ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
ITA Matrix Search: http://matrix.itasoftware.com

You can sometimes see flights, fares and detailed fare rules that may not be reflected on an airline's website. Please read the thread for some tips and tricks, screen shots, etc.

A related thread, ITA-Matrix-PowerTools - Userscript for Orbitz/DL/UA/AA/BA/CZ/IB/LA/LH/LX/TK, discusses a user script which is maintained by fellow flyertalk members to enhance the already powerful Matrix of ITA Software by providing new features and booking links.

Additional details and tips on the use of ITA's advanced routing code feature can be found in the following long-standing Mileage Run Discussion threads:

Print Wikipost

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:19 am

ITA Matrix not showing lowest fare--again. Please post here

I think it might be helpful if there were a thread on which we could all post cases in which Google ITA software isn't catching the lowest--or even close to lowest--fares. If there seems to be a common pattern then we users will be more aware of where to not look and where to look for cheapest (or in this case, cheaper) fares.

So, I'll start.

ORBITZ:
$368 Total cost

Leave
Thu, Jul 26 7:00 AM Miami MIA 2:00 PM Oaxaca OAX 1 stop 8hr 0min

AeroMexico 429 / 2098
Flight 2098 Operated by AEROLITORAL DBA AEROMEXICO CONNECT

Return
Tue, Aug 14 12:15 PM Oaxaca OAX 6:20 PM Miami MIA 1 stop 5hr 5min

AeroMexico 544 / 426
Flight 544 Operated by AEROLITORAL DBA AEROMEXICO CONNECT

ITA MATRIX

All flights
AeroMexico American Multiple Airlines Delta United
From $566 From $678 From $959 From $992 From $1,412

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, with the above: Orbitz has the AeroMexico flight starting at $368 for numerous flights. It then goes up to $371, $386, $388, $403, $529 --and this is just for the first 75 flights offered!

But ITA is listing the cheapest fare at $566--hasn't budged for the past 10 days, despite decreases I've seen on other sites (Vayama and Kayak).

This is not an isolated instance; last week I was checking the same flight, different dates, and sure enough, Orbitz had another 75+ offerings that were lower than those listed on ITA.

Would be nice to know why the ITA system isn't catching these. Doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in their software.

Last edited by elizadoo; Jul 20, 2012 at 10:26 am Reason: I'm a terrible typist
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Since I believe this thread is about the ITA tool itself rather than a discussion about MR's I'll move this to the most appropriate forum which is the "Travel Tools" forum for futher debate.

tcook052
MR Forum Moderator
Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Good idea, elizadoo.

I don't have specific examples at my fingertips, but since ITA changed hands, I, too, have found it much less reliable than before. I used to go to ITA and then go to the airlines website to book my ticket. Checking other sites never seemed to turn up anything better.

It's still a great starting point, but it's only a starting point now. Some of the results I got almost made me wonder if behind the scenes they are deliberately skewing things in favor of certain fare classes or airlines or routes - something. I often start with ITA, but then I follow-up on Kayak or Orbitz or other sites to actually find the best deal.

I'm going through a non-flying patch. Is the old Matrix still out there? Have you tried the same search on both old and new to see if the results are still the same? I think it unlikely, but I wonder if the old and new versions are using different software. (Note to self: try 'old' matrix next time, if it's still available).
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: (almost) everything!
Originally Posted by elizadoo
ORBITZ:
$368 Total cost
This is a web fare, which ITA has not supported for years. Nothing new.

Has ITA ever guaranteed the lowest fare? They are not even booking engine.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Tclin
This is a web fare, which ITA has not supported for years. Nothing new.

Has ITA ever guaranteed the lowest fare? They are not even booking engine.
?? Did someone suggest that ITA guaranteed lowest fares? or that ITA is a booking engine?

I've used ITA for a long time. Since it changed hands, I (and others) have noticed that it doesn't appear to function as well/the same as it once did - and this includes providing lower fares. I used to find it quite reliable; now I routinely find lower fares than ITA displayed, and they haven't all been webfares.

I think OP has a good idea - post specific examples here. Perhaps, as in this case, we'll get a better understanding of ITA's results.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:11 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:48 am
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: (almost) everything!
Originally Posted by chollie
?? Did someone suggest that ITA guaranteed lowest fares? or that ITA is a booking engine?
Then, what the OP is trying to accomplish here?

Many are thinking they have to show the lowest.
(not sure the OP's intention though)

Nothing wrong with the OP's idea, but I do not see any issues on his/her example. That's all.

Last edited by Tclin; Jul 20, 2012 at 4:29 pm
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
is there a way to search with ITA much like skyscanner searches or kayak/explore where you put departure city and it provides results for a wide array of destinations and prices?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:46 pm
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
is there a way to search with ITA much like skyscanner searches or kayak/explore where you put departure city and it provides results for a wide array of destinations and prices?
Yes and no. Give it too much to search and it will give up and hand you bad results. Best to decide a few airports you're interested in, and use those in the destination field. "SFO, LAX, ONT" for example.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:39 am

ITA Matrix Business Class Or Higher Search... Accurate?

Was looking at some fares on ITA Software for LAX to NRT... despite choosing the "Business Class or Higher" search, the fares are still showing up as Economy.

For example:

LAX > NRT
10/15/12 - 10/26/12
Returns Malaysia Airlines for $880

But the two flights are Economy(Q), and Economy(N).

Does that mean it's an upgraded economy, or is it just being inaccurate?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
It's just being inaccurate. If the ITA's price is way too low, then it's probably not in J.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
ITA is but one tool in the MRs pocket.
What is left for a MR to use? The FT page on farecompare is long gone, and the present version of ITA gives itns that are unbookable, as they do not comply with fare restrictions.

I have had to resort to "brute force" searches, which is extremely time consuming.

Would you care to share what MR tools you have in your pocket? Perhaps I have missed something, but there seems to be very few accurate tools for MR useage these days.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Do any FTers offer their services to search mileage runs for people who do not have enough time to invest in researching themselves?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by angatol
It might be more appropriate in the travel tools forum.
Agree as that forum is the better venue for what is a question about the travel tool itself rather than a MR of some kind.

Note that the "Travel Tools" forum discusses ITA regularly so members seeking input on the tool might be best to start there with future queries.

tcook052
MR Forum Moderator
Old Aug 4, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
ITA Matrix

This morning I was pounding (manually, no scripts) ITA matrix quickly with rt's JFK-(various Europe cities), and got this message:

"Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later.

This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the Terms of Service. The block will expire shortly after those requests stop.

This traffic may have been sent by malicious software, a browser plug-in, or a script that sends automated requests. If you share your network connection, ask your administrator for help — a different computer using the same IP address may be responsible.

Sometimes you may see this page if you are using advanced terms that robots are known to use, or sending requests very quickly."

Giving ITA a few min of rest allowed me to continue. This kind of sucks. I don't think Google understands that they have some very heavy, but completely legitimate, users.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.