming in. In the past ITA has matched up exactly...in my experience anyway.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
I think I see where the issue may be.

Some mismatch on exchange rate.

If I price in CAD, then prices match up exactly. Seems ITA uses an FX rate that is more closer to actual rate vs the booking sites I guess (CAD/USD: 1.036 vs 1.012)
Old Oct 21, 2013, 6:50 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Kind of curious what's causing the $9 difference?
There is a difference in applicable taxes, depending on the POS ($395 USD for POS CA and $405 for POS US).

You can change the POS option on the Matrix website to see the difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.